Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    When should this be moved over to the Homebrew section? Devs, wanna give me a PM?
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72;
    this whole sword/ e sword thing
    e-Sword and _The Sword Project_ are two very different Bible Study Software Projects. The former is closed source/proprietary. The latter is open source. The former uses a database for its resources. The latter uses a flat file for its resources.

I realize that the names are confusing.

You'll be able to work with _The Sword Projeect_. You won't be able t o work with e-Sword.

For now, I am seeing the end of the road for this one. We are nearly there.
    Without looking at your code, I'd hazard a guess that at least some of what you've currently written can be modified without much difficulty for _The Sword Project_.

jonathon
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblake View Post
    You won't get permission to use content from either Pocket e-Sword, or e-Sword.
    Because you asked? Or because you assume Rick won't help? I've already emailed him.
    Random Thoughts: by CK

If a script can be written to to do all the heavy lifting in converting the source files then great. Forgive me for not being a believer (in scripting, not scripture), but I think we will still have to walk through the code line by line to add/correct the things that an automated script can't handle.

I'm doing Day stuff ATM so I can't comment on the latest IPK file, but what about focussing on just the Gospels and Acts? Maybe include Psalms and Proverbs either now or next? Meaningfull, yet short examples that can be distributed for feedback.

Thanx for posting up my sample file so I could view it on my Pre. I'm gonna go back and modify the code in my OP. Could you then repost it to where ever you're hosting it?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    just loaded up the most recent sample on my device (not the emulator).

I definitly like the Habakkuk look over the new testament look. However we still need a method to pick chapters or verse. The Title "pill" will be good for changing books, but some of this stuff is pretty long.

Ideal World:
    Buttons across the bottom or another banner across the bottom with options for chapter/verse (without text entry), version selection option, and a back button to either go back in history or up a level of hierarchy. This would be the opposite of what the "back" gesture should do as defined by Palm.

I remember reading a thread where someone got a slider to work and generate a value. Could we use this as a navigation tool for either Chapter or verse?

Oh and the text formatting of Habakkuk changes started at 2:8
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Random Thoughts: by CK

If a script can be written to to do all the heavy lifting in converting the source files then great. Forgive me for not being a believer (in scripting, not scripture), but I think we will still have to walk through the code line by line to add/correct the things that an automated script can't handle.
    Yeah, I dont' know either. I figure when we get there we will let the script gurus do the best they can and we will do any necessary work to finish it.

I'm doing Day stuff ATM so I can't comment on the latest IPK file, but what about focussing on just the Gospels and Acts? Maybe include Psalms and Proverbs either now or next? Meaningfull, yet short examples that can be distributed for feedback.
    Yes, I agree. Especially if we have to do he conversions by hand, might as well start with the most commonly read books right?

Thanx for posting up my sample file so I could view it on my Pre. I'm gonna go back and modify the code in my OP. Could you then repost it to where ever you're hosting it?
    Not sure that I did. I took some ideas from yours and implemented them in the habakkuk book. Yours looked totaly different on the pre than in a web browser. The pre did a line break at lots of your divs that were for formatting. Such as <div class="emphasis">. The most important part of your formatting I believe was the <id="CORc2v10">. By using the case tense like you did and puttng it as an id in the div I think we can search through the text to find these points and jump to them. We'll know more on that soon.

I'll dig out this modified code. Then I'll add a button and link to your corn text so we can all see what it looks like on the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    ...I remember reading a thread where someone got a slider to work and generate a value. Could we use this as a navigation tool for either Chapter or verse?...
    How about something like this on the bottom edge:

So if this were Matthew, you would be at about Chapter 20. Because it is graphical, you can see where you are at all times! Slide to anywhere in the chapter or use the arrows to go chapter by chapter, double arrow to jump to the next book (Luke).

◄◄ Previous book
    ◄ Previous chapter
    ► Next chapter
    ►► Next book

There has been a lot of discussion about a slider here.

Also see this thread and specifically posts starting here.

Or take a look at my avatar.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/20/2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi;
    Or because you assume Rick won't help?
    Historically, Rick has not cooperated with other Bible Study Software projects.

jonathon
    Jumping to different elements each with unique DIV tags would be extremely easy if we were to use DOM. I keep planning beginning but constantly get distracted... >.<.

I'm really sorry. I plan on implementing the navigational menu on the bottom and navigation through DOM structure soon. Hopefully I can have a simple working model soon to show you guys and ask for feedback... We'll see.

I remember reading a thread where someone got a slider to work and generate a value. Could we use this as a navigation tool for either Chapter or verse?
    hey! that was me! hahaha. Well, I would plan on a different approach for this. I want to use DOM structure, which basically works as a heirarchy tool. It would divide up the entire scripture into a "tree-like" structure so we can navigate into whatever "branch" we would like. Technically, the branches don't even need unique names, they just need to be organized in a sequence, however, it would definitely help if they had unique names. Either way, I REALLY need to start working on this soon... : /. I'll let you guys know how its going.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    Ok, let me see if I am reading this correctly. The way you have parsed it up, it can display either by verse or paragraph, depending on what your preferences are?
    Yes. Implementing an either/or option on the Preferences page is a feature that probably should wait for now. At this stage, we should choose either one or the other. I, myself, prefer paragraphs but will not object if the project chooses line by line to start.

for example, in the theoretical preferences you could have the options "traditional groupings" or "verse grouping". By doing this and selecting which tag is "active" you can specify where the line breaks are, thus producing the desired result.
    Yes, mostly. Instead of selecting an active tag you apply different rules to the tags:
    With Traditional Grouping, each traditionalGrouping block is its own paragraph (display: block) with some extra space at the bottom (margin-bottom: 15px). Also, each verse is set to "display: inline;"
    With Verse Grouping, the traditionalGrouping element is nullified (display: inline) and the extra space at the bottom removed (margin-bottom: 0px). Then, each verse is set to diaplay as its own paragraph with "display: block;".

I am having to research the CSS and HTML that is above my pay grade, but is that one of the advantages of the <div> tags? That and the connection to CSS which allows sitewide changes to be made without having to alter all the base pages?
    Not only that, but the very same HTML code can be styled different ways. Check out www.csszengarden.com and check out the different designs. EACH of those designs uses the exact same HTML file, but styles it their own way, incorporating their own graphics, of course. So no matter a user's preferences, you only have to code the page once.

I posted the above code into an HTML page at 1 CORINTHIANS -- CHAPTERS 12 - 14 so if anyone wants to see the results they are handy.
  11.    #71  
    just loaded up the most recent sample on my device (not the emulator).

I definitly like the Habakkuk look over the new testament look.

Oh and the text formatting of Habakkuk changes started at 2:8
    This actually confuses me? Do you like habakkuk before or after 2:8? If after is it soley for the size of the text?

However we still need a method to pick chapters or verse. The Title "pill" will be good for changing books, but some of this stuff is pretty long.

Ideal World:
    Buttons across the bottom or another banner across the bottom with options for chapter/verse (without text entry), version selection option, and a back button to either go back in history or up a level of hierarchy. This would be the opposite of what the "back" gesture should do as defined by Palm.
    I believe what you speak of is exactly what we are planning.

I think I'll post up a diagram so folks can see what I'm talking about.

Book Scene Diagram copy.jpg
    wonko, I updated the CSS in the code from page two. If you can, update the page you're hosting. Thanx.
    frankos, what does the back button go to? Does it go back to the previous scene to allow you to select the book? If it does, the top button/pill/menu could be for the chapter.
  14.    #74  
    SirataXero,

I like that DOM hierarchical structural thing you speak of. Would it require every book to be in the same file or can we do it for each Book individually? At this point individually would be better so we can get this going quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    (who was that guy who figured out the slider)

hey! that was me! hahaha..
    It took me a while but I found SirataXero's post

We have in our midst the guy who first did a slider!

(In Chicago that sentence would have a whole different meaning about White Castle hamburgers.)

- Craig
  16.    #76  
    frankos, what does the back button go to? Does it go back to the previous scene to allow you to select the book? If it does, the top button/pill/menu could be for the chapter.
    It was originally suggested for folks who don't get the back gesture, but I think that if you own a pre it's just a matter of time before you get that.

If you are jumping from chapter to chapter it could go back to he previous chapter you were on, but I think this would add a new level of complication we don't need for a "Simple Bible."

I do think SirataXero has offered to make it go back in a hierchal type way. If we can't get it working soon I say we just let it "pop" the scene so we can get this bible published.
  17.    #77  
    I got ya now. You're talking about where Wonko put it on the web. I'll tell you that howit looks on a web page on the WWW is not the same as how that code looks on a pre. I can't do it from here but I'll get it on there tonight so you can see.

I think too that there is more to custom CSS on a pre than just putting it at the top of the page. I've seen more info on it. I think it was near the bottom of the style matters example app.

BTW, I do think that Custom CSS would be a great idea. My backup plan is to use the default palm styles and maybe add a size option to make the fonts bigger if we choose so.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    ... I think too that there is more to custom CSS on a pre than just putting it at the top of the page....
    Oh, absolutely, I was just trying to make a a quick example functional. Proper CSS code, be it Web or webOS, is always placed in its own separate file.
    SirataXero,

I like that DOM hierarchical structural thing you speak of. Would it require every book to be in the same file or can we do it for each Book individually? At this point individually would be better so we can get this going quickly.
    Hey frankos,
    It could work either way. Personally, I would prefer individually. However, as for all the work being done here, they would all have to be formatted the same way. Also, I think it SHOULDN'T (again, in theory, it shouldn't) be hard to pull out the whole list of chapters (using DOM) and display them in the navigational menus. Which could then be selected, and when tapped on, it would display that specific chapter. We could do the same thing for all the verses within a chapter, and that menu option could be on the bottom.

TheMarco actually helped to teach me how to load up DOM objects. After that, going through and parsing them shouldn't be too difficult. Let's see what I can get done.

I really hate this! I get so excited and come up with all these brilliant ideas and don't end up going through with them. I REALLY need to get off my lazy **** and start doing some work. haha. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    We have in our midst the guy who first did a slider!
    - Craig
    hahaha. Please, no more appluase. haha. That was back in the day. It was so much fun. But as I stated before, I don't know about implementing a slider for reading purposes. I will definitely look into implementing navigational controls via menu buttons.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    This actually confuses me? Do you like habakkuk before or after 2:8? If after is it soley for the size of the text?
    Definitly BEFORE
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast