Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    After thinking on this design subject for a couple of weeks, here's what I've come up with. Excuse the crudeness, I mocked it up in Access (because it took about 3 minutes).

The current chapter you're in would display at the top /w the book name (Mark 12, in this instance) The chapter text would scroll up and down for the whole chapter.

There would be left/right buttons (or can the pre do the same by scrolling left/right -- don't know .. for changing chapters.

The app would start, Old / New testament buttons. Open in same window, Books. Then chapters. Then the graphic (below). The menu could have a "Home" which takes you back to old/new testament selection. Could also have a "Books" and a "Chapters" (for current book). And perhaps an input for inputting text like "turn to 2 Corinthians Chapter 2" (2 Corinthians 2) maybe autocompleting.

Could be stored in a SQLite db (which the pre itself uses). Then you're only making a table per book, chapters being a bigtext record. Obviously, I'm just pontificating. Possibly providing inspiration. The drawers idea seems .. clunky.

I know, all hot air and no code. Sorry
    ok, i went kinda stupid here... spent the night trying to get something working, finally decided to take one short cut in the name of progress.

i incorporated the text of a book into my array, so it is still very hard coded, but at least there is a book scene with a view menu that switches between books.

i used colonel kernel's matthew outline file (first 3 chapters) and incorporated his css styling, but i had to combine it all into one big long string, and for the other ot an nt books, i used smaller segments of his matthew outline file and just changed the title. this is crude but it at least keeps us moving forward. i don't know if there is a limit to the string size. now we can start making enhancements to the book scene, while i figure out how to load up html file. we still should agree on a file format for these books, colonel kernel's or the other one we were looking at. i guess it depends on if we need the markup tagging of the older format or are pleased with the outline tagging of this new format. thoughts?

so here is the latest installer and source and a book scene screenshot. i will be sleeping tonight and will probably not get any work done... i hope you all enjoy it.

com.stickywhipit.newsimplebible_0.4.0_all.ipk

NewSimpleBible_0.4.0.zip

bible-app-book-scene.jpg
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    So while we can not ship a pre-populated SQLite DB supposedly with an IPK, we can perhaps do the initial Data load OTA. So when the app is run, it checks if the the DB is built, if not it asks the user what books it would like to install. Based on the user choices it creates the table(s) and then downloads the books OTA and loads the tables. Would not be quick, but would be a 1 time deal for most users. This would also be a way of possibly making the application more dynamic for adding additional texts. Just some thoughts I had in the shower this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    So while we can not ship a pre-populated SQLite DB supposedly with an IPK, we can perhaps do the initial Data load OTA. So when the app is run, it checks if the the DB is built, if not it asks the user what books it would like to install. Based on the user choices it creates the table(s) and then downloads the books OTA and loads the tables. Would not be quick, but would be a 1 time deal for most users. This would also be a way of possibly making the application more dynamic for adding additional texts. Just some thoughts I had in the shower this morning.
    wow, was having the same thoughts too, but i skipped the shower... the 2 drawbacks are the slowness to populate and that we would need a centralized "texts" server (eh, maybe not so bad)
    You know this is in the wrong forum right? Have you seen the homebrew section? Looks like this should go there.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    You know this is in the wrong forum right? Have you seen the homebrew section? Looks like this should go there.
    The Homebrew section is for completed applications, or shall we say usable applications. This is still very much in the development stages. So, No I would say it does not yet belong in the homebrew section, but rather right here in the WebOS Development section.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    wow, was having the same thoughts too, but i skipped the shower... the 2 drawbacks are the slowness to populate and that we would need a centralized "texts" server (eh, maybe not so bad)
    It wouldn't be that slow to populate. Probably only a couple minutes. Well the download wouldn't be that long, as for the actual loading it in to the SQLite DB, I have no clue. As for data server, that depends. It depends on if we need to host the data, or if we can scrape it from some source that already exists on the net. (No I don't have a good existing source in mind, just my thoughts...)
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Mojo Storage Database - WebOS Internals

Has info about handling databases.

I do web hosting. I'm offer free hosting of any public domain STANDARD Christian bible for purposes of loading it into a Palm Pre database. So if you can make the mojo download into a DB work - you have the hosting solved.

When I say standard Christian bible, I mean "The Bible - Old and New Testament". Not anything with "extra" or "previously missing" books.
    Last edited by rposa; 07/28/2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Mojo Storage Database - WebOS Internals

Has info about handling databases.

I do web hosting. I'm offer free hosting of any public domain STANDARD Christian bible for purposes of loading it into a Palm Pre database. So if you can make the mojo download into a DB work - you have the hosting solved.

When I say standard Christian bible, I mean "The Bible - Old and New Testament". Not anything with "extra" or "previously missing" books.
    thanks for the storage info, i've already been perusing all the docs on html5 databases. just putting off implementing it because i really want to get the file-based system going first.

oh, and why would you only limit hosting to standard christian bible? we are hoping that any bible can be formatted to be used, as well as other religious texts.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    ... As for data server, that depends. It depends on if we need to host the data, or if we can scrape it from some source that already exists on the net. (No I don't have a good existing source in mind, just my thoughts...)
    For the moment, I think we should talk to Dieter and PreCentral. They made a not-insignificant addition of the Copy-able text field for fileCoaster, so they might host the db for us, allowing our app to connect to their servers to download it. That would also give folks the assurance of knowing the source.

rposa's offer could be good a bit later when our needs expand and should be kept in mind.

Another option, entirely, might be to include the Bible data withing the app, but in a separate, data/, folder. Then, when the app is first launched, spend a minute or two building the db. After the db is built and verified, copy the Bible data out of the app and store it somewhere else on the device for safe keeping. My db experience is very limited, so I don't know how feasible this actually is.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    oh, and why would you only limit hosting to standard christian bible? we are hoping that any bible can be formatted to be used, as well as other religious texts.
    Err, because that's what this project started out being? Once the framework is decided on and built, simple changes could be made for any other same-formatted text on another server.

I limited it to the Christian bible, because first off that's what my beliefs are. Secondly, I don't know the size but potentially that could be a ton of data with other texts / amount of users possibly using the app.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    BTW: I found a bible in mySQL format, going to convert it to sqLITE if anyone is interested in following this angle with me

It's about 10 megs or so..

Also, if anyone wanted it in any kind of specific format, just contact me off-thread. I can output them any way you'd want them output, so even if you weren't going "This way" I could provide outputted copies in whatever format you're using..
    Stickywhipit, if you add the IPK as an attachment, we can install it on the go with fileCoaster. PreCentral automatically adds the copy/paste-able text field to attachments.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Here's Genesis: http://mlky.com/bible/genesis.php
    And Exodus: http://mlky.com/bible/exodus.php

This is easy now I massaged the mySQL db to my liking ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Stickywhipit, if you add the IPK as an attachment, we can install it on the go with fileCoaster. PreCentral automatically adds the copy/paste-able text field to attachments.
    i was going to ask about that... i uploaded all 3 files using the paperclip upload icon, then just clicked attach all. what am i doing wrong? i don't want to insert web link or email link right?
    i was going to ask about that... i uploaded all 3 files using the paperclip upload icon, then just clicked attach all. what am i doing wrong? i don't want to insert web link or email link right?
    I don't have "attach all" option. I'm using the intermediate editor. Simple's too simple. Complex is too complex. But intermediate is just right ... for me at least.

When I upload from my computer, it forces me to do it one at a time. AND it automatically places them after the body of the message.

I have no idea why this'd be different for you.
    Don't click "Insert All." If you do it adds them to the body of the document and not an attachment. After you finish with the upload screen, the files are then, already, part of the post. Leave it as is and it should show up just after the post itself.

I've always done attachments via the control below the Submit and Preview buttons, so I didn't notice the Insert All option.
  18.    #278  
    Colonel Kernel,

Okay, so I understand how the lists version of the books works. And it looks like it's simple for rposa to spit them out in a hurry with a db file of some sorts. So, can someone please explain to me if it's easy and someone knows how to take a file that looks like the DUMB html exmaples and make them look nice and formatted for a pre with the chapter dividers and boldend chapter #'s etc? I ask cause the #'s aren't in the .html code and I'm not sure how one would get them out?? I guess I'm just wondering if it's been thought out before anyone spends alot of time working on it?

Stickywhipit,

I like the chapter jump at the top of the scene. I had concluded that it wasn't necessary cause you could just go back with a gesture and then pick a new chapter but you've got it going and it looks good so I say leave it in there. I appreciate you sacrificing your sanity by staying up all night on this project. I do have to ask if you wouldn't mind taking an evening to wrestle with taking the scroller/slider code from my version to stick into yours and see if you can get them to link. In fact I'm pretty sure I could get it going I just can't seem to extract the current position from the scroller into a variable or how to programatically move the scroller position. I've done it before for a page scroller but I can't figure out a standard scroller.

Thanks for all your work everyone!
    The Gospels and Acts have all been outlined and are uploaded into post #258:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1784889

These files are not from the original KJV.zip source file from frankos' OP. Sacred-Texts.com had a KJV with a better format to work from which made the Search/Replace operations much easier. Here is the link to the page I got it from: http://sacred-texts.com/bib/osrc/index.htm which was linked from this post back on Page 9: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1767244

I chose a different source text about a week ago when it seemed we might be moving in two directions and only occured to me last night, after outlining the first three books, that I should have mentioned it.

As it is, I don't intend to convert any more books. As easy as this conversion process is, a db centric approach is smarter in sooo many ways.

BTW, I'm excited about getting access to the ESV. My only concern is that I think I found their proper source file before and it had more code than is necessary for a mobile device.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 07/28/2009 at 05:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    ... [C]an someone please explain to me if it's easy and someone knows how to take a file that looks like the DUMB html exmaples and make them look nice and formatted for a pre with the chapter dividers and boldend chapter #'s etc? I ask cause the #'s aren't in the .html code and I'm not sure how one would get them out?? ....
    That is the acknowledged limitation of the Dumb HTML List method. Once we are reading from a db, either on device or to build our hard-coded pages, each List element will have its own unique ID, so that's not an issue. In my thinking, ommitting them now gets it done faster and gets something releasable, unsophisticated as it is, out sooner rather than later.

The numbers are, of course, generated by the Ordered List As for referencing specific verses and jumping around, could the DOM method be used to refer to the book of John, 3rd OL (chapter), 16th LI (verse)? Make the machines do our bidding?