Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
  1.    #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post

I think you guys would be making a mistake if you do not use a simple List structure, styled with CSS.

Here's your sample from above:
    <div id="1"><div id="ROMc1v1"><b>1:1</b> Verse Text here. </b></div></div>

And here it is using the Ordered List:
    <li id="ROMc1v1">Verse Text here.</li>

It is literally less than twice the length and, therefore, should load twice as fast. The Ordered List generates and styles the numbers for us. Then the ID, which is not just for DIVs, allows us to jump to any verse in any chapter in any book that we want.
    Yes, no offense CK, but you have to admit that it's kinda ugly compared to the version with all the divs in it. Right?

So, how do we make it pretty? I'm not sure at what point in the processing all the <li> tags are converted to numbers but a person would have to figure out how to modify this step to make it render in a format that looks nice and pre like. This conversion process BTW, may very likely slow down the load time to make it a pointless effort in which we might be better off going with the <div>s in the first place.

Last point, once we switch to a DB, NONE of this will be relevant cause it will all be in a structured db format. So for now, and for the purposes of getting the bible on the pre fast, I feel confident that using the Div Version is the way to go.

Perhaps if we can get Psalms or Acts coverted over to a <div> version soon (r u reading this rposa?) then we can see what the load time is like since I'm pretty sure it's the longest book in the bible.
  2.    #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I can generate anything per verse in that line like that. What I can't do is the stuff that goes between chapters, or the setup stuff at the start and end stuff at the bottom of a book.
    Surely there is a way?

But the Quick production of the lines for each verse is quick and easy. Tell me what to generate and I can do it. Did you look at my sample up above?
    I did. It looks nice. Oh, boy, I don't want to upset anyone so please bear with me here.. I have to ask, is this a Standard KJV or LDS? Because while I understand your desire to produce a LDS Bible, I believe most people here are working to produce a standard KJV bible.

That said, at the same time, while I am Chrisian, I have no problem with you taking the finished work here and inserting the LDS version of the bible for publication so long as you acknowledge the source of the reader and package it clearly as The Book of Mormon or LDS Bible.

Thanks for understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Yes, no offense CK, but you have to admit that it's kinda ugly compared to the version with all the divs in it. Right? ....
    No. I don't.

If you're referring to the verses, inline vs. line-by-line, it can be styled either way so "ugly" is irrelavant. My last HTML example took the same code and styled it in two different ways. CSS can do practically anything. CSS is as powerful as it is smart.

If, instead you're refferring to the code itself, which is shorter and simpler, making it easier to read, then ... I'm stumped. The ID in the LI tag allows anyone studying or working with the code to know what book/chapter/verse their looking at. And after the verse is the closing LI tag.

Tell me what you find ugly so it can be fixed.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I did. It looks nice. Oh, boy, I don't want to upset anyone so please bear with me here.. I have to ask, is this a Standard KJV or LDS? Because while I understand your desire to produce a LDS Bible, I believe most people here are working to produce a standard KJV bible.
    YES it is the KJV. And for the record, we 100% use the KJV of the Bible. I wouldn't think of using any other bible. No changes, No modifications. And Yes I fully understand.

As to additional scriptures, that is on hold while I work to help the team with the KJV Bible.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

Perhaps if we can get Psalms or Acts coverted over to a <div> version soon (r u reading this rposa?) then we can see what the load time is like since I'm pretty sure it's the longest book in the bible.
    Here is the KJV Psalms And yes it is the longest book in the bible. It has all of the verses with div id's but no fancy between chapter stuff. (150 chapters) And the longest single chapter (176 verses)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    thanks sirwill and fyi here is some sql to add the chapter stuff at every occurrence of verse=1

i am building and example right now.
    select concat(case when verse=1 then concat("<table id=\\\"", lower(book) , "ch", cap, "\\\" class=\"palm-divider labeled\"><tr><td class=\"left\"></td><td class=\"label\">Chapter ",cap,"</td><td class=\"right\"></td></tr></table>") else "" end, "<li id=\\\"", lower(book) , "c", cap , "v" , verse ,"\\\">", line, "</li>") from bible where book = 'psa';
    i see the only disadvantage to using the list item syntax is that each <li> starts on a new line, so we lose the ability of inline numbering, unless someone can tell me what the css would look like to make it possible.
    stickywhipit: Easy, just define the style with "inline"...
    Code:
    ul, li
    {
      display: inline;
    }
    It's all looking good, guys, thanks.
  8.    #308  
    No. I don't.

CSS can do practically anything. CSS is as powerful as it is smart.

Tell me what you find ugly so it can be fixed.
    1. In the code, the LI version is definately easier to read and neater. NO DOUBT.

2. It hadn't occured to me that you can use CSS to restyle a list. Here is the challenge for ya.

Make This chapter intro LI.JPG look like this chapter intro DIV.JPG (scroller and page headers aside, we are just talking about the body of text here.)

It's just a style thing, the fonts and divider lines. Not so much the gaps between the verses. In fact I tried to make those go away, but wasn't successful cause of the id tags. I assumed they had to be in a <div> so that was my problem.... moving on.

I really feel like the verses should be addressed as 3:16 not just 16. Point in case. Can you tell what book, chapter and verse you are reading from in the passages below?

chapter middle LI.JPG chapter middle DIV.JPG

That's what I'd like to see different with the LI version.
    Hey thanks for this I would love to have this. What are yall needing right now? If I could be of any help, I would be willing to.
    Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    ... i see the only disadvantage to using the list item syntax is that each <li> starts on a new line, so we lose the ability of inline numbering, unless someone can tell me what the css would look like to make it possible.
    I posted just such an example on page 13 in post #249:http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1783810

And it's not using Unordered Lists, it uses Ordered Lists, which does the numbering for us. There is an extra bit of CSS code to make the numbers appear inline, which normally they don't.

Regarding rendering times, we're probably not talking much time either way. The List method requires a little from the processor, but does it with less than half the code.

Here's the ZIP file of the All-In-Index app I made to make sure it would render properly on webOS. Both lists use the same code, just styled differentliy. I'm searching for where ever Aptana stuck the IPK and will post it as soon as I have it.
  11.    #311  
    YES it is the KJV. And for the record, we 100% use the KJV of the Bible. I wouldn't think of using any other bible. No changes, No modifications. And Yes I fully understand.

As to additional scriptures, that is on hold while I work to help the team with the KJV Bible.
    Great to know. Thanks!
    frankos, add this to the CSS file and everything *should* correct itself.

If you didn't add the stylesheet information you can't expect the text to be styled.

BTW, where on Earth does Aptana save the IPK file? I can't find that bugger anywhere.

I'll respond further after some food. BBIAB.

Code:
    ol {
      	margin:0;
      	padding:0;
      	counter-reset:item;
      	font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    }

li {
    	display: inline;
    	list-style-type: decimal;
    	list-style-position: inside;
      	counter-increment:item;
      	margin:0px 5px 0px 0px;
      	padding:0;
    }

li:before {
      	content:counter(item, decimal) " ";
    	font-weight:bolder;
    }

/*
    	Just a few simple changes creates a completely different style
    	The additional classes are just to allow this example to exist on one page.
    	The actuall changes in styles would be handled via a Preferences page
    */

ol.eachLine li {
    	display:block;
    	margin-bottom: 5px;
    	}

div.break {
    	margin-bottom: 15px;
    	display:block;
    }
    div.nobreak {
    	margin-bottom: 15px;
    	display:none;
    }
  13.    #313  
    I don't know where the compile button is in aptana so I still use a batch file in the command line to package and install.

No, I haven't put anything in the stylesheets that I guess would make a difference.

I put the psalms sirwill supplied in a scene. When pushed it takes about 5 seconds to launch on my pre. It still doesn't have chapter dividers though. That might slow it down some more. Send me a psalms in the LI version and I'll load it up with the css entries and we can compare compare load times and looks.
    Surely there is a way?

That said, at the same time, while I am Chrisian, I have no problem with you taking the finished work here and inserting the LDS version of the bible for publication so long as you acknowledge the source of the reader and package it clearly as The Book of Mormon or LDS Bible.

Thanks for understanding.
    The LDS church uses the same King James Version as is in common us. The only peculiarity in this regard may be stylistic formatting and footnotes, as these incorporate the other scriptures used by the LDS faith. The Book of Mormon is a wholly separate volume used together with, but certainly not in place of the KJV Bible.

If the is a general concern, please feel free to use any other verifiable source for the text. The final document should be identical either way.

In short, there is no need to worry about the content of the Bible files as posted. They should be identical to any other KJV available, only formatted for HTML. As there are no footnotes provided and only the text and verse structure, there is nothing to be concerned with.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Colonel Kernel: yup, the stylesheet works great. thanks. i did already incorporate into the app, i just forgot that you had already solved that problem for me.

side note: Colonel, if you have the sdk, use the command line tool, palm-package.bat in the workbench (or workspace) directory where aptna stores the source files. it will create the ipk for you there.

so i took psalms and added the whole thing into the app, using div/table method for the chapter headers and ordered list for verses. it came out looking good and loading fast!

i don't know how to get the ordered list to do 1.1 vs. 1 for the verse numbering. the database route would solve this by using the data to create the text (thus killing the ordered list idea...)

i am now worried about loading up all of the books as text strings when the app is launched. the database route would solve this too.

but i can probably bang out all of the new testament books for everyone to see before the end of a short night tonight.

how should i spend my time, team? database or new testament?
  16.    #316  
    I tried this and it seems to work for inline type text. Would the ID tags still be searchable inside the <b> tags?

<b id="psc1v1">1:1</b> BLESSED is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
    <b id="psc1v2">1:2</b> But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
    <b id="psc1v3">1:3</b> And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
    Here's my Ordered List Test IPK. [EDIT: I found it with a search and now have a shortcut to that folder.]

I agree that we need to show what chapter someone is in without scrolling, but I don't think adding it to each and every verse is the solution. I'll confess that I don't know how to get the LI version to do that right now. Heck, I barely understand that extra bit of CSS counting code that gets it to work right.

Olive Tree's Bible Reader shows the chapter in the heading. Whether they do it dynamically or simply take advantage of their controls, I don't know. Touching the screen doesn't scroll, it highlights.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 07/29/2009 at 09:16 PM.
  18.    #318  
    frankos, add this to the CSS file and everything *should* correct itself.

If you didn't add the stylesheet information you can't expect the text to be styled.
    It still looks the same. I'm putting this in the newsimple bible from stickywhipit.

Time to put the kids down for bed. BBIAB
    I'll play with the CSS to see if I can get the verse numbers in there, in addition to contacting and thanking my source for that work-around.

frankos, I've never seen a <b> tag with an ID before. I think it should work, but the ID should go inside the LI tag: <li id="mat_c3_v33">

BTW, what do you think about adding underscores to the ID like that? It should make it easier to read when we have to delve deep into the code.
    we need to get an im convo going. who's in? do you wanna aim, yahoo, msn, gtalk, or irc?