Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    to start with i'm a newbie with patching and things of this nature...
    i was trying to run the patch

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.clock/themes/themes.json

to change my clock but i keep getting "Permission denied"....

i am using a novaproxy file in combination with PuTTY to root my Pre, this is where i end up.

root@castle:/#

i enter rootfs_open -w then apply the patch and i get this...

/bin/sh: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.clock/themes/themes.json: Permission denied

any help would be much appreciated

d
    try "mount -o remount,rw /" as root.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    try "mount -o remount,rw /" as root.
    Ive run into this several times when I forget to remount the filesystem as rw.

It'll even deny access when root since the filesystem is ro (read only). Use Warboy's command to make it rw (read and write).

Make sure to remount as ro when finished:

mount -o remount,ro /
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Ive run into this several times when I forget to remount the filesystem as rw.

It'll even deny access when root since the filesystem is ro (read only). Use Warboy's command to make it rw (read and write).

Make sure to remount as ro when finished

=======

thanks for the replies...

i tried this but i still get hit with the permissions denied....i've been snooping around for others with this problem and found some similar...

when i get the root@castle:/# prompt
    do i need to login with the login/pw i setup while going through the ipkg-opt from this page
    pre dev wiki: Next Steps: Enable the Optware Package Feed
    i'm semi lost at this point so any help again is heroic!!!...i will not give in though!!!! hahaha

seems like there is some stupid small detail i am missing that is keeping me from getting permissions....

thanks again

d
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsuycott View Post
    to start with i'm a newbie with patching and things of this nature...
    i was trying to run the patch

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.clock/themes/themes.json

to change my clock but i keep getting "Permission denied"....

i am using a novaproxy file in combination with PuTTY to root my Pre, this is where i end up.

i enter rootfs_open -w then apply the patch and i get this...

/bin/sh: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.clock/themes/themes.json: Permission denied

any help would be much appreciated

d
    The file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.clock/themes/themes.json is NOT a shell script to be run to perform the patch, but is the file that needs to be modified as described in the original post.

If you do not know how to use vi or nano to edit this file, I would suggest going to the pre dev wiki to install the quilt patching system (from the "Applying Patches" page). The clock modification patch has been uploaded to the gitorious website.

Of course this requires rooting your Pre and enabling the Optware package feed in order to install all the required packages.

I hope this helps... plee3
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    aaahha so that makes sense, a file...ok, time to learn up on what vi is and does...on the other hand i did go to install the quilt patching system and on the first command attempt i got this...???

i did the whole "next step after rooting" page but maybe i made some mistakes...is there a way to go back or overwrite what i have done to get a fresh start.

thanks a lot, i rely appreciate your time with a nooooby fetus such as myself...i just love to f*k with gadgets and this one seems like a blast!!!

d

root@castle:/# sudo -i
    >>> /opt/etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 31 <<<
    >>> /opt/etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 33 <<<
    sudo: parse error in /opt/etc/sudoers near line 31
    sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    aaahha so that makes sense, a file...ok, time to learn up on what vi is and does...on the other hand i did go to install the quilt patching system and on the first command attempt i got this...???

i did the whole "next step after rooting" page but maybe i made some mistakes...is there a way to go back or overwrite what i have done to get a fresh start.

thanks a lot, i rely appreciate your time with a nooooby fetus such as myself...i just love to f*k with gadgets and this one seems like a blast!!!

d

root@castle:/# sudo -i
    >>> /opt/etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 31 <<<
    >>> /opt/etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 33 <<<
    sudo: parse error in /opt/etc/sudoers near line 31
    sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
    These errors are telling us that the file /opt/etc/sudoers has been modified incorrectly. In the "Next Steps" page, you are asked to create an unprivileged user and then to allow it to gain "root" privileges. This will modify the /opt/etc/sudoers file and was probably done incorrectly.

You can "cat /opt/etc/sudoers" and see the last few lines to see if they are correct. For example, my last line looks like "plee3 ALL=(ALL) ALL". Obiviously in your file, the "plee3" field should be replaced with your username that you created in the previous step.

If you are interested in hacking, you should really learn how to use vi, which is just a text editor, to allow you to modify files on the Pre. There is a brief explanation of how to use vi in the "Basic Linux Use" page of the pre dev wiki.

Hope this helps... plee3
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    These errors are telling us that the file /opt/etc/sudoers has been modified incorrectly. In the "Next Steps" page, you are asked to create an unprivileged user and then to allow it to gain "root" privileges. This will modify the /opt/etc/sudoers file and was probably done incorrectly.

You can "cat /opt/etc/sudoers" and see the last few lines to see if they are correct. For example, my last line looks like "plee3 ALL=(ALL) ALL". Obiviously in your file, the "plee3" field should be replaced with your username that you created in the previous step.

If you are interested in hacking, you should really learn how to use vi, which is just a text editor, to allow you to modify files on the Pre. There is a brief explanation of how to use vi in the "Basic Linux Use" page of the pre dev wiki.

Hope this helps... plee3

thanks again...i've begun reading about vi, we'll see what happens...

one last quick thing...can i undo/correct any of my mistakes? or start over?

thanks

d
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    thanks again...i've begun reading about vi, we'll see what happens...

one last quick thing...can i undo/correct any of my mistakes? or start over?

thanks

d
    If you are logged in as root, you can try to fix the file using vi. Otherwise, you might be able to start over by uninstalling sudo ("ipkg-opt remove sudo") and reinstalling it ("ipkg-opt install sudo").

Thanks... plee3
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    If you are logged in as root, you can try to fix the file using vi. Otherwise, you might be able to start over by uninstalling sudo ("ipkg-opt remove sudo") and reinstalling it ("ipkg-opt install sudo").

Thanks... plee3
    thanks again a million times...went back and ran the remove then the [I]install[/] and saw things i haven't seen yet...all is running well and i'm patching my brains out!!!!

off to learn about 'vi' and really screw my phone up

thanks again.

d