Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreed View Post
    A friend and I started working on one that uses BibleGateway.com as the Html. I am the thinker, he is the programmer. I used the Centro at church with Laridian on it and loved it. It was great and miss it much.
    This is one good way of doing things. There are several translations that are copyrighted. Many of the copyrights allow for quotations up to x number of verses which allows an online bible to have the whole bible av liable but to never quote more than one book/chapter at a time to avoid copyright violations. The problem with this method is it requires the bible app to have internet access.

I'm afraid that since we intend to distribute the whole text with the application we will be limited in the translations available until I can gain approval from said original copyright filers.
  2.    #22  
    In response to many other comments/questions here. I'm going to refer you to the original 5 pages of discussion as they cover pretty much all the questions and comments we are receiving here.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...chive-app.html

If after reading that you still have a new question or comment or would like to help with the current project (converting the KJV.html files to work on the pre), please chime in.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    mdmogren, which web based mobile Bible website have you found that does work well on the Pre? I can't find the site you are talking about.

- Craig
    Here is the one I currently have bookmarked. Its the best thing I have on my phone right now.

The Bible
    My wife is a minister and used laridian's Bible on her Centro. She has something like 9 versions of the Bible for comparing the wording for sermons and teachings. I hope Laridian offers it for the Pre. Perhaps if many of us write them, they would consider it.

Having a native app is far better than trying to get it from the clouds. Many churches have structures that make it hard to get a signal.

As for the discussion of why one needs the options....everyone has things they enjoy....they should have choices available and not be judged.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'm In! Just let me know what I can do to help.

I too had myBible and loved it. I'm sure we can come up with something just as efficient.
    Last edited by Kaerey; 07/19/2009 at 07:04 PM.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Ok, here is a VERY rough first edit of HABAKKUK. I chose that book because it was small.

I left the anchor tags in the code on the basis that I thought that we may need them at some time. The would need to be reformatted with the chapter number too, but it certainly simplifies things having what is there there. At this moment in time they are non-functional, and thus do not need to be included.

I tried to keep the code to the absolute minimum. All the framework stuff will need to be added so it works with the java.

Here is my issue now that I am looking at it. Some of these books are just plain BIG! The sheer number of chapters, not to mention the size of the chapters in combination will be huge when combined as one file, and almost un-navigable.

If this is going to work without having a separate file for each chapter there will need to be a header that allows you to jump to any chapter/verse at the top that is always available. Without it you will wear a groove in your screen from all the scrolling. All they have to be are simple number selectors, and they don't even have to update as you manually scroll down (though that would be amazingly cool). In the end that piece of navigation will be the key to this working well.

This was another reason for not stripping the "name" tags. They will most likely be key to making it work.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Here is the HHABAKKUK book updated with the proper code. (as far as I can tell )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    As the coding is going to change the formatting fairly dramatically, I would recommend we put a hold on entering actual content until we have formalized the page coding. Otherwise we will end up redoing things over and over, and that is never fun.
    wonko: sorry i don't have a lot of insight into the power (or lack thereof) of the webView widget yet, as i am still working on the initial page, and how we can move within and between books, chapters, verses. keeping it this way may be a good compromise of page size vs # of pages.

i do see one problem with your anchor tags, though. there are duplicates of the home tag, it is at the beginning of every chapter. if we actually leverage the tags then they will need to be unique, c1, c2, c3, etc.

Also the verse tags will need to be unique, c1v1, c1v2, c1v3, etc.

hopefully i can get past the first page tonight, but i can't stay up too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    As the coding is going to change the formatting fairly dramatically, I would recommend we put a hold on entering actual content until we have formalized the page coding. Otherwise we will end up redoing things over and over, and that is never fun.
    i couldn't agree more.
    I didn't want to take the time to edit thse until we even knew if we are going to use them. I agree they will need to be made unique. I would imagine even the format would be in question.
    DIVs. Use all DIVs. DIV the he ... ck out of it. Then the styling can all be done later via CSS.

I'll work on a brief example and post it within the thread in a short while.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    There are like 9999999999999999999999 mobile bible websites, why not use your talent to develop something we don't already have? Just because iPhone uses Apps for EVERYTHING doesn't mean it's a good idea. Do you still use a "conversion app" to convert ounces to kilograms on your PC? We have the web, this is WebOS after all... let's use it!
    and what do you do when you're on an airplane? and what do you do when you're in Enterprise Kansas, or the Maine woods? or in a basement office?

The cloud is not the answer for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    This is one good way of doing things. There are several translations that are copyrighted. Many of the copyrights allow for quotations up to x number of verses which allows an online bible to have the whole bible av liable but to never quote more than one book/chapter at a time to avoid copyright violations. The problem with this method is it requires the bible app to have internet access.

I'm afraid that since we intend to distribute the whole text with the application we will be limited in the translations available until I can gain approval from said original copyright filers.
    In terms of copyright, use KJV to start, of couse, since it's public domain. The NET bible will be a good second choice as they are very cooperative with these ventures.

I will be keeping track of your progress. This will be very interesting. Hope you don't mind of I make some suggestions as you go.

Thanks for doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    As for the discussion of why one needs the options....everyone has things they enjoy....they should have choices available and not be judged.
    Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged, MATTHEW 7:1-5: (and 'Life of Brian' too of course).
    It seems there are a LOT of people with a LOT of ideas. This can be a double-edged sword. I strongly suggest anyone who has any ideas to go right ahead and implement them. Do your own thing, turn your idea into a functioning product. I think we can all then come together, compare these "finished" products take out parts that we all agree we like, remove parts we don't like, and Frankenstein the entire thing. As in, take good parts, throw them all together. Granted, not EVERYONE is going to LOVE the thing we put together, but at least if we can get some voting in and get a general consensus, we can make something that most of us will really like and will function well.

Once that is done, we can move forward by applying the same principles (coding ideas) to any/all religious literature we may want to include in the software suite. This could go a LONG way and may be a VERY wonderful and powerful collection of literature if we can all put our heads together.

I also suggest that we all work on different books. Translations, Versions, whatever, just try to do something someone else isn't doing. I would hate to see your work go completely to waste because someone else who was working on the same book came up with a better/more organized (generally preferred) idea.

Let's try to keep tabs on who's doing what book or version/translation (maybe in the OP?) and we can post up our current ideas and get a general consensus on whether an idea should be implemented or not.

I hope this makes sense... and we don't have to follow any of these suggestions, but I'm just trying to make sure this project stays organized and moving forward. I have come up with a few ideas only to see people here who are faster and more comfortable go ahead and start implementing them. I thank my lazy stars I didn't start on the idea yet because it would mean one of us (most probably me) would have wasted their time. haha.

Therefore, if we can try to stay organized, it would REALLY help us all out in the end.

Good Luck to everyone involved!

to start things off, I'm going to be working on the Quran. I have found a free downloadable english text version of it here. I'll include a lot of the organizational ideas already implemented in the current bible app and maybe try to throw a few more in to see if you guys like them. If you do, we can work on getting them into all the literature we work on.
    Okay, the code here is a full HTML page. Copy/Save to your desktop and view it.

The beauty of CSS is that you can use the exact same mark up to either style the page like I did or, if you prefer, style it like wonko did. Again, using the exact same mark up.

I coded the page first, with a liberal helping of search/replace to get rid of the <br> tags and convert the <a name="v2"> to <div id="1CORc13v4" class="verse">. And then styled it in minutes. I defaulted all DIVs to display: block to catch any errors and it helped.

I had to specifiy the width twice because IE7 didn't like it attached to the BODY tag. IE7 further messes up the formatting of the italics and verse numbers. This is a great illustration of the beauty of webOS. We can use the languages we already know, but only have to code for one environment ... and that one environment isn't IE!

Feel free to use anything I have in here. I chose descriptive CSS Class names to clearly show what I was styling, which would help others later when studying your code.

[EDIT: FYI, <div id="anchor"> works the same as <a name="anchor>. DIVs are just cleaner.]

Code:
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE> 1 CORINTHIANS -- CHAPTERS 12 - 14</TITLE>

<STYLE type="text/css">

body {
    	background-color:#ffffff;
    	margin: 0px;
    	padding: 0px;
       }

div {
    	display: block;
       }

.chapter {
    	margin-bottom: 25px;
    	width: 310px;
    	margin-left: 5px;
    	margin-right: 5px;
    	font-size: 12pt ;
    	}

.chapterHeader {
    	text-align: center;
    	margin-bottom: 5px;
    	}

.bookTitle {
    	display: inline;
    	text-transform: uppercase
    	}

.chapterDivider {
    	margin-left: 3px;
    	margin-right: 3px;
    	}

.chapterNumber {
    	text-transform: uppercase
    	}

.traditionalGrouping {
    	margin-bottom: 15px; 
    	}

.verse {
    	}

.verseNumber {
    	font-weight: bolder;
    	margin-left: 0px;
    	margin-right: 5px;
    	}

.singleNumber {
    	display: inherit;
    	margin-right: 7px;
    	}

.emphasis {
    	font-style: italic;
    	}
     </STYLE>

</HEAD>
    <body>

<div class="chapter" id="1CORc12">

<div class="chapterHeader">
    		<div class="bookTitle">1 Corinthians</div>
    		<div class="chapterDivider">--</div>
    		<div class="chapterNumber">Chapter 12</div>
    	</div>

<div class="traditionalGrouping">
    	<div id="1CORc12v1" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">1</div>Now concerning spiritual <div class="emphasis">gifts,</div> brethren, I would not have you ignorant.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v2" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">2</div>Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v3" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">3</div>Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and <div class="emphasis">that</div> no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v4" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">4</div>Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v5" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">5</div>And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v6" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">6</div>And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v7" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">7</div>But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v8" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">8</div>For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v9" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">9</div>To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v10" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">10</div>To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another <div class="emphasis">divers</div> kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v11" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">11</div>But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v12" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">12</div>For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also <div class="emphasis">is</div> Christ.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v13" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">13</div>For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether <div class="emphasis">we be</div> Jews or Gentiles, whether <div class="emphasis">we be</div> bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v14" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">14</div>For the body is not one member, but many.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v15" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">15</div>If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v16" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">16</div>And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v17" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">17</div>If the whole body <div class="emphasis">were</div> an eye, where <div class="emphasis">were</div> the hearing?  If the whole <div class="emphasis">were</div> hearing, where <div class="emphasis">were</div> the smelling?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v18" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">18</div>But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v19" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">19</div> And if they were all one member, where <div class="emphasis">were</div> the body?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v20" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">20</div>But now <div class="emphasis">are they</div> many members, yet but one body.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v21" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">21</div>And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v22" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">22</div>Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v23" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">23</div>And those <div class="emphasis">members</div> of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely <div class="emphasis">parts</div> have more abundant comeliness.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v24" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">24</div>For our comely <div class="emphasis">parts</div> have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that <div class="emphasis">part</div> which lacked:</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v25" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">25</div>That there should be no schism in the body; but <div class="emphasis">that</div> the members should have the same care one for another.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v26" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">26</div>And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc12v27" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">27</div>Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v28" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">28</div>And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v29" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">29</div><div class="emphasis">Are</div> all apostles?  <div class="emphasis">are</div> all prophets?  <div class="emphasis">are</div> all teachers?  <div class="emphasis">are</div> all workers of miracles?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v30" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">30</div>Have all the gifts of healing?  do all speak with tongues?  do all interpret?</div>
    	<div id="1CORc12v31" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">31</div>But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.</div>
    	</div>

</div>

<div class="chapter" id="1CORc13">

<div class="chapterNumber">Chapter 13</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc13v1" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">1</div>Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become <div class="emphasis">as</div> sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v2" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">2</div>And though I have <div class="emphasis">the gift of</div> prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v3" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">3</div>And though I bestow all my goods to feed <div class="emphasis">the poor,</div> and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc13v4" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">4</div>Charity suffereth long, <div class="emphasis">and</div> is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v5" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">5</div>Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v6" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">6</div>Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v7" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">7</div>Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc13v8" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">8</div>Charity never faileth: but whether <div class="emphasis">there be</div> prophecies, they shall fail; whether <div class="emphasis">there be</div> tongues, they shall cease; whether <div class="emphasis">there be</div> knowledge, it shall vanish away.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v9" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">9</div>For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v10" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">10</div>But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v11" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">11</div>When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc13v12" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">12</div>For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc13v13" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">13</div>And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these <div class="emphasis">is</div> charity.</div>
    	</div>

</div>

<div class="chapter" id="1CORc14">

<div class="chapterNumber">Chapter 14</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v1" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">1</div>Follow after charity, and desire spiritual <div class="emphasis">gifts,</div> but rather that ye may prophesy.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v2" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">2</div>For he that speaketh in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth <div class="emphasis">him;</div> howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v3" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">3</div>But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men <div class="emphasis">to</div> edification, and exhortation, and comfort.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v4" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">4</div>He that speaketh in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v5" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">5</div>I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater <div class="emphasis">is</div> he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v6" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">6</div>Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v7" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">7</div>And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v8" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">8</div>For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v9" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber singleNumber">9</div>So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken?  for ye shall speak into the air.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v10" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">10</div>There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them <div class="emphasis">is</div> without signification.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v11" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">11</div>Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh <div class="emphasis">shall be</div> a barbarian unto me.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v12" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">12</div>Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual <div class="emphasis">gifts,</div> seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v13" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">13</div>Wherefore let him that speaketh in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue pray that he may interpret.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v14" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">14</div>For if I pray in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v15" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">15</div>What is it then?  I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the  understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v16" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">16</div>Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v17" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">17</div>For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v18" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">18</div>I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v19" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">19</div>Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that <div class="emphasis">by my voice</div> I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v20" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">20</div>Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v21" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">21</div>In the law it is written, With <div class="emphasis">men of</div> other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v22" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">22</div>Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying <div class="emphasis">serveth</div> not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v23" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">23</div>If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all  speak with tongues, and there come in <div class="emphasis">those that are</div> unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v24" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">24</div>But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or <div class="emphasis">one</div> unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v25" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">25</div>And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on <div class="emphasis">his</div> face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v26" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">26</div>How is it then, brethren?  when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation.  Let all things be done unto edifying.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v27" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">27</div>If any man speak in an <div class="emphasis">unknown</div> tongue, <div class="emphasis">let it be</div> by two, or at the most <div class="emphasis">by</div> three, and <div class="emphasis">that</div> by course; and let one interpret.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v28" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">28</div>But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v29" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">29</div>Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v30" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">30</div>If <div class="emphasis">any thing</div> be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v31" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">31</div>For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v32" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">32</div>And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v33" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">33</div>For God is not <div class="emphasis">the author</div> of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v34" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">34</div>Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but <div class="emphasis">they are commanded</div> to be under obedience, as also saith the law.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v35" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">35</div>And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v36" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">36</div>What?  came the word of God out from you?  or came it unto you only?</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v37" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">37</div>If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v38" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">38</div>But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.</div>
    	</div>

<div id="1CORc14v39" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">39</div>Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.</div>
    		<div id="1CORc14v40" class="verse"><div class="verseNumber">40</div>Let all things be done decently and in order.</div>
    	</div>

</div>

</BODY>
    </HTML>
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 07/20/2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Edited CSS
    and a script could apply those changes to the ENTIRE SET OF FILES in about 1 minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    It seems there are a LOT of people with a LOT of ideas. This can be a double-edged sword. I strongly suggest anyone who has any ideas to go right ahead and implement them. Do your own thing, turn your idea into a functioning product. I think we can all then come together, compare these "finished" products take out parts that we all agree we like, remove parts we don't like, and Frankenstein the entire thing. As in, take good parts, throw them all together. Granted, not EVERYONE is going to LOVE the thing we put together, but at least if we can get some voting in and get a general consensus, we can make something that most of us will really like and will function well.

Once that is done, we can move forward by applying the same principles (coding ideas) to any/all religious literature we may want to include in the software suite. This could go a LONG way and may be a VERY wonderful and powerful collection of literature if we can all put our heads together.

I also suggest that we all work on different books. Translations, Versions, whatever, just try to do something someone else isn't doing. I would hate to see your work go completely to waste because someone else who was working on the same book came up with a better/more organized (generally preferred) idea.

Let's try to keep tabs on who's doing what book or version/translation (maybe in the OP?) and we can post up our current ideas and get a general consensus on whether an idea should be implemented or not.

I hope this makes sense... and we don't have to follow any of these suggestions, but I'm just trying to make sure this project stays organized and moving forward. I have come up with a few ideas only to see people here who are faster and more comfortable go ahead and start implementing them. I thank my lazy stars I didn't start on the idea yet because it would mean one of us (most probably me) would have wasted their time. haha.

Therefore, if we can try to stay organized, it would REALLY help us all out in the end.

Good Luck to everyone involved!

to start things off, I'm going to be working on the Quran. I have found a free downloadable english text version of it here. I'll include a lot of the organizational ideas already implemented in the current bible app and maybe try to throw a few more in to see if you guys like them. If you do, we can work on getting them into all the literature we work on.
    OK. I'll just follow along then. Have fun.
    Also, even if you don't plan to implement a "red letter" version until much later, you'd be wise to add it to the code now. Having to go back in and add it later would be a pain.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast