View Poll Results: Is developing for WebOS as easy as they claim?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

20 64.52%
  • NO

11 35.48%
  1.    #1  
    Before the SDK was leaked, before it was publicly released - Palm was claiming that developers who had been given access to the SDK to develop some of the apps we see in the App Catalog were raving about the simplicity and ease of developing for WebOS.

Now that we've had a chance to work with it, what are your thoughts?

Is it as easy as they claim?

My answer: YES!!!!

I'm not a developer by trade, but I've already developed a functional and useful (for me anyway) app - Habla.

Just today, I revamped Habla and added support for French, Italian, Portugese, and German - using WordReference.com dictionary. [ I haven't put the .ipk out yet ]

I'm quite pleased so far with the development experience in WebOS.
    I'm a pretty poor programmer and I don't know much about html or javascript, but from what I have seen in the SDK it seems fairly straightforward and easy to pick up...
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    What I don't understand about the sdk is lack of support for opengl commands. We can't make iphone like games because of this. Its a shame cuz the graphics chip in the pre rivals an iphone 3gs yet we can't program it to be. I'm hoping there's a more advanced sdk given to companies like electronic arts and the like.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I need some help with the SDK if anyone can help me . When I try and download an app on to the phone , it puts it on the emulator instead ? How to I get it straight to the phone or from the emulator to the phone ?? thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
    What I don't understand about the sdk is lack of support for opengl commands. We can't make iphone like games because of this. Its a shame cuz the graphics chip in the pre rivals an iphone 3gs yet we can't program it to be. I'm hoping there's a more advanced sdk given to companies like electronic arts and the like.
    Wasn't this known even before the SDK was released? I would like to see an advanced SDK with accessibility to low level hardware as well.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcea View Post
    I need some help with the SDK if anyone can help me . When I try and download an app on to the phone , it puts it on the emulator instead ? How to I get it straight to the phone or from the emulator to the phone ?? thanks in advance
    If you're using Eclipse.

Click Run > Run Configurations... >

In the Main window on the right hand side, choose your current project in the Project box, and in the Target box, there are two choices:

Palm Emulator
    Palm Device

Choose Palm device and Plug in your Pre, then click Run.

That will install the app to your device instead of the emulator.

If you're using command line, go to the directory that your application directory is in.

palm-package application-folder

It will tell you the name of the .ipk it generated.

Plug in your Pre, and -->

palm-install the-ipk-name-given-from-palmgenerate
    Your "advanced SDK" is learning how to write apps in a Linux environment that use the frame buffer...

Official support for things such as OpenGL will come, I'm sure, as market demand forces it. But, at the moment I get the feeling that Palm is trying to position the Pre as a tool, something for people who USE their mobile devices to get real work done, while trying to make the iPhone look like a toy. And hey, without multitasking...that's pretty much all the iPhone is! Have fun playing your iTunes library, fanboys!