Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just checking out the HTC Hero on engadget and it looks pretty sexy. I have not had much of a chance to play with an android device, but I would like to. Does anyone think that Android will be ported to the Pre, and if so do you think its in the near future? dual boot possible?

Last edited by supervillain; 07/18/2009 at 07:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Ummmm......100% no to ur whole post
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    So you don't think the HTC Hero is sexy?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Uh...dabulls, I wouldn't be so sure. I recall that the main selling point of the Android OS is that it's supposed to be universal. (aka can put it on any smartphone device)

Not sure if that came through, if it's still in the works, or what. if anyone can shed light on this go ahead...but I for one wouldn't just go and say NO WAY to android on the pre.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I say "no" because of all the legal crap that would happen. Doesn't matter if an OS is universal. Technically webos can be universal. How bout me going to the android forum and asking in the htc hero section requesting webos on my hero? Most smartphones need the web to be smart these days anyway. Winmo...same deal. I'm not stating it will NEVER happen. Its not going to happen anytime soon and when it does...ur pre will be old and u'll be wanting android on the next gen "pre"
    Considering both OSes are primarily targeted for very similar hardware (ARM cores), it shouldn't be an insanely difficult hack. If I had to guess, I'd say there's already a handful of disparate people working on it...as soon as someone starts up an "Android on the Pre" focused forum and gets those people connected, it will happen, and happen quickly.

And there's really nothing either Palm or Google can do, from a legal standpoint. Google most certainly wouldn't say anything about it, anything that spreads Android is a good thing. There's already all sorts of projects working on getting it up and running on some older devices. Palm would cause quite the stir by trying to stop people from flashing their phones, likely pushing the hack to center stage of the geek-news world. Only thing that could really put a snag on it is a catch in Sprint's Terms of Service. And I've got a hunch that anyone interested in tossing Android on their Pre...really isn't gonna give a damn about Sprint's TOS.
    Id say no since Palm developed webOS especially for the Pre. It would be stupid of them to market a device with anything other than their OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    Id say no since Palm developed webOS especially for the Pre. It would be stupid of them to market a device with anything other than their OS.
    Well it most certainly wouldn't be Palm doing the porting... But they have no control over what the rest of us do. And since Android is freely available, anyone with knowledge of the Pre's hardware is able to work towards getting Android running on it.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
    I say "no" because of all the legal crap that would happen. Doesn't matter if an OS is universal. Technically webos can be universal. How bout me going to the android forum and asking in the htc hero section requesting webos on my hero? Most smartphones need the web to be smart these days anyway. Winmo...same deal. I'm not stating it will NEVER happen. Its not going to happen anytime soon and when it does...ur pre will be old and u'll be wanting android on the next gen "pre"
    Regarding your comment about asking the forum guys about putting webOS on, well you'd be surprised. Coming from XDA-Developers, those guys love to mess with their phones, and many would LOVE to have another OS to screw around with. Do not doubt androids ability to be ported to many things.

The only issue I see is unless someone modifies androids main system files, the lack of home menu and back buttons kind of make it hard to get android on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I really hope it happen. my old decive (htc touch) someone ported andriod (some quy from new zealand) and it was AWESOME and really functional.

you can check out the massive thread about at the link below. maybe somone could even get in touch with the guys there. Linux and Android for Vogue - xda-developers
    Indeed, I've been following the Axdroid project (axdroid.blogspot.com) anxiously awaiting WiFi support. As soon as it is working, bye bye WinMo on my x51v!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2man07 View Post
    Regarding your comment about asking the forum guys about putting webOS on, well you'd be surprised. Coming from XDA-Developers, those guys love to mess with their phones, and many would LOVE to have another OS to screw around with. Do not doubt androids ability to be ported to many things.

The only issue I see is unless someone modifies androids main system files, the lack of home menu and back buttons kind of make it hard to get android on the Pre.
    Hacking OS ports into other phones vs having it allowed is a different type of topic than the OP's. Will ANDROID be ABLE to run on a palm pre? YES, if someone decides to hack the crap out of it. Will Palm allow an official release of Android on the Palm Pre anytime soon? I seriously doubt it. That would be them saying "Hey guys! let's develop and blow all kinds of money and manpower on WebOS! BUT put Android on our phones". Yeah not smart business and I don't see it happen. Let's run Iphone's OS on our Pre officially too, cuz it's not like Apple cares and would do something horrible like block iTunes syncing.

So yes, hacking OS's to any phone, very possible. Having it as a legal release? Nopes.
    So yes, hacking OS's to any phone, very possible. Having it as a legal release?
    ...Absolutely! Don't forget, Android is open source! Google can't say anything, Palm can't either. Only snag would be if something manages to violate Sprint's Terms of Service because, remember, you signed a contract there. So that arena is Sprint's playing field.
    I say "no" because of all the legal crap that would happen.
    who cares about the legal crap....
    you wouldn't be like "hey google! we put android on the pre, **** you"
    you would just do it and thats that.
    im not saying its possible, you would have to configure android to run with the pre hardware and some other things. but dont just blatantly say no, because anything is possible.
    Regardless of what everyone thinks Android is going to happen on the PRE at some point. its completely portable and can be configured to work on any phone with the hardware to suppport it. button keyboard layouts can be remapped, touchscreen interface can be changed as needed.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    WebOS is more powerful than android...compare the two OS's
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Android has been hacked onto other devices in the past. Totally possible. Virtual Box emulation ON the pre to emulate any OS would be nice, albeit slow and would be difficult to get full hardware support.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I love WinMo (don't judge) but I think WebOS has far more potential. With that said, I would put my money on Android being ported to this generation Pre within....say...6 months or so. Furthermore, I'll bet WebOS is running on other "non-WebOS devices" before Thanksgiving. If I had the ability, I would be trying to put WebOS on a TouchPro or G1 right now. Just my thoughts.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intro View Post
    WebOS is more powerful than android...compare the two OS's
    uh....in what regard? Are you saying WebOS has more functionality? More powerful for what?
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong android is a pretty cool OS, I've had both the G1 and the HTC Magic (myTouch3G) but Web OS has a much nicer and smoother UI. I prefer it to Android. I will say that the version of Android running on the Hero is the nicest one so far.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast