Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Sorry I've been out of touch. I've been ministering at the church and working a 10 hour shift. Weekends are all I have to take care of family, ministry and hobbies.
    Here's the updated BADD Bible example I promised, but don't get your hopes up.

I have gotten a collapsible divider to open and close a chapter, but the result is wholly unacceptable. I'm not gonna spoil the surprise for you. You need to see how silly it is. 1st Corinthians, Chapter 12 is the only divider/drawer combo that I set up. After that bombed, there was no point in continuing. BTW, if you were wondering, it's even worse if other chapters are open.

I went back to the Basic Drawer example from the UIWidgets sample app, which is what I was working from, lengthened it and got the same results. Thanx, Palm! I'm kinda back where I was before this recent headway, but it may be for the better.

The way I was working, erroneous as I knew it to be, all the chapters would be hard coded within the book-scene.html file with as many divider/drawer combos as each book has chapters, not forgetting the accompanying assitant.jsjsjs $code$. $Considering$ $that$ $even$ $my$ $planned$ $Four$ $Gospels$ $and$ $Acts$ $has$ $a$ $combined$ $117$ $chapters$, $learning$ $Palm$'$s$ $method$ $makes$ $an$ $awful$ $lot$ $of$ $sense$ ... $not$ $that$ $I$ $can$ $make$ $any$ $sense$ $out$ $of$ $Palm$'$s$ $method$.

I think I need a good cry, so let me upload these files and I'll report back soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by billaking View Post
    Hi guys just checking to see what's going on. I too had problems with the code on the site. it looks on purpose, seems they really want us to buy the book.
    The book is worse!

I've noticed a lack of updates in the past few weeks. Hopefully they're making major changes.
  4.    #244  
    Years ago I had a "Pascal Bible" not meaning some translation but one of those big thick books that is the goto refrence for the pascal programming language. Anyway, it was 2nd volume and I would find errors in it on occasion. I think it's probably that way will all programming documentation. I mean all that code has to make the editors eyes water after a while. So I won't really expect any GREAT documentation for several months to a year or so.
  5.    #245  
    When you say "it's even worse when the other chapter drawers are open" do you mean the funny effect you get when closing the drawer?

If so I noticed this before but right now this may be the only method for a working "simple Bible." I do think it kinda sucks that you have to put each chapter in it's own drawer. That will seriously slow down the coding.

If your problem with it is the way the buttons are not close enough together that can be fixed with CSS. I was working on another app for my business the other day and I have a totally different looking header now that is loosely based on palms built in class " palm-page-header" Anyway, my point is the size of those drawers can be changed. And the button can be made to change when the drawer opens. Whatever code you find from palm will do the same thing as if you did it all from scratch yourself. Also, I don't think the palm drawered-dividers will have any better of a closing effect than the standard drawer.
  6.    #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    ... not that I can make any sense out of Palm's method.
    Did you look here in style matters:

View & Command Menus -> Menu Panels

Looks like this is another "example" of the drawer/divider or collapsible divider.
    The yo-yo effect is not present in Palm's Style Matters app even if the content extends beyond the page. Palm does that with another volley of code that is not too, too bad. If I can get the drawers/dividers done dynamicaly working, then that last bit of code should be easy.

By "worse" I mean that yo-yo drawer closing deffect throws you some where else on the page, forcing you to then hunt for where you were.

If there is another way to anchor the page or to keep it from resizing before and after the drawer closes then that may work, too.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I'm gonna start wrestling with the Style Matters app, itself. I'm gonna go page by page tweaking the code until it breaks. Then I'll move to the next page. If I don't have it figured out by the time I run out of pages, then I'll give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Years ago I had a "Pascal Bible" not meaning some translation ....
    Why not? The Bible translated into computer language. I'm sure some geeks out there could read it.
    Proposal for new HTML verse coding: Lists

The included image and code speak for themselves, but it hit me last night while flipping through the Style Matters app: A numbered list could number the verses automatically AND might simplyfy the rest of the coding.

This still requires Find/Replace, but only two and their simple as pie to do. This method, as is, does not set any tag IDs, but when we eventually pull from a database that shouldn't be a problem.

Formatting the scriptures into numbered lists can be done in Word, for crying-out-loud. The conversion to plain HTML *should* be fairly simple, but I'm confident in Microsoft's abilities to muck it up. Then, the two Find/Replace operations can be done to all five books (Gospels & Acts) in minutes.

This makes me excited again.

[EDIT: YIPPIE!!! It's even easier. No find/replace required. This part of the task has been rendered easy. I've got other fish to fry, but can somebody please start putting the four Gospels and Acts into a simple outline?]

For the sheer joy of it, compare this code to my previous code. Unbelievable.

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--

ol {
      	margin:0;
      	padding:0;
      	counter-reset:item;
      	font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    }

li {
    	display: inline;
    	list-style-type: decimal;
    	list-style-position: inside;
      	counter-increment:item;
      	margin:0px 5px 0px 0px;
      	padding:0;
    }

li:before {
      	content:counter(item, decimal) " ";
    	font-weight:bolder;
    }

/*
    	Just a few simple changes creates a completely different style
    	The additional classes are just to allow this example to exist on one page.
    	The actuall changes in styles would be handled via a Preferences page
    */

ol.eachLine li {
    	display:block;
    	margin-bottom: 5px;
    	}

div.break {
    	margin-bottom: 15px;
    	display:block;
    }
    div.nobreak {
    	margin-bottom: 15px;
    	display:none;
    }

-->
    </style>
    </head>

<body>

<ol>
      <li>Some Bible text.</li>
      <li>More Bible text.</li>
      <li>Still more Bible text.</li>
      <li>And guess what.</li>
      <li>What.</li>
      <li>No guess.</li>
      <li>C'mon.</li>
    <div class="break"></div>
      <li>This is just a stupid example.</li>
      <li>I know.</li>
      <li>So when do I stop.</li>
      <li>How about here.</li>
      <li>Plau.</li>
    <div class="break"></div>
      <li>Plau?</li>
      <li>Sorry, I meant to type "okay,"</li>
      <li>but my fingers were on the wrong keys.</li>
      <li>Uh, okay.</li>
      <li>That's what I meant to say.</li>
    </ol>

<br />

<ol class="eachLine">
      <li>Some Bible text.</li>
      <li>More Bible text.</li>
      <li>Still more Bible text.</li>
      <li>And guess what.</li>
      <li>What.</li>
      <li>No guess.</li>
      <li>C'mon.</li>
    <div class="nobreak"></div>
      <li>This is just a stupid example.</li>
      <li>I know.</li>
      <li>So when do I stop.</li>
      <li>How about here.</li>
      <li>Plau.</li>
    <div class="nobreak"></div>
      <li>Plau?</li>
      <li>Sorry, I meant to type "okay,"</li>
      <li>but my fingers were on the wrong keys.</li>
      <li>Uh, okay.</li>
      <li>That's what I meant to say.</li>
    </ol>

</body>
    </html>
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 07/27/2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Striking out erroneous information.
    Proposal for new HTML verse coding: Lists

The included image and code speak for themselves, but it hit me last night while flipping through the Style Matters app: A numbered list could number the verses automatically AND might simplify the rest of the coding.

This still requires Find/Replace, but only two and their simple as pie to do. This method, as is, does not set an tag IDs, but pulling when we eventually pull from a database that shouldn't be a problem.

Formatting the scriptures into numbered lists can be done in Word, for crying-out-loud. The conversion to plain HTML *should* be fairly simple, but I'm confident in Microsoft's abilities to muck it up. Then, the two Find/Replace operations can be done to all five books (Gospels & Acts) in minutes.

This makes me excited again.
    very interesting, indeed. i wish i could be done with my part so that we could have clear direction on how to move forward with the rest of it.

right now i am trying to dynamically insert the contents of a book.html file into a div tag. i'm sure this is simple, but i have not found any examples yet.

maybe someone else out there can help. i have the full uri of the file, "file:///{root of the app}/books/nt/eph.html", and if i make this the source of a WebView widget, it loads in 15-20 seconds, way too slow and is formatted all wrong, but it works.

so i was hoping to improve performance and formatting by somehow using this.controller.openFile(uri) or something like it (i was looking at the doc Viewer as an example that has some DocAssistant object somewhere with fileOpen) and then set $("bookdata").innerHTML=contents. does anyone know of a way to do this?

i tried Ajax,request(uri, ...), but that did not work, but did not return an error either, so i don't know what is wrong with it...

Code:
    	this.url= Mojo.appPath+"books/"+this.bookList[this.bookListIndex].file;
    	/*try{
    		this.request = new Ajax.Request(url, {
    			method: "get",
    			evalJSON: "false",
    			onSuccess: this.getBookSuccess.bind(this),
    			onFailure: this.getBookFailure.bind(this)}
    			);

//this.controller.openfile(Mojo.appPath+"books/"+this.bookList[this.bookListIndex].file);
    	}catch(error){
    		this.showDialogBox("error opening file", error)
    	}
    Code:
    BookAssistant.prototype.getBookSuccess= function(transport){
    	// Put the response into the scene
    	showDialogBox("GetBookSuccess", "Success");
    	this.controller.get("bookdata").innerHTML= "something happened!";
    	//this.controller.get("bookdata").innerHTML= transport;
    }

BookAssistant.prototype.getBookFailure= function(transport){
    	this.controller.get("bookdata").innerHTML= "something did not happen!";
    	showDialogBox("GetBookFailure", "failure");
    }

BookAssistant.prototype.showDialogBox = function(title,message){
    		this.controller.showAlertDialog({
    		onChoose: function(value) {},
    		title:title,
    		choices:[ {label:'OK', value:'OK', type:'color'} ]
    	});
    };
    with this code, the bookdata div says "something did not happen!", but none of the showDialogBox messages pop up...

help help help!
    Okay, I couldn't resist. I'm converting Matthew into outline format. Easy, easy, easy, easy ... and, yes, still a little tedious. But remember folks, they used to do all this by hand!
    Matthew is finished and Microsoft Word did manage to make a fool out of itself again.

OpenOffice did a respectable job, but it still requires a little Search/Replace.

I'll post it whan I have it.
  13.    #253  
    Well i'm stuck in my pre for now. It's exciting to see something to be excited about. I can't wait to get home and look at this on a big screen to see what your excited about!
    Even if you're not a code junkie I think you'll appreciate the simplicity of the ordered list doing much of the heavy lifting for us.

Here, also, is the KJV Matthew Ordered List HTML file. This has no styling what-so-ever. This is just to share the work with who ever else should need it.

All time tallied, I think I got this done in about an hour, maybe two. But a large chunk of that time was figuring out how to do it. Future books, from the source I'm working from, should only take about half an hour.

Still, me wants a db to draw from. I unearthed an SQL book of mine from times past to maybe get not so dumb about pulling data from dee bees.
    Colonel Kernel: i don't really mind putting it into a db, but the problem is that afaikafaikafaik $the$ $db$ $is$ $not$ $that$ $portable$. $i$ $have$ $not$ $seen$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $package$ $a$ $db$ $with$ $the$ $app$ $in$ $the$ $ipk$ $and$ $then$ $point$ $to$ $in$ $after$ $it$'$s$ $installed$ $onto$ $a$ $pre$. $am$ $i$ $wrong$ $and$ $totally$ $missing$ $something$, $i$ $hae$ $not$ $thoroughly$ $read$ $the$ $data$ $management$ $stuff$ $yet$...

i do like your outline formatted files, and can we start there, with a simple file that i can read into a div tag?

getting this far would be pretty exciting too, because then we can open this up to other "books" and texts.

just my 2 cents
  16.    #256  
    I think I'm 100% sure about how the stylematters collapsable drawers work. Hopefully after I get the kids to bed I can put together an exmaple in about 1-2 hours. NOW I have something to be excited about!!!! BBIAB

PS I'm so stoked about this, I'll have to look into the text formatting after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    Colonel Kernel: i don't really mind putting it into a db, but the problem is that afaikafaikafaik $the$ $db$ $is$ $not$ $that$ $portable$. $i$ $have$ $not$ $seen$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $package$ $a$ $db$ $with$ $the$ $app$ $in$ $the$ $ipk$ $and$ $then$ $point$ $to$ $in$ $after$ $it$'$s$ $installed$ $onto$ $a$ $pre$. $am$ $i$ $wrong$ $and$ $totally$ $missing$ $something$, $i$ $hae$ $not$ $thoroughly$ $read$ $the$ $data$ $management$ $stuff$ $yet$...
    Finding a proper solution for the database should be for a later version. Converting to simple outlines with a little clean up is easier than we were expecting. I still want a db, 'though. See below.

i do like your outline formatted files, and can we start there, with a simple file that i can read into a div tag?
    If you can take one HTML file and read it into the main scene file, then please do! Assuming, for the moment, that everything is still hard-coded, the ideal way to go, IMO, for the Book of Matthew, for example, the file matthew-scene.html would have 28 IDed, but nearly empty drawers activated by dividers, buttons, smoke signals ... whatever. Then, in the app/views/matthew/ folder would be 28 other HTML files of one chapter each that we pull in via the assistant file. THAT would be more than acceptable considering the multitude of db issues we now/will have.

getting this far would be pretty exciting too, because then we can open this up to other "books" and texts....
    Convert your text to an outline, cut it up into small, relevant files and we can hook you up!

Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    I think I'm 100% sure about how the stylematters collapsable drawers work. Hopefully after I get the kids to bed I can put together an exmaple in about 1-2 hours. NOW I have something to be excited about!!!! BBIAB

PS I'm so stoked about this, I'll have to look into the text formatting after a while.
    If you can get it done, frankos72, power to you. I was about to work from the Drawers within Drawers sample from Style Matters (it actually looks deceptively easy, but I know better) when I hit the second break through regarding ordered lists and then converted Matthew. The only thing I have to say, though is the yo-yo effect is not acceptable.

stickywhipit, I say put everything into a db now. We'll need it eventually, so start sooner than later. As you do, if you do, could you explain the db structure in n00b speak. VBA for Access 97 was very brief and a long time ago.

So, I will tackle outlining the other Gospels and Acts. The control freak in me will be mad if I don't.

FYI, I converted my OL example page into an All-In-Index app and it rendered perfectly.
    Here's Mark. That took about 20 minutes. His book being shorter helped, but still. As I complete the others I'll update this post.

Included Matthew, from above, and added Luke.

Here's Johnny!

And for my last act: Acts.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 07/28/2009 at 04:43 PM.
  19.    #259  
    If you can get it done, frankos72, power to you. I was about to work from the Drawers within Drawers sample from Style Matters (it actually looks deceptively easy, but I know better) when I hit the second break through regarding ordered lists and then converted Matthew. The only thing I have to say, though is the yo-yo effect is not acceptable.
    WOOT!

Check it out. It's a workaround really. It's not a drawer but rather changing the display properties of a DIV tag. I got the idea from the HTML listed at the bottom of the Drawer in a Drawer example in Style Matters. I noticed it didn't open/close the same as the other items. Heck, I've seen the yoyo effect in the drawer in a drawer example before.

Anyway on to the good stuff.... I couldn't get the arrow to work right. This should be easy, but for now, It's stuck in the "closed" position. Also, there is a "Close Chapter" button at the end of Chapter 12. It's just text for now. I thought a big button would be ugly. It would need a nicer button created for it. Probably a divider that says Close and has an up arrow, but really that's just CSS stuff... No biggie, just takes time.

So, let me know what you think? If nothing, it's definitely another way of doing things for certain situations. The example is again 1 Corinthians Ch 12.

A funny story, I spent like 1.5 hours trying to get this to work in Philippians on my version of the simple bible and I couldn't get it to go. I knew there was no reason it shouldn't be working so I moved over to the BADD Bible, dumped in the code and it worked.

Gnight fellers. C Yall tomorrow!
    Frankos! How is everything going? Sorry I haven't been on over the weekend, we had a Youth Conference that I had to be at... anyways... just wanted everyone to know that Crossway's Vice President of Operations e-mailed me and is interested in allowing us to use the ESV Bible... so, Frankos, I have PMed you, please get back with me! I look forward to making this a possibility!

God Bless.