Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    if the center button was used to unlock the phone, i doubt it would cause battery issues. That button takes a fair amount of pressure before it goes down. If someone simply made it that you have to hold it down for 1sec, that would be enough to make sure that the screen doesn't turn on inadvertantly..
    my home button looks wierd color my wifes is chrome is mine just faded
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I am in agreement that the button is actually tougher then you think to depress. So I think this would be a neat tweak. I think I would use it for a little bit and if I find that it runs my battery down I would take the tweak out....

I wonder if anyone could look into the files and see what command is for the power button to turn the screen lock on and incorporate that to the center button. (I never use it anyways, might as well have some use for it.)
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Anyone figure this out?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkev1469 View Post
    my home button looks wierd color my wifes is chrome is mine just faded
    I just exchanged my Pre last Friday and noticed the same. The new one has a chrome looking home button while the old one had a yellowish looking button.

I have also noticed the screen on the replacement Pre seems much easier to clean than the last. Maybe a new manufacturing batch?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I surf with my pre in a waterproof bag (my job requires me to be on call most of the time). The corner button is nearly impossible to press in the bag. I would LOVE to be able to press the center button and swipe to unlock the phone.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'd love this as well. I didn't mind pressing the top button on my HTC touch which was roughly the same size and shape, but it's just not nearly as easy or convenient to touch on the Pre as the HTC was. Just having the phone in my loose jeans I doubt it would get pressed that often, and even then you have the lock screen to save you. Alternatively I actually wouldn't mind if I could only use the top button but didn't have to ALSO screw with the lock screen. I just don't see the point of having a lock screen when the wake-up button is so difficult to press, except maybe to check the time but I have a watch for that.
    I'm constantly wanting to hit the center button to unlock the phone. To me, this is a natural action, moreso than the top right button. Add me to the list of people who'd like this to be a wake-and-open button or, even better, a customizable button where you could bind an app and/or action to.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    has anybody done anything with this? this would be so great to have
    i have found a file titled "wakeup_sources" im thinking maybe there is something in there. Does any one know what time program is required to be able to open these files on the Pre. under file type it just says file
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by something13 View Post
    i have found a file titled "wakeup_sources" im thinking maybe there is something in there. Does any one know what time program is required to be able to open these files on the Pre. under file type it just says file
    what time program?
    sorry, what TYPE of program.
    was in a hurry
    i asked some devs if it was possible to make a patch that allows you to close apps by holding the center button, and they responded saying that there is currently no way to add functionality that utilizes the center button.
  14. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by something13 View Post
    If you're in the shell. vi <filename> or if you have optware installed, you could install nano which is much easier to use than vi.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    +50
    +572350092

For those of us who have an iPod Touch (or even an iPod with the scroll wheel), this is a natural action. It's also similar to any phone's "OK" key, or center key.

This should be native, so a patch would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinlop View Post
    I'm hoping, with software updates, that button will be used to bring up a software keyboard, either in landscape or portrait modes. Personally I like having the wake up button on the corner. Less chance of accidentally turning it on all the time.
    That would be great. Can anyone do that now? Not having to do the double tap would be nice.
    I would love the ability to wake the phone with the center button. Any news on this?
    I'm going to guess by the post dates, probably not.

Do we have any hardware engineers with some spare time?
    I lack the free time, but here's what I would guess (and maybe someone with free time could pick up on it).

The center button is probably attached to one of the GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) pins on the OMAP3 (along with, probably, the power, silence, and volume buttons [and possibly the keyboard, though it may have its own SPI/I2C controller]). I doubt it's accessible from the filesystem like the LEDs. Like the power button, we would probably have to set an interrupt on the center button pin in order to pull the OMAP3 out of its sleep state. The GPIOs probably share a common interrupt handler, which would make this all impossible since we would have to roll our own kernel to support a wake event from the center button (or possibly all buttons interrupt, and the center button is handled in a limited fashion).
    It might be worthwhile to look at the BeagleBoard and see if anyone there has done something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    It's possible the circuit the button is connected to is in a nonfunctional state during sleep mode. The touch screen is powered down during sleep mode and the button might be the same.

I really doubt you'll see the Pre's button gain any additional functionality since they appear to be semi-vestigial relics now. Verizon's Pre Plus is buttonless, as are all version of the Pixi. I expect that mid-summer when the Pre Plus ceases to be a Verizon exclusive and comes to all carriers that the buttonless look will become the standard across all WebOS devices.

And it makes sense. The button requires machining the touch screen (which has to up the per unit cost due to cracked/damaged screens) and adding an illuminated moving part. The buttonless approach relies on the touch screen itself to process the input along with an immobile LED.
    It's pretty much a useless button that's why they left it out with Pre Plus. If it was possible I think we would have had some kind patch by now. We do have many clever people on precentral here. Would love to have it functional though.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast