Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm no developer but I don't see it easy porting Android to another device.
    There's bee a group trying to get it on the Touch Pro for quite awhile and it's made very little headway. It bootable but unusable mostly.

Some may try to get it to the PrPrPr $but$ $it$'$ll$ $take$ $a$ $massive$ $effort$.

WebOS was NOT specifically made for the PrPrPr. $It$'$s$ $Palm$'$s$ $new$ $OS$ $that$ $will$ $be$ $on$ $all$ $it$'$s$ $future$ $phones$ $AND$ $Palm$ $has$ $NOT$ $rules$ $out$ $licensing$ $for$ $other$ $manufacturers$.
    When/If HTC get a hold of WebOS LOOK OUT! o:
    There's bee a group trying to get it on the Touch Pro for quite awhile and it's made very little headway. It bootable but unusable mostly.

Some may try to get it to the PrPrPr $but$ $it$'$ll$ $take$ $a$ $massive$ $effort$.

WebOS was NOT specifically made for the PrPrPr. $It$'$s$ $Palm$'$s$ $new$ $OS$ $that$ $will$ $be$ $on$ $all$ $it$'$s$ $future$ $phones$ $AND$ $Palm$ $has$ $NOT$ $rules$ $out$ $licensing$ $for$ $other$ $manufacturers$.
    When/If HTC get a hold of WebOS LOOK OUT! o:
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    there were people working on a port before the pre was released. google "android palm pre" theres an article from engadget
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I definitely wouldn't want an Android Palm Pre. But what i would like to see is maybe and android emulator like Classic so that you can use some of the android apps. But since google is making apps for the pre there might not really be a need.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    It all comes down to driver availability. Getting the core Android, or webOS, operating system to boot on any type of hardware is trivial, as they are Linux based. From there, however, you've got to get drivers working for the cellular, wifi & bluetooth radios, touchscreen, etc. etc... But, since the OSes are Linux based, it should be "easy" to move drivers between them relative to moving from WinMo, which has a different driver architecture. Still a hard task to pull off, but shouldn't be an utter nightmare as it is with previous platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
    I say "no" because of all the legal crap that would happen. Doesn't matter if an OS is universal.
    there is no legal crap- android is licensed under the apache license.

i see android on the pre happening sooner rather than later- for one, it's already running linux, so that's one portion that's already done...
    Last edited by PoundSand; 07/19/2009 at 04:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I also think it would be easier for hackers to port android to the pre because android and webos are open source. I would like it just because it would be another option for us. I do love webos though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon6535 View Post
    I also think it would be easier for hackers to port android to the pre because android and webos are open source. I would like it just because it would be another option for us. I do love webos though.
    webos is not open source. portions of it are.
    Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12