Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I would have posted this in the Homebrew App section, but I don't have permission to start one. I decided this was the second best place.

    I would like to propose a new thread naming convention. It would be nice if the developers (or the thread starter) would change the title when they update the app/tweak/thread. It's already being done by saying "[v1.2] formally [v1.1.2]". Well, that is fine and dandy, but when was it released? Can we do something similar to what we did with our WinMo custom ROMs and change the date in the title during the update? Just add a date in it somewhere. Example:

    "My Totally Awesome Wicked App! [NRR] [v2.4.1] [7.12.09]"

    Then when you update it:

    "My Totally Awesome Wicked App! [NRR] [v3.0.0] [7.18.09]"

    This way we can tell if it's been updated or not without having to open the thread itself. Until we can get a homebrew repository, this would be the fastest way to tell if an update is avail or not.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    First off, inderstand it's the Mods updating the thead titles at the Dev's request. The Devs don't have that ability.

    And normally, the update reads [v0.2, was v0.1.2] so you can tell that an update was posted. Including the date information isn't a bad idea, but it adds another segment to an already overstuffed title.
  3. #3  
    On a semi-related note: when naming your app, it may be a good idea not to name it "PreNameOfApp". Universal Search picks up an ever-increasing list of apps when you type in "P".

    Just a thought.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  4. #4  
    I like having the date in the title but am not sure if it is the best thing to do.

    - Craig
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    First off, inderstand it's the Mods updating the thead titles at the Dev's request. The Devs don't have that ability.

    And normally, the update reads [v0.2, was v0.1.2] so you can tell that an update was posted. Including the date information isn't a bad idea, but it adds another segment to an already overstuffed title.
    Last I checked you could edit your posts in the Dev area. In fact, that's what you are supposed to do. A MOD has to change the title, why can't hit they simply add [719] to the title.. Takes up as much room as [NRR].. Sometimes I think the date is more important than version when the app is in rapid development stage.

    Regardless, you are missing my point here turbo. When I look at the thread list and see all the programs I have installed, I have to go to my Pre and pull up the App Info to see what version I have and then compare what I have to what is listed in the thread list. It would be MUCH easier to just look at the date in the title telling me when the last update was. I would be like, "yeah.. last I updated that program was last week.. I see there was an update 2 days ago. I don't have that update yet. Let me get it." As opposed to, "Hmm.. ThisGreatApp [v0.2, was v0.1.2]... Do I have v0.2 already? When was it released? Let me open this thread and look.. Or Let me get my Pre and look in the App Info for the version I have.."

    Can you see my point? It doesn't clutter anything at all to add a damn date to the title. Quite honestly, NRR clutters it as well. Most apps don't require rooting, unless the program needs to execute commands as root. NRR could be listed in the OP for that matter. So go ahead and bash that one too.
    Last edited by dBsooner; 07/19/2009 at 01:43 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I like having the date in the title but am not sure if it is the best thing to do.

    - Craig
    Why wouldn't it be?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    On a semi-related note: when naming your app, it may be a good idea not to name it "PreNameOfApp". Universal Search picks up an ever-increasing list of apps when you type in "P".

    Just a thought.
    TRue.
  8. #8  
    Under consideration, actually that was my original intention... Problem is, not every dev keeps a decent changelog. Some (if not most) delete their entire original post including date info and/or some edit for a typo and the edit date isn't reflective of an app change; without proper change logs, I am shooting in the dark with dates in the title. So the proposed naming convention only applies to a few apps due to accurate and properly formatted logs. Seems like a hassle for me to remember which ones to check on... Not to be lazy or anything yano.
  9. #9  
    Explain to me how my post was "bash[ing]" yours?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Under consideration, actually that was my original intention... Problem is, not every dev keeps a decent changelog. Some (if not most) delete their entire original post including date info and/or some edit for a typo and the edit date isn't reflective of an app change; without proper change logs, I am shooting in the dark with dates in the title. So the proposed naming convention only applies to a few apps due to accurate and properly formatted logs. Seems like a hassle for me to remember which ones to check on... Not to be lazy or anything yano.
    I can see your frustration here. I guess I am stuck in the past where everyone makes a changelog and keeps it up-to-date in their first or second post on their thread. (Hints how I would create two or three "reserved" replies to my threads)

    Maybe if you made a simple "1, 2, 3" ruleset for modifying their OP? Like adding a line at the beginning "Latest Update Released: $(DATE)-$(TIME)". Not necessarily keeping an accurate change log, more of an announcement of when they last released an update.

    Regardless, thank you for taking it into consideration. That was my goal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Explain to me how my post was "bash[ing]" yours?
    Well. You started your post with "First Off", which is usually a way of opening a statement where you are about to make points to disprove something or prove your own points. It's sometimes an offensive statement.

    Then you stated what I had already stated. Even though I had said it somewhat incorrectly by not formatting the "[v1.0, was v0.9]" correctly.

    Your post made me get a little defensive, which usually hints you were being a little offensive.

    It could have been a simple misunderstanding. But please stick to just saying Yea or Nay. Or giving valuable information. Simply stating "This is a decent idea, however it might be overcrowding the title too much. Also, only Mod's have access to changing titles." would have been enough. You could have left out the phrases.

Posting Permissions