Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Frankos - If you can give what to put in/around the text to make it format nicely for a Pre -- I can absolutely do that, the code is so simple, it hurts. (I can manually put the numbers in it, too!).

The version I'm using is The Bible in SQL which comes from Chinese and English Bible Online (the authorized KJV version).

Colonel: I'm not one for Javascript. If they'd have put PHP on the Pre -- I'd have cranked a bible app out already.

I'd bet that I could find a way to encode what I have in the DB, into a text document which could be distributed in the IPK. Then all that needs to be done is to insert it into a DB on device - which is possible using HTML 5 code. Not sure then how you'd delete the file from the device ...
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Another option, entirely, might be to include the Bible data withing the app, but in a separate, data/, folder. Then, when the app is first launched, spend a minute or two building the db. After the db is built and verified, copy the Bible data out of the app and store it somewhere else on the device for safe keeping. My db experience is very limited, so I don't know how feasible this actually is.
    We have no file access like that, and with the size of it we do not want to leave the load file on the Pre. One option would be to place the load file in the /media/internal somewhere (user would have to copy it there) and then we load it, then they can remove it. But I honestly think that for the DB version (future) we need to pull it OTA. (depending on how long it takes)
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Where do i put the chapters in the zip file at?
  4.    #284  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevon View Post
    Where do i put the chapters in the zip file at?
    I'm not 100% sure what your asking here, but I rekon to state that currently there are several peices floating around here and none of them quite fit together. We are getting there though.
  5.    #285  
    Okay so I just spend 2 hours updating the OP to have a summary of the last 15 pages of posts. Guess what? The links don't work!?!?!?! Anyway, they are still in there correctly but just don't work for some reason. I'm getting that weird Double http:// part in the address window. I've seen this on my attachments before too.

When I click a link, here is what I get in the address window:
    Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/!m193554!http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/193554-pres-first-bible-app-9.html#post1767336

Any ideas? Do the links work for you all?
  6.    #286  
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Frankos - If you can give what to put in/around the text to make it format nicely for a Pre -- I can absolutely do that, the code is so simple, it hurts. (I can manually put the numbers in it, too!).

The version I'm using is The Bible in SQL which comes from Chinese and English Bible Online (the authorized KJV version).
    I'd like to see it in a format that matches the included file. This has some info at the top for a header and a slider at the bottom. If I end up not using a slider it will be easy to remove the one line from each book. Anyway here is a screenshot and an .html file renamed to .html.txt for a sample. It's not the whole book of habakkuk, but it's enough to give you an idea what I'd like to see.

Capture.JPG

Thanks!

*edit*** For those interested, I've left in the div id tags because I'm not convinced we don't need them just yet.

rposa, you will need the list of books (bible books.txt) on the OP to make all the tags match what is being used for the rest of the project.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/29/2009 at 02:49 AM.
    Guys, has anyone tried Bible.org's NET Bible? I just discovered it recently. It is a revelation. And it is completely free for use (although you have to pay a premium if you want to get all the footnotes).

They currently have modules for e-Sword and the Sword project available, as well as HTML/MS Word versions that you can download.

**Edit**

If you guys could help define exactly what data format would be ideal for use in WebOS (i.e. layout of tables, field definition etc.) I'd like to work on a script I can use to convert Sword text modules into a ready-to-use db format that we can use in a WebOS application.
    Last edited by xcomputerman; 07/29/2009 at 08:30 AM.
  8.    #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    If you guys could help define exactly what data format would be ideal for use in WebOS (i.e. layout of tables, field definition etc.) I'd like to work on a script I can use to convert Sword text modules into a ready-to-use db format that we can use in a WebOS application.
    that's one great idea! I'd rather see us get official parterner status with esword but that's a good backup plan. It would be best though if our users could just download an esword db, copy it to their phone and go.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Hmmm, just had a thought. I can write SQL that would pull the data from a DB and format it correctly in HTML with all of the proper tagging needed! I'm going to look closely at the formatting around the verses such as

<div id="HABc1v1" class="palm-body-text" x-mojo-loc="">
    <b>1:1</b> The burden which Habakkuk the prophet did see.
    </div>
    I think I can easily pull everything. I'll work on it today. Output a file for each book, and then all that would be needed would be the small bit at the top and maybe the bit between chapters. I might even have a way of making that go easily too.
    sounds great sirwill!! i pulled the sql bible into a mysql database also, to play with the formatting of the html.

the speed at which it loaded into mysql tells me it won't take long to load up the db on the pre. i need to try that out too!

i like the format of the habakkuk example, because i am going to try to hook the scroller control into scrolling the among the verses and that div id tag should be my hook.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    OK, I have output Genesis without a lot of formatting, but with all of the div id's and what not for every verse in Genesis. I can output a book very quickly. Let me know what you think.

I'm not thinking for the DB version for the program, but rather the static version just quickly generating the data necessary to build each of the html pages. Let me know your thoughts.

It would be very easy to navigate to any verse with the div id's in them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    If <div id="Gen. 1:12" is usable (with a space, and period and : in it) then it might be good to use the same convention in the div id as in the <b> section....
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thank you for taking the time to work on this. Currently I'm point to the mobile BibleGateway site, but it lacks in many of the things that have been listed on this thread.

I look forward to seeing the progression. Since I'm not a coder, I'll hold off on trying to download and use this app, while the smart people work on it.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley B View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to work on this. Currently I'm point to the mobile BibleGateway site, but it lacks in many of the things that have been listed on this thread.

I look forward to seeing the progression. Since I'm not a coder, I'll hold off on trying to download and use this app, while the smart people work on it.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    thank you and too much praise. we have a little ways to go to get something that is usable and complete, but it will get there! keep watching.
  15.    #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    sounds great sirwill!! i pulled the sql bible into a mysql database also, to play with the formatting of the html.

the speed at which it loaded into mysql tells me it won't take long to load up the db on the pre. i need to try that out too!

i like the format of the habakkuk example, because i am going to try to hook the scroller control into scrolling the among the verses and that div id tag should be my hook.
    This is great news about the scroller. Thanks for helping with that as I think it will get us a usable bible reader quickly. I hadn't considred using the DIV id's as a scroll to point.... DUH! Should we just make them numbers like 1,2,3,4? Or should we add yet another div like:
    Code:
    <div id="1"><div id="ROMc1v1"><b>1:1</b> Verse Text here. </b></div></div>
    I can see now that it would be SIMPLE if the Verse Div IDs were just number 1-xx. All you would have to do is parse through the data and get the last one. Then you would beable to setup the scroller min and max values as 1-xx. Then you could tie in scroll snap points to each div id and you'd be set. Okay as I think it's harder than it sounds.

Anyway, I planned to start building book scenes for this last night but it took two hours to do the summary on the OP so, it will be tonight or tomorrow before I can get the books scenes all built. Once built we can just hard in in the scene.html files that are being built by rposa or SirWill and then we will have a readable bible. It would be easy to create a jumpto feature at that point but it would be alot of clicks. A slider/scroller would feel alot more like really reading a book. IMO.

Great work all! Now back to work for me!
  16.    #296  
    a couple more thoughts. I stated this but not clearly. Either way, the HABc2v3 type tags need to stay in as they would make it easy to jump to a verse that the user enters via some int pickers or other form of input (tables have been mentioned like the MyBible application.

Oh, and you could put a div ID at the top with the verse count to grab so the program wouldn't a have to parse the whole book each time it loads the book.
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but I installed what I think is the newest version of the "simple Bible" beingv1.5.0 and there is only 2 books in the NT(eph, phill) and 2 in the OT(1sam, hab) Am I missing something or is this all you have done so far? And also, what does the slider do on the bottom of the page? Thanks and keep up the good work.

Ken
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    This is great news about the scroller. Thanks for helping with that as I think it will get us a usable bible reader quickly. I hadn't considred using the DIV id's as a scroll to point.... DUH! Should we just make them numbers like 1,2,3,4? Or should we add yet another div like:
    Code:
    I can see now that it would be SIMPLE if the Verse Div IDs were just number 1-xx. All you would have to do is parse through the data and get the last one. Then you would beable to setup the scroller min and max values as 1-xx. Then you could tie in scroll snap points to each div id and you'd be set. Okay as I think it's harder than it sounds.
    I can understand just numbers, but how would you make it for a scroller for ALL of Mathew, not separate scrollers for each chapter?

I can generate anything per verse in that line like that. What I can't do is the stuff that goes between chapters, or the setup stuff at the start and end stuff at the bottom of a book. But the Quick production of the lines for each verse is quick and easy. Tell me what to generate and I can do it. Did you look at my sample up above?

I think you guys would be making a mistake if you do not use a simple List structure, styled with CSS.

Here's your sample from above:

And here it is using the Ordered List:
    <li id="ROMc1v1">Verse Text here.</li>

It is literally less than twice the length and, therefore, should load twice as fast. The Ordered List generates and styles the numbers for us. Then the ID, which is not just for DIVs, allows us to jump to any verse in any chapter in any book that we want.

When I first barged in, proclaiming the awesomeness of DIVs, I was wrong. My 1st Corinthians example I now know to be quite poor. All the opening and closing of DIVs, Class linking and the amount of CSS then needed to style it is completely unneccessary The List method is, I believe, elegant.

I didn't include IDs in my Outlining of the Gospels and Acts simply because it'd be a pain to do by hand, negating the ease of that conversion method, all the while fully understanding that by not including IDs that the use of those specific documents were limited at best.

I don't think it makes a lick of difference to the database guys which format is chosen, but an Ordered List gives the same or better results with half the code.

*gets down from soap box*

(sigh)
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but I installed what I think is the newest version of the "simple Bible" beingv1.5.0 and there is only 2 books in the NT(eph, phill) and 2 in the OT(1sam, hab) Am I missing something or is this all you have done so far? And also, what does the slider do on the bottom of the page? Thanks and keep up the good work.

Ken
    We're not nearly done, but thanx for checking in.