Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Can you put a slider in a box like this?

If we go witih the slider I think it could look pretty slick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    First scene, Big black bar buttons Scene could be titled Scripture Library Each Big black bar button could then list the book name Old Testament / New Testament / A Book Name / B Book Name / C Book Name and so on. It could be a scrolling screen. You click the big button takes you to the books within the library title. This 2nd scene would be a scrolling list. You click on Mathew for example, and it takes you to the Start of Mathew, but then has a pop up scrolling list to select chapter number and another popup to select verse number. The second one if not selected would default to the start of the chapter. Pop up I'm thinking is like the one you get in the clock app when selecting the minutes I believe. You select the Chapter and verse, hit a go button, and it loads up the single file for that book (Mathew) and takes you to the chapter and verse you want. You can scroll up and down within that book from that spot. the Back gesture should always take you back just to the last place you navigated from.

I have been toying with this whole thing for 2 weeks now, and took a break when I couldn't figure out how to navigate to a specific spot in the book file. (Chapter 2 Verse 3 for example) In Html it would be with Anchors.

I'm great with visualization and flow, just not a very good coder yet.
  3.    #83  
    SirataXero. Give me about one or two days an I'll get you a couple of books that you can use to insert your navigation heirachal idea. If you want to get started go ahead and play with the Habakkuk book as I think that is probably the format we will end up going with. You could just cut out the unformatted part at the end or fix it all yourself whatever you like.

We just need those navigation controls on a page or two to get the rest of them done quickly.
    Hey guys,

Honestly speaking, if you really want a slider, It'll be no sweat at all. As Kaerey showed, but my personal preference is numbers. What I have attached is what I'm working on right now. If you really want, we could include an option in the menus where you could alternate between slider or the way I've done it. Better yet, we could ultimately make a preferences page which saves your preference (via... radio buttons?) and implements those in all the books then. Anyway, take a look. Ofcourse, these are not functional as of yet, but let me know what you guys think:
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey guys,

Honestly speaking, if you really want a slider, It'll be no sweat at all. As Kaerey showed, but my personal preference is numbers. What I have attached is what I'm working on right now. If you really want, we could include an option in the menus where you could alternate between slider or the way I've done it. Better yet, we could ultimately make a preferences page which saves your preference (via... radio buttons?) and implements those in all the books then. Anyway, take a look. Ofcourse, these are not functional as of yet, but let me know what you guys think:
    Looks good to me!
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Also another thing I just noticed, you can override the default actions of the back command via handleCommand.

Mojo.Event.back is the handler for the back command.

I would strongly recommend against it, since trying to integrate into the Pre itself, changing what this feature does might confuse some people. However, if it's really needed and ends up being intuitive and practical. It's there.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    SirataXero, With the navigation you have there it looks nice. Only question, if you go to a specific verse can you still keep scrolling and reading further down? Do the arrows navigate to next verse or next chapter? What does the back gesture do? Can you pinch to enlarge and shrink the text?
  8.    #88  
    I like the 1st one for looks. Can you please detail the use of the 3(?) bottons on top and 3(?) on bottom?

Oh and no, I'd rather not spend time on a slider for now although it could be useful for the next version.
    Well, as of right now, neither of them do much of anything. haha. I just designed it for looks to make sure you guys like it. I'm working on adding functionality. I want to configure them to be hidden on command in case the reader wants the whole screen while they read, but of course they are transparent. I'm having some trouble setting their Model to visible: false. For some reason modelChanged() doesn't care if the model is changed or not... haha.

As I stated earlier, I'm not positive about the organization of the bible itself, but assuming this "app" would be for one book alone, the top would be a list of clickable chapters, with the arrows going to next/previous chapter. The bottom would then be for verse. So in my example, you are on chapter 3, verse 20. I assume since you can pick the chapter from the top, the chapter number (3) would be static while you are able to pick the verse number (20). However, if we are keeping the entire bible as one app, I could change the top section from "Chapter Name" to "Book Name" so you could navigate to whatever book you would like, and then both the chapter number and the verse number on the bottom would be selectable.

As of right now, I think if we have each book be its own html file, picking the chapter/verse numbers on the bottom would lead you to the chapter/verse (via anchors) while the rest of the book is still available. However, if I were to use DOM structure, I think it would eliminate everything else and ONLY show you the specific chapter/verse that you have selected. What do you guys think? Would you still want everything available? Or would you want only what you selected? You would still have the arrows to be able to easily go back or forward if you can only see one verse at a time. Also, I believe we could make it so that the first launch shows the entire book, but if you pick a specific verse it can get rid of everything else and only show you the verse you picked...

ahhhhh so many choices...

Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I'll try to clarify with screenshots.

I guess before working on the menu options, I should try to take the Habakkuk book and apply the menu on it to see how it looks... : /.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Hey frankos, I took the Hab.zip file from your post here, and I'll be working it into my sample app to get some functionality into the menu buttons. Let's see if it works.

If you have another book (or a newer version) that you are working on, post it up, otherwise I'll just start on this one.

Also, I looked at your hab scene and in the beginning you make a space by using two <br> tags. As practical as that is, I really like divs and mojo style so I use this:
    Code:
    <div class="palm-header-spacer"></div>
    hahaha granted it does the same thing, but it just looks better.

*edit*

I just saw your post after that one where you have the "finished" simplebible app. It looks REALLY good! I'm VERY impressed! I'll work on implementing my menu options into that one instead. So as of right now, the menu items will come up on each scene (whenever a book is opened). Let's see if this works...
    Last edited by SirataXero; 07/20/2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Random Thoughts: by CK

If a script can be written to to do all the heavy lifting in converting the source files then great. Forgive me for not being a believer (in scripting, not scripture), but I think we will still have to walk through the code line by line to add/correct the things that an automated script can't handle.

you'd be surprised what a dom parser combined with regex can do (or even just regex by itself)!
  12.    #92  
    That's the newest one for now. It would be best to have a whole book in the scene at one time. Reading a book would be annoying if you could only bring up one sentance at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    Can you put a slider in a box like this?

If we go Wit the slider I think it could look pretty slick.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey guys,

Honestly speaking, if you really want a slider, It'll be no sweat at all. As Kaerey showed, but my personal preference is numbers...
    S-

How we use our Bibles is graphical. You look at where you are. You can jump from Mt 5 to Mt 23 is a second in a paper Bible because you can see where you are. Or it is 18 clicks to count it out by numbers.

The problem with every Bible program I have ever tried is that they are digital. But we learned to use our Bibles graphically. A paper book is analog.

The slider lets us skim through the Bible like it is a Bible, like we always have.

Wait until you see how smooth this will be.

Do the number thing if you want but please let the slider be an option.

- Craig
  14.    #94  
    Here are the basics of the bible structure.

It is a large collection of books.

The books can be anywhere from a few paragraphs to many chapters long.

The books are broken into two collections, Old Testament and New Testament.

Each book has chapters as do most books.

Most people will read a several verses at once so a single verse view is impratical.
    Each chapter is comprised of Verses. You could look at them as numbered sentances although they aren't always exactly a sentance.

Verse numbers were added to the bible to make it easier to reference a particular passage.
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/20/2009 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    S-
    The problem with every Bible program I have ever tried is that they are digital. But we learned to use our Bibles graphically. A paper book is analog.
    The slider lets us skim through the Bible like it is a Bible, like we always have.
    Wait until you see how smooth this will be.
    Do the number thing if you want but please let the slider be an option.
    - Craig
    Ahhh... I see your point now. I guess transitioning from paper to an app like this would make a slider seem more intuitive. Thank you for the insight! I'll definitely try to put together a slider as well. As of right now, I cant even get rid of the verse (number/arrow) menus... haha. Once I figure out how to manipulate the views of menus, I'll put together a slider. It shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Here are the basics of the bible structure...
    Thanks for that frankos! I assumed as much, but I didn't want to base the application and its organization solely on my assumptions. So your screen with the Old Testament and New Testament selector is perfect then. Once in there, you can then pick a book (from the list of buttons). At that point, you are viewing the book and my menu options become active. They will then let you switch books around (within each Testament) and switch verses around (within the book itself). I assume the back swipe will take you back to the Old Testament/New Testament selection screen.

It's starting to come together!

I'm just having a little trouble loading up the DOM element. Apparently, loading a document as DOM doesn't like the way WebOS keeps index.html as your main webpage at all times... >.< yarg...
    Hey frankos (and anyone else),

While I work through the DOM structure (I finally am able to get in), I have to make a few changes within the html file just to make sure it all plays nice.

I'll try not to make too many so you don't have to end up changing your methods so far. I will list them as I go along:

first of all, can you please get rid of any/all header tags in the scene.html files please?

I took out everything you had and just put this in:
    Code:
    <title>Habakkuk</title>
    <div class="palm-header-spacer"></div>
    After that, your labeled divider begins:
    Code:
    	<!-- THIS IS THE LABELED DIVIDER -->
    	<table id="HABch1" class="palm-divider labeled"><tbody>
    		<tr>
    			<td class="left"></td>
    			<td class="label">Chapter 1</td>
    			<td class="right"></td>
    		</tr>
    	</tbody></table>
    	<!-- END OF LABELED DIVIDER -->
    If you keep it that way, my menu's can extract the title information of each book and display it:
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    [Quoted post removed by Moderator]

Completely uncalled for. There was NO REASON to give your opinion of religion in this thread. This is a thread for discussion about a WebOS app. Thanks.
    Religious intolerance is becoming more prevalent these days. Thanks Mod for nipping this in the bid.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    You guys are doing a great job with this app, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out, the collaboration between everyone is awesome... Great job....
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    This is looking great!

My two cents: I think the chapter/verse selector should look something very much like the selector in the alarm clock (as someone else mentioned), like in my attached screen capture.

As well, a scrubber is a great idea and I would find it useful.

I'm going to try jumping in and helping out with these ideas too, but wanted to voice my opinion first
    Hey,

I plan on making the verse selector like the PDFViewer has it. Instead of a scrollable widget, it will take text entry (numbers). Maybe the chapter one as well. We'll see how it goes.

I'm starting to understand why DOM is considered hard to work with. haha. It's so incredibly difficult as it's like reaching into a dark bag, blindfolded, and not knowing what you're reaching in with... if that makes sense... in other words: its HARD. I'm working on it though. I've been able to extract relevant book name information and show that on top... but I'm working on automatically figuring out how many chapters (and/or verses) are in each book so the widget's selector list can be automatically populated.

Man... this is hard work... but sure is fun.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast