Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    I downloaded the SDK and noticed that the emulator is running webOS 1.1. I wonder if the version the emulator is running will be the same as the 1.1 release for the actual device? I was kind of hoping there would be some new features added with 1.1 update.

Some things that I miss from my Centro:
    World Clock
    More advanced calculator
    Emoticons for SMS messages
    Ability to back up everything.

Really just minor stuff that I think will be fixed by new/updated apps.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    What have you noticed that is different that what we're running now??
    If this is true, then this could corroborate the report of added features from another thread.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I was just poking around the SDK 1.1 and I didn't see anything "new" in there. At least nothing that the posts I've read said would be in there. I think the SDK is "1.1" so that any apps written in it will already be on the current version of WebOS. I'm just guessing here...
    The Emulator pre-1.1 was missing many Apps that came on my Pre. So I wouldn't use it as an indicator of any new apps and app changes.
    I'll tell you the biggest difference with the emulator: it works with EAS systems that require PIN unlock/remote wipe. I decided to check and see if it does anything different than my Wifi-only Pre (I'm using a Treo Pro until they get this stuff sorted out) and by God it synced! Calendar, contacts, everything. It didn't enforce the PIN on the emulator, so I logged into Outlook Web Access to see if there was support from the OWA side to wipe the device, display the recovery password, etc. Nope. It looks like they're "pretending" to support the functionality from the client perspective, but not foricng the policies, kind of like the Apple iTunes thing. But then again, we're using Exchange 2010 Beta, so it could be buggy. My Treo Pro, on the other hand, being a WM device, has all the EAS security features available from OWA.

After that worked, I double-checked my Pre to see if it would work and no joy, still broken; so this is a definite difference between the SDK emulator and the actual device.

If this is evidence of what's coming in the future - this would probably be my final roadblack to using the device full time. Try it yourself, if you have the PIN unlock issue. See if it works for you. I'd post a screenshot, but this is my first post.
    Last edited by kwbunn; 07/17/2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Yes, I work for Microsoft. No, I don't drink the Kool-Aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwbunn View Post
    I'll tell you the biggest difference with the emulator: it works with EAS systems that require PIN unlock/remote wipe. I decided to check and see if it does anything different than my Wifi-only Pre (I'm using a Treo Pro until they get this stuff sorted out) and by God it synced! Calendar, contacts, everything. It didn't enforce the PIN on the emulator, so I logged into Outlook Web Access to see if there was support from the OWA side to wipe the device, display the recovery password, etc. Nope. It looks like they're "pretending" to support the functionality from the client perspective, but not foricng the policies, kind of like the Apple iTunes thing. But then again, we're using Exchange 2010 Beta, so it could be buggy. My Treo Pro, on the other hand, being a WM device, has all the EAS security features available from OWA.

After that worked, I double-checked my Pre to see if it would work and no joy, still broken; so this is a definite difference between the SDK emulator and the actual device.

If this is evidence of what's coming in the future - this would probably be my final roadblack to using the device full time. Try it yourself, if you have the PIN unlock issue. See if it works for you. I'd post a screenshot, but this is my first post.
    That's good to hear! I'm downloading now to see if my EAS will work with it. My boss loved mine so much he got one for himself, and I fear feeling his wrath if the next update doesn't fix our problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Split50 View Post
    What have you noticed that is different that what we're running now??
    The only new thing I tripped across in there is that Sym+K will give you some smileys to choose from.
    I was hoping for MSN Messenger integration and finally being able to send pictures from Twitter without opening the email app.
    So I tried to set up my EAS (was receiving SSL error on Pre) and it gave me a different error message about the certificate. That gives me hope that the issue is being worked on, but also gives me doubts about my situation improving.
    It does indeed work with EAS with the security features though it still doesn't appear to be fully functional. I used the emulator to connect to our EAS server and I got prompted to create a PIN but only a 4 digit one and it could only be numbers, no letters/characters allowed. Our policy requires a 6 character alphanumeric PIN. We also enforce a locked screen after a period of time but the emulator never locked. I'm hoping that's just because it was an emulator and not the real thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I was hoping for MSN Messenger integration and finally being able to send pictures from Twitter without opening the email app.
    +1 for Messenger!

I believe it's referred to as Windows Messenger Live! now.

hahaha.

but yeah... we need it... very soon... : /