Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone figure out a way to wake up the palm pre using the small circle home button on the front instead of the top corner button?? Is it even possible?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    whats the difference??? i would rather have it on the top. every time you holster or pocket your phone youll wake it up. to be honest, that button shouldnt even be there, what a waste.....palm should have left the jester area smooth, or had many many functions for the center button.
    The Wams
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I, for one, would like the button to have a wake up function too.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    I, for one, would like the button to have a wake up function too.
    +50
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMS View Post
    whats the difference??? i would rather have it on the top. every time you holster or pocket your phone youll wake it up. to be honest, that button shouldnt even be there, what a waste.....palm should have left the jester area smooth, or had many many functions for the center button.
    More functions for the center button, yes.

The difference is you have to pick-up your phone. I leave mine sitting on the table. If I pick it up, then I might as well slide-out the keyboard (and skip the slider-unlock thing). Right now it's unecessarily scenario-redundant.
    I'm hoping, with software updates, that button will be used to bring up a software keyboard, either in landscape or portrait modes. Personally I like having the wake up button on the corner. Less chance of accidentally turning it on all the time.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    i got used to just waking up the phone by sliding the keyboard out
    +51 beat that caj27!
    I think it'd be great to have a single action to unlock the phone. Press the center button and then slide upwards.

Bam!
    While at first I thought this would be a boon, I've gotta agree with WAMS. Every time it is in your pocket or a case, it is constantly going to be turning the screen on, waiting for you to unlock—bye, bye battery life!

Might work well if there was some sort of toggle to turn the functionality on and off, but...that's another added step of inconvenience. "Sit at desk, toggle button mode, get up from desk, toggle button mode..." UGH!

Now, mynameisjim's suggestion is badass. Start with your finger on the center button—BUT!—it doesn't turn the screen's backlight on, just starts paying attention to touch information, and a swipe up unlocks and turns the screen's backlight on. That should help save your battery while it is in a pocket or case, while being very slick!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    More functions for the center button, yes.

The difference is you have to pick-up your phone. I leave mine sitting on the table. If I pick it up, then I might as well slide-out the keyboard (and skip the slider-unlock thing). Right now it's unecessarily scenario-redundant.
    You said it! I've always been annoyed that I have to wake up the pre pushing the power button and then slide up the screen unlock circle. What's up with that? Very REDUNDANT. Until I read your comment, I hadn't really thought about why it was that annoyed me, I just felt annoyed when I had to unlock the screen. Ever had one of those moments?

vinlop: I like your idea about using that button as an onscreen keyboard button as I find myself always launching the menu with the onscreen button. I see that many other people like using this button to actually launch the menu though so maybe they could add a feature to make the function of this button user-selectable?
  12.    #12  
    Being as this is dev change there's no reason if its possible that we couldn't have all of the above. I'm just coming over from an iPhone and definitely would love a center button wake feature, even if it meant you had to hold the button for a second. My phone is sitting on my desk and I have to pick it up to turn it on and then I might as well just slide out the keyboard. As far as an on screen, you could just have that pop up anytime you click a text box unless the keyboard is open.
    i want this too! It was the first thing i tried to do when the phone fell asleep the first time, and i still catch myself hitting the front button before sliding open the phone or hitting the sleep / power button.
    as far as it always going off in your pocket, why not a 2 sec. press? or double tap?
    This would be fantastic!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinlop View Post
    I'm hoping, with software updates, that button will be used to bring up a software keyboard, either in landscape or portrait modes. Personally I like having the wake up button on the corner. Less chance of accidentally turning it on all the time.
    +2.38e^28 on this one. Beat all of you. This to me makes a LOT of sense. I NEVER use the center button, but if I could pop up a software keyboard for quick use in a bind, or when I really don't want to use the hardware keyboard, this would be gold. Also, the center button as a notification for when the device is off was always my preference. I LOVE the little white light my Macs emit when they are sleeping. It would be fantastic to have it "breath" when I have a new message or alert. I've heard people mention having a different pattern for different alerts etc. but really, an alert is an alert, and I'd just prefer the ability to know when I have one, ANY one.

~m
    No developments for this yet?

Especially the message blinking ("breathing") light would be great. I carry the Pre in my pocket, so the wake feature would be fine if it could be double-tap or hold for a second or two.

(I hate commenting in here, because I feel like I'm asking someone to do something for me without offering anything in return, it's so pretentious).
    I'd like this if it were implemented.
    My center button doesn't depress very easily, so I don't believe it has clicked in my pocket unintentionally. Also, my power button doesn't have a tactile "click" to it, so I just press it and hope my screen comes on. If it doesn't, I press again harder. In the middle of the night, sometimes it's hard to find the corner button in the dark. There have been times when I've pressed all 4 corners before I found it. I've unintentionally clicked my volume and power button much more than my center button. I guess it depends on the case you use and how you carry it.
    What difference does it make if it goes off in your pocket? It should just take you to the lockscreen anyways...your phone wouldn't unlock itself. With the newest FW update (1.1) bringing the ability for the home button to wake the screen while the slider is up, I was hoping it would open a window for devs to program it to do the same thing with the slider closed.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    i thinks its fine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast