1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I just bought a Palm Pre and am trying to get it unlocked for the GSM network where I'm based. I've searched online but there doesn't seem to be any specific info on this. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong places...

I would be very, very thankful if someone could help or point me to some resources/instructions.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    The PRE is a CDMA phone, It can not work on a GSM network. Sorry.
    Wow, I hope you didn't spend too much money on it lol... Give it a few months, I'm sure palm will release the GSM version for europe soon. That one will at least have a chance of working for you. In the mean time, try to get a refund maybe?
    This is why you do research before you go out and blindly buy something. Actual research, not speculative websites.
    I guess what everyone here is trying to say is:

Cellular phones (in the US) mostly run on the two big technologies: CDMA and GSM. Now, without going into technical details (which I don't know) they are different technologies all together and run on different hardware. i.e.: You need a GSM phone to run on a GSM network (such as AT&T/Cingular or T-mobile), while you need a CDMA phone to run on CDMA networks such as Sprint and Verizon.

Palm has already promised a GSM version of the Pre, but the release dates are kind of fuzzy right now (go figure). You should return your phone and wait until the GSM version of the phone is released.
    Well technically, if sprint really wanted, they could use a type of SIM cards called RUIM to use on a GSM phone.

Just sayin
    Whoa! You just blew my mind.

I did NOT know something like that even existed... Crazy!

I think i'll wait until the GSM version of the Pre comes out, buy the unlocked version, then get the Simply Everything plan with Sprint and get it on one of these cards.

haha.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by murdermajig View Post
    Well technically, if sprint really wanted, they could use a type of SIM cards called RUIM to use on a GSM phone.

Just sayin
    I have honestly never heard of that, thanks for that little tidbit I'm going to have to do some research on this thing
    I have one in my BlackBerry 8830. I use the phone when I travel abroad and can switch out any SIM card. I don't know if it will work the other way around though. Sprint might verify the phones ESN vs the SIM card ID.