Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    and a script could apply those changes to the ENTIRE SET OF FILES in about 1 minute.
    I'll let you know when we get there. I don't know how to do this script you speak. It would be awesome if you would do that once we get there.

Colonel Kernel,
    Thank you for your input. I'm a bit busy tonight but I'll bring you into the fold with wonko and I tomorrow and we can hammer out the best way to format the page scenes then.

I think the 3 of us will be enough to get the page formatting going. Too many cooks can spoil the soup you know. However, if there are any further suggestions as to how we can make them better, let them out.

Oh, and to the Mods,
    Thanks for the note at the top and the message deletions. It's much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    ...Oh, and to the Mods,
    Thanks for the note at the top and the message deletions. It's much appreciated.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    It seems there are a LOT of people with a LOT of ideas. This can be a double-edged sword. I strongly suggest anyone who has any ideas to go right ahead and implement them. Do your own thing, turn your idea into a functioning product. I think we can all then come together, compare these "finished" products take out parts that we all agree we like, remove parts we don't like, and Frankenstein the entire thing....
    Except that the Bible, Qur'an are such long, complex, and involved projects that to do the ENTIRE thing would take a ridiculous amount of time. The code pasted above could be my entire contribution to the project. Please take it and run with it.

If the project isn't ready to settle upon a format then fine. People can do a little bit, come back here and post it. Others can comment, improve and expand the idea. Then, when the head(s) of this specific project are ready, then go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Also, even if you don't plan to implement a "red letter" version until much later, you'd be wise to add it to the code now. Having to go back in and add it later would be a pain.
    That is what I was thinking too.

- Craig
    Here is the one I currently have bookmarked. Its the best thing I have on my phone right now.

The Bible
    I have tried it and it works great on an iPhone but not so well on a Pre. For instance, the New Testament link does not work on my Pre.

- Craig
    Except that the Bible, Qur'an are such long, complex, and involved projects that to do the ENTIRE thing would take a ridiculous amount of time. The code pasted above could be my entire contribution to the project. Please take it and run with it.

If the project isn't ready to settle upon a format then fine. People can do a little bit, come back here and post it. Others can comment, improve and expand the idea. Then, when the head(s) of this specific project are ready, then go for it.
    Hey, that's exactly what I meant. Your contribution is MORE than helpful. I was hoping someone would make a good useful CSS file. This file can now be incorporated into any of the other works and we can have a sense of collaboration within the entire project.

And yeah, I didn't mean that each person MUST complete one entire thing. haha. Sorry if it came out that way. I meant every person does their own part and we can collaborate on it as a whole.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I have tried it and it works great on an iPhone but not so well on a Pre. For instance, the New Testament link does not work on my Pre.

- Craig
    Scroll down. When I hit the NT link it opens the OT. But if you scroll down the NT books are at the bottom.
    Okay, the code here is a full HTML page. Copy/Save to your desktop and view it.

The beauty of CSS is that you can use the exact same mark up to either style the page like I did or, if you prefer, style it like wonko did. Again, using the exact same mark up.

I coded the page first, with a liberal helping of search/replace to get rid of the <br> tags and convert the <a name="v2"> to <div id="1CORc13v4" class="verse">. And then styled it in minutes. I defaulted all DIVs to display: block to catch any errors and it helped.

I had to specifiy the width twice because IE7 didn't like it attached to the BODY tag. IE7 further messes up the formatting of the italics and verse numbers. This is a great illustration of the beauty of webOS. We can use the languages we already know, but only have to code for one environment ... and that one environment isn't IE!

Feel free to use anything I have in here. I chose descriptive CSS Class names to clearly show what I was styling, which would help others later when studying your code.

[EDIT: FYI, <div id="anchor"> works the same as <a name="anchor>. DIVs are just cleaner.]

Code:
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE> 1 CORINTHIANS -- CHAPTERS 12 - 14</TITLE>

<STYLE type="text/css">

body {
    	background-color:#ffffff;
    	width: 600px;
       }

div {
    	display: block;
       }

.chapter {
    	margin-bottom: 25px;
    	width: 600px;
    	}

.chapterHeader {
    	text-align: center;
    	}

.bookTitle {
    	display: inline;
    	text-transform: uppercase
    	}

.chapterDivider {
    	margin-left: 5px;
    	margin-right: 5px;
    	}

.chapterNumber {
    	text-transform: uppercase
    	}

.traditionalGrouping {
    	margin-bottom: 10px; 
    	}

.verse {
    	}

.verseNumber {
    	font-weight: bolder;
    	margin-left: 0px;
    	margin-right: 5px;
    	}

.singleNumber {
    	display: inherit;
    	margin-right: 7px;
    	}

.emphasis {
    	font-style: italic;
    	}
     </STYLE>

</HEAD>
    <body>

<div class="chapter" id="1CORc12">

<div class="chapterHeader">
    		<div class="bookTitle">1 Corinthians</div>
    		<div class="chapterDivider">--</div>
    		<div class="chapterNumber">Chapter 12</div>
    	</div>

<div class="traditionalGrouping">
    	<div id="1CORc12v1" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">1</div>Now concerning spiritual <div class="emphasis">gifts,</div> brethren, I would not have you ignorant.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v2" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">2</div>Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v3" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">3</div>Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and <div class="emphasis">that</div> no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v4" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">4</div>Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v5" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">5</div>And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v6" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">6</div>And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v7" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">7</div>But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v8" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">8</div>For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v9" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">9</div>To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v10" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">10</div>To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another <div class="emphasis">divers</div> kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v11" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">11</div>But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v12" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">12</div>For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also <div class="emphasis">is</div> Christ.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v13" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">13</div>For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether <div class="emphasis">we be</div> Jews or Gentiles, whether <div class="emphasis">we be</div> bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v14" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">14</div>For the body is not one member, but many.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v15" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">15</div>If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v16" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">16</div>And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v17" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">17</div>If the whole body <div class="emphasis">were</div> an eye, where <div class="emphasis">were</div> the hearing?  If the whole <div class="emphasis">were</div> hearing, where <div class="emphasis">were</div> the smelling?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v18" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">18</div>But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v19" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">19</div> And if they were all one member, where <div class="emphasis">were</div> the body?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v20" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">20</div>But now <div class="emphasis">are they</div> many members, yet but one body.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v21" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">21</div>And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v22" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">22</div>Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v23" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">23</div>And those <div class="emphasis">members</div> of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely <div class="emphasis">parts</div> have more abundant comeliness.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v24" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">24</div>For our comely <div class="emphasis">parts</div> have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that <div class="emphasis">part</div> which lacked:</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v25" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">25</div>That there should be no schism in the body; but <div class="emphasis">that</div> the members should have the same care one for another.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v26" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">26</div>And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v27" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">27</div>Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v28" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">28</div>And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v29" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">29</div><div class="emphasis">Are</div> all apostles?  <div class="emphasis">are</div> all prophets?  <div class="emphasis">are</div> all teachers?  <div class="emphasis">are</div> all workers of miracles?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v30" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">30</div>Have all the gifts of healing?  do all speak with tongues?  do all interpret?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v31" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">31</div>But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.</div>
    	</div>

</div>

<div class="chapter" id="1CORc13">

<div class="chapterNumber">Chapter 13</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc13v1" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">1</div>Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become <div class="emphasis">as</div> sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v2" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">2</div>And though I have <div class="emphasis">the gift of</div> prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v3" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">3</div>And though I bestow all my goods to feed <div class="emphasis">the poor,</div> and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc13v4" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">4</div>Charity suffereth long, <div class="emphasis">and</div> is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v5" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">5</div>Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v6" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">6</div>Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v7" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">7</div>Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc13v8" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">8</div>Charity never faileth: but whether <div class="emphasis">there be</div> prophecies, they shall fail; whether <div class="emphasis">there be</div> tongues, they shall cease; whether <div class="emphasis">there be</div> knowledge, it shall vanish away.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v9" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">9</div>For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v10" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">10</div>But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v11" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">11</div>When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v12" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">12</div>For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc13v13" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">13</div>And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these <div class="emphasis">is</div> charity.</div>
    	</div>

</div>

<div class="chapter" id="1CORc14">

<div class="chapterNumber">Chapter 14</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v1" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">1</div>Follow after charity, and desire spiritual <div class="emphasis">gifts,</div> but rather that ye may prophesy.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v2" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">2</div>For he that speaketh in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth <div class="emphasis">him;</div> howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v3" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">3</div>But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men <div class="emphasis">to</div> edification, and exhortation, and comfort.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v4" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">4</div>He that speaketh in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v5" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">5</div>I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater <div class="emphasis">is</div> he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v6" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">6</div>Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v7" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">7</div>And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v8" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">8</div>For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v9" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">9</div>So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken?  for ye shall speak into the air.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v10" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">10</div>There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them <div class="emphasis">is</div> without signification.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v11" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">11</div>Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh <div class="emphasis">shall be</div> a barbarian unto me.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v12" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">12</div>Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual <div class="emphasis">gifts,</div> seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v13" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">13</div>Wherefore let him that speaketh in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue pray that he may interpret.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v14" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">14</div>For if I pray in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v15" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">15</div>What is it then?  I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the  understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v16" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">16</div>Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v17" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">17</div>For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v18" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">18</div>I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v19" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">19</div>Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that <div class="emphasis">by my voice</div> I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v20" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">20</div>Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v21" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">21</div>In the law it is written, With <div class="emphasis">men of</div> other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v22" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">22</div>Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying <div class="emphasis">serveth</div> not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v23" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">23</div>If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all  speak with tongues, and there come in <div class="emphasis">those that are</div> unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v24" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">24</div>But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or <div class="emphasis">one</div> unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v25" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">25</div>And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on <div class="emphasis">his</div> face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v26" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">26</div>How is it then, brethren?  when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation.  Let all things be done unto edifying.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v27" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">27</div>If any man speak in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue, <div class="emphasis">let it be</div> by two, or at the most <div class="emphasis">by</div> three, and <div class="emphasis">that</div> by course; and let one interpret.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v28" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">28</div>But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v29" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">29</div>Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v30" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">30</div>If <div class="emphasis">any thing</div> be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v31" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">31</div>For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v32" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">32</div>And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v33" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">33</div>For God is not <div class="emphasis">the author</div> of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v34" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">34</div>Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but <div class="emphasis">they are commanded</div> to be under obedience, as also saith the law.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v35" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">35</div>And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v36" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">36</div>What?  came the word of God out from you?  or came it unto you only?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v37" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">37</div>If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v38" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">38</div>But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v39" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">39</div>Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v40" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">40</div>Let all things be done decently and in order.</div>
    	</div>

</div>

</BODY>
    </HTML>
    Ok, let me see if I am reading this correctly. The way you have parsed it up, it can display either by verse or paragraph, depending on what your preferences are?

for example, in the theoretical preferences you could have the options "traditional groupings" or "verse grouping". By doing this and selecting which tag is "active" you can specify where the line breaks are, thus producing the desired result.

I am having to research the CSS and HTML that is above my pay grade, but is that one of the advantages of the <div> tags? That and the connection to CSS which allows sitewide changes to be made without having to alter all the base pages?

I posted the above code into an HTML page at 1 CORINTHIANS -- CHAPTERS 12 - 14 so if anyone wants to see the results they are handy.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Someone posted a link to a web app bible that wasn't working well before. I have had good success with "net bible for iphone" should be a google away. Don't know if that would help you . Or atleast be a stopgap.

Keep up the good work.

If anyone knows a good place for the analects in mobile form please send it my way

Well, then, if you don't mind...

I am not a programmer, but to have a tiny bit of experience in that, and do have some systems management, and DBA experience, so I was just wondering, is there a reason why you have to break up the text into so many files, and have them all html coded? Seems to me that the Bible programs that I like to use all have the text in one file (just take a look at esword.) In the old days of Biblesoft, it was just one large continuous text file with no formatting. It was, however, indexed like a database. The program was just a reader interface that allowed scrolling and searching. Later on, with the miraculous advent of the "user interface" and this obscure program called "Windows," we were even able to change the formatting (fonts, font sizes, etc.)

It would make sense to me that this would allow you to just work on the UI, searching, scrolling, annotations (I would love to see that feature well implemented on a mobile device and not have to spend $60 on it,) and parallel texts (viewing multiple versions at the same time.) Want a red letter edition? No problem, download the red letter text file and there it is. No change to the UI required.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth. You seem to be working on this at a breakneck pace, so it may be too late in the process for you, but just thought I would put it out there.

Thanks again for doing this. I will thank God for you tonight, and pray that he will bless your efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth. You seem to be working on this at a breakneck pace, so it may be too late in the process for you, but just thought I would put it out there.

Thanks again for doing this. I will thank God for you tonight, and pray that he will bless your efforts.
    Actually I think what is happening right now is we are taking a step back and looking at what the options are. If you look at the previous thread, you can see we have gone down several roads, and frankos72 along with the help of several others have put together some basics, but there are still a lot of questions.

I was originally leaning towards having each chapter be a separate file. I am seeing some value in having a whole book (i.e. Matthew) as a file, on the basis the Pre is quite capable. One advantage of breaking it up, in my opinion is that when resources are scarce as in a cell phone, the bigger the operating file, the slower it will go. By breaking it up it should respond more quickly because there is more available memory.

Perhaps this is not an issue with a typical novel, but I have to believe that loading the entire bible at one time can't help but slow things down.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    I'll let you know when we get there. I don't know how to do this script you speak. It would be awesome if you would do that once we get there.
    ya dude, i agree about the script- this whole 'everyone work on a different book' thing boggles my mind! something in perl could knock this out like crazy... [Removed by Moderator], but send me a sample of what a source page looks like, and how you want it to look, and i'll knock you out a script that can chew through these...

but the way i would actually design an app like this is to put the contents in a db. leverage the search capability.
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/20/2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: removed theological discussion
  13.    #53  
    PoundSand and AmatuerHack,

You are both correct about the DB thing. Wonko started this quest with the idea of taking a simple .html bible that was already available and porting it to the Pre is as easy/quick a fashion as possible. We have had many discussions about which way to go with the whole thing. Right now we are just trying to get the Bible on the Pre ASAP. So the current program at works here is a Simple Bible in KJV.

I envision a much loftier goal for the 2nd Bible app that will offer all the rich features you have come to expect from a paid bible app. Highlighting, Bookmarking, Crossrefrences, Mulitple translastions etc. Rest Assured that once this "SimpleBible" is done, I plan to change my direction to a full featured bible. I can't speak for others involved but I think many plan to work that project too. We have kicked around the idea of it being not just a bible but rather a "religious text" reader that offers plug-in's for various texts and translations. The most common one that has been requested besides the bible is the Qur'an. Rest assured that when we get there, we will need all the DB help anyone is willing to offer.

So that being said. I can think of one thing that most of us can't currently do that will get the ball rolling. Someone to write the script to "chew through" the original html and spit it out formatted like we need for the Pre. That would be AWESOME. It does seem to me that we already have a couple volunteers to make this happen. I think we will have the proper format hashed out in a few more days so guys get ready it's about your turn to take the wheel.
  14.    #54  
    Wonko, I've made some changes to this Habakkuk file. I didn't reformat it all the way through yet because I want your opinion. I took advantage of the Pre's built in CSS properties to make the formatting look better and more pre native. Also, I took some ideas from Colonel Kernel. Primarily in using all divs and putting in an "id" tag on each Chapter Head and Verse to make skipping around easier. I'm pretty sure that the pre widgets and mojo environment will like the "id" tags better than the <A> command.

That said, let me know what you think as far as looks. You'll have to look at it in your Pre or the emulator to get the full effect. I'll upload the .ipk I'm using for testing purposes too as that may be the easiest way to view it.

As you will see I changed the top of the page to have a "pill" type header. This will allow for the drop down menu to select books that we have mentioned earlier.

Also, I started looking into the menu command buttons for the bottom but I don't know what to do there.

hab.zip
    com.pigstands.simplebible_1.0.0_all.ipk

Oh also, it seems that mojo doesn't like the . in ot.hab We can stick with the naming style but it needs to change to ot-hab. I haven't tested the latter but I have seen some files in the palm examples that use a - so it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72;
    If after reading that you still have a new question or comment or would like to help with the current project
    My suggestion would be to work with _The Sword Project_. URL is www.crosswire.org. The developer list can be subscribed to: sword-devel-subscribe at crosswire.org. The developer wiki can be found at www.crosswire.org virgule wiki virgule Main underscore Page. (Replace punctuation words with the punctuation, and delete white space.)

_The Sword Project_ uses the GNU GPL 2.0 license.

jonathon
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/22/2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: set up links
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi;
    That said, if we could use the resource files from Pocket e-sword, we would have a plethora of content at our fingertips very quickly.
    You won't get permission to use content from either Pocket e-Sword, or e-Sword.

If you use _The Sword Project API_, this project (Pre's First Bible App) will have access to all of the resources that they offer.
    [I don't have current numbers, but there are more "officially released" resources for _The Sword Project_, than they are for e-Sword. More than half of the currently distributed user created resources for e-Sword, are being distributed in violation of copyright.]
  17.    #57  
    jblake thanks for the tips. this whole sword/ e sword thing will be important when we jump into the next bible. For now, I am seeing the end of the road for this one. We are nearly there. Just two more widgets then run a srcript to import the bible into the scenes and it's done.!!!

YAY. More info in my next post.
  18.    #58  
    Looks like all the wise ppl are asleep at this hour. But crazy me hasn't been to bed yet. However, I have many fruits to show for it.

simplebible.zip

com.pigstands.simplebible_1.5.0_all.ipk

***EDIT*** Please refer back to the Original Post as the TO DOs have changed

The Pre's First Bible is nearly done! Boy, I need some rest. Good day gentlemen.
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/20/2009 at 05:35 AM.
    You all had a great day yesterday!

As to structure, the Treo Laridian MyBible has 1 program file, MyBible.PRC, and 8 datafiles named KJVm1.pdb to KJVm8.pdb.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post

- Craig
    Scroll down. When I hit the NT link it opens the OT. But if you scroll down the NT books are at the bottom.
    Thanks that helps get around the navigation problems. The other big problem is that they are using a small Times font that is almost unreadable for me. Times is such a bad font for a small screen. To zoom in enough that you can read it, you end up like you are looking through a periscope and are constantly panning right then down then back left.

I hope that you will use Arial or some other font optimized for a small screen and a base font as large as the Laridian example. Arial is good because it is much more compact than say Verdana but almost as readable.

Take care and again great collaboration. I love the fact that you want this to be available to others for other books. And if someone can figure out a good Perl script to <Div> it up, then doing another book is so much easier.

- Craig
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast