Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
    so much for going to bed early. blea. but i am going to bed after this exciting news...

i loaded up old and new testaments! so here is a simple bible that can almost possibly be put into the homebrew catalog. minus any features, the thing works. enjoy and good night.

awwww poo!

the files are 1.5 mb, too bug for a forum post. off to host them on my server...

== Edit ==

Links here!

link to ipk:com.stickywhipit.newsimplebible_0.6.0_all.ipk

link to source:newsimplebible_0.6.0.zip

link to pre-friendly download page:pre-friendly
    Last edited by stickywhipit; 07/30/2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added links!
  2.    #342  
    Looking great sticky! If you or CK, could just figure out how to get the verse #'s to read 5:15 instead of 15, we'd be down to controls.

Your shortcut you've been taking makes for one heck of a 1st scene... I appreciate you taking that route for now so we can get this on the phone and then start talking DB.
  3.    #343  
    OSIS is open and would be easy to utilize. However we would then be stuck trying to get the rights to versions like NASB, NIV, NLT. This would be a terrible thing cause from what I've read, without charging for our app it's unlikely we could afford the costs associated with obtaining copyright permission. So, if e-sword will take this project on as another reader for their texts we would have access to all those versions. Granted each user would have to buy them and install them for them to work but at least the option would be there.
    links are up in post 341. downloads and installs to my pre just fine, and it's quicker than an palm update! w00t! g'nite!
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Looking great sticky! If you or CK, could just figure out how to get the verse #'s to read 5:15 instead of 15, we'd be down to controls.
    i think the only way is to wait for when we go db. we then can query the db for the chap and verse and concatenate and build the list dynamically instead of relying on the ordered list tag for the numbering. i have more tinkering to do, but i think we may go back to div tags once the db becomes real.

for now, everyone gets the full text and i can start working on the scroll or even just a drop-down that positions you on the different chapters, then bookmarks.
    Hey thanks for the app I had installed Bible With you in the Classic but I really don't like the Classic interface now. I hate I spent that money now. My Pastor is really into the latest technology, I keep bragging about the Pre vs his Blackberry, I can show my Pastor the bible app on the Pre now. Give me a reason to have it out during church!! Thanks again.

Is there any easy way to switch between chapters? Is there a way to get back to the New and Old Testament screen?
  7.    #347  
    Sticky, here is one Navigation example I worked on tonight. This would work except it doesn't have any way of "knowing where you are" at any given time. Still better than no way to jump through the book at all right?

The chapters are hard coded cause I don't know how to do variables. I tried like mad to get a variable working for the verses, but it was a no go. One would need a universal variable that was available to all functions in the program for it to work right. I think?

navexcap.JPG

And the source: navexcommand.zip

I'll send all the scroller stuff I have soon as I clean it up.
  8.    #348  
    Here is a slider example as far as I could get. The only thing lacking here is I can't figure out how to call an element in any scroller except the scene scroller. ??

Figure that out and this is a piece of cake!

All the fat is trimmed from these examples to make the code as easy as possible to understand.

navex2.zip
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Hey thanks for the app I had installed Bible With you in the Classic but I really don't like the Classic interface now. I hate I spent that money now. My Pastor is really into the latest technology, I keep bragging about the Pre vs his Blackberry, I can show my Pastor the bible app on the Pre now. Give me a reason to have it out during church!! Thanks again.

Is there any easy way to switch between chapters? Is there a way to get back to the New and Old Testament screen?
    we are working on enhancements to scroll between chapters easier, make the app faster and more memory efficient, search, bookmark, and add more features down the road.

to go back to the testaments page from the book page, just use the back gesture, swipe left from the center button in the gesture area.
    Regarding translations, could a PalmOS pdb file of another translation I've purchased be converted into a text file that could be viewed by this new program that you fine people have developed?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Regarding translations, could a PalmOS pdb file of another translation I've purchased be converted into a text file that could be viewed by this new program that you fine people have developed?
    Currently no. First of all there are different flavors of PDB Files, 2nd most you can not convert out of. 3rd it would just be easier to find a "new" source to use.
    Good work!

You are ready to post this to Homebrew!

I would say to start a new thread with just the info needed for a Homebrew app opening post.

The only ipk would be the completed Bible.

Include the text of the moderator note at the top and needed instructions, list your to-do items, etc. Post the new thread in the webOS Development forum, report the thread and ask for it to be moved to Homebrew.

Go team!

- Craig
    Thanks so much for your work on this guys! I just installed the latest full version posted and as simple as it is, it works! We finally have a full Bible on the Pre that isn't web based! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    this is great. Thanks so much for this!
    I've dug through the code. Great job, stickywhipit. Only one thing needs to be fixed before we should launch and it's simple. Then there are some things that should be changed as soon as possible.

stickywhipit, add this DIV tag to the Book scene. This will format the pages and characters so we have page margins and get style the text Palm's way.

Code:
    <div class="palm-body-text">

<div id="bookdata"></div>

</div>
    Again, that is all that NEEDS to change now before we can launch. Well, that and removing the .palm-body-title and .palm-body-text declarations from the CSS because that is now handled with the above DIV tag.

And now for what SHOULD change ASAP. Changing them before we launch would be better, but I'm not the one that will be doing the work so I can't rightfully say.

You never actually declare this to be an Ordered List. You start with the <li> and never specifiy that it's an <ol>. That little ommision takes away the option of verse-by-verse styling -- which, again, requires just two changes to the CSS code -- because the numbering system breaks, counting verses across all the chapters without resetting. Again, insert the <ol> at the begining of each chapter before the <li> and that's fixed.

Second, don't you believe in closing your TABLE tags, man? Aside from it being good coding practice, some browsers I've known reject whole pages for that reason alone. You should *I think* be able to fix it easily. When you your SQL querry detects a new chapter, start off with, </ol></td></tr></table><table id="ge_c2_v1" ....

And now for why I think what SHOULD change should change before we release it. Without having a way to detect the Traditional Groupings, I think it would be easier to read if we instead go verse-by-verse. The only way I can think of figuring out where the traditional groupings are is to pick up a bible and go page by page and, yeah ... no way. If this can be done via script some how, that'd be great, but I can't answer that question.

So, to summarize: we have one change to make now, before we release it. And then change the other things ASAP.
  16.    #356  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    And now for why I think what SHOULD change should change before we release it. Without having a way to detect the Traditional Groupings, I think it would be easier to read if we instead go verse-by-verse. The only way I can think of figuring out where the traditional groupings are is to pick up a bible and go page by page and, yeah ... no way. If this can be done via script some how, that'd be great, but I can't answer that question.

So, to summarize: we have one change to make now, before we release it. And then change the other things ASAP.
    By traditional groupings do you mean paragraphs? At least they look like paragraphs to me in the couple bibles I own. (neither of which are KJV btw)

As far as release it. People have been installing this since it was one or two books. I think it is released. It will just keep getting better.

I'd like to see some sort of navigation through the book faster than flicking with my finger. Have you tried reading Psalms 123 in this bible, yeah I didn't think so. Anyway, once it's easier to skip through the book, in however rudimentary a form we can find, IMO the focus should go to getting it in a DB instead of all in the first-assistant.jsjsjs $file$. $This$ $will$ $greatly$ $improve$ $performance$.

That's my 2 cents for today.
    Great work guys!!! I just loaded it with file coaster and everything loaded fine. It did open faster than I thought it would.

A chapter and verse selector will be great when you all figure that out... But all in all, a very fine peice of work. You all should be proud of the work you have accomplished..
    Traditional Groupings = Paragraphs. Yeah, that's an easier way of putting it. My KJV bible ended up in storage after I got a Bible on my Treo, so I can't veryfiy if that's in paragraph form.

And until it has its own Homebrew thread I don't think it can be considered released. And this thread is too long and involved to just end up in the Homebrew section brand new.

And yes I did try to flick to the very end of Psalms. I didn't make it. I accidentally swiped up to go into card view and swiped up again, closing the app before I could catch myself. After that it was too much effort to try again.

I have the modified IPK, but no where to host it. stickywhipit, can I email it to you or can you repackage it with the changes?
  19.    #359  
    Lol funny you actually tried to get through Psalms.
    Too all those that helped in this project:....GREAT JOB....you all will be blessed for your talents..

One question, while in the screen that shows the versus, how do i get back to the list of books. I have to totally exit out the app to get there currectly.

Thanks and be blessed!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!