1.    #1  
    I've been using Notepad ++ so far to develope. Now I'm installing the offial SDK release and I read about the eclipse plug in and I figure that if they are supporting/backing eclipse it is probably the best way to go for development. I really need some way to debug these apps.

Anyway, I want to know if I should download "Eclipse for Java" or "Eclipse for Java EE?" I don't really want a bunch of unnecessary controls in the way if I don't need them so I'd rather get the basic Java if it will do what needed. On the other side of things, I'd hate to download basic Java and be handicapped cause there are some good tools that I could use in the Java EE version.

Here is a link to their comparisons chart:
    Compare Packages | Eclipse Packages

Could someone please elaborate which version and why?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    I've been using Notepad ++ so far to develope. Now I'm installing the offial SDK release and I read about the eclipse plug in and I figure that if they are supporting/backing eclipse it is probably the best way to go for development. I really need some way to debug these apps.

Anyway, I want to know if I should download "Eclipse for Java" or "Eclipse for Java EE?" I don't really want a bunch of unnecessary controls in the way if I don't need them so I'd rather get the basic Java if it will do what needed. On the other side of things, I'd hate to download basic Java and be handicapped cause there are some good tools that I could use in the Java EE version.

Here is a link to their comparisons chart:
    Compare Packages | Eclipse Packages

Could someone please elaborate which version and why?
    The eclipse for Java would be fine. But really I'd just go out and get Aptana instead. It won't come with all the cruft you don't need and it will use the same plugin since it's based on Eclipse.

None of the tools for Java or J2EE are going to be of any benefit to you. You need a tool that does JavaScript, CSS, HTML. The basic Eclipse (java version) last I checked didn't have that out of the box. You still had to go out and get additional Web Development Tools to plugin and fill those needs.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    The eclipse for Java would be fine. But really I'd just go out and get Aptana instead. It won't come with all the cruft you don't need and it will use the same plugin since it's based on Eclipse.
    Cool, has this been tested?
    Yup.

that's what I use right now. Works PERFECTLY. Very simple to use, clean looking interface, the plugin works VERY smoothly, and no more need to type "palm-package, palm-install" anymore. One click of a button, it packages, installs, and launches on the emulator!

Life couldn't be better.
    Aptana works, and it does smoother than Eclipse.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks yall, I'l be dloading Aptana today.
    i've had eclipse with javaEE installed so i just got the aptana plugin. let us know how well the free version of aptana works. since i have not been doing much javaEE coding, i might take this opportunity to reduce the bloat...