Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that the sdk is officially out I want to start writing my application. It will require a database since it needs to have alot of data. I can't use cloud services because it may be used in areas where there is no network coverage. In NYC, many gyms are in basements in buildings with up to 50 floors, getting coverage is just not possible, but its the one time when the client needs the information.

So I think I know what I want to do and I wanted to run it by the forum for advice and comment.

When the application first starts up, it advises the user that the application is being set up for the first time. During this time, i will create a database in the media partition (as per sdk, not limited to size), create my schema and insert all my day zero data.

Then I will ask the user questions to customize the experience for them.

After that they can interact with the application to add more data, view history and statistics. I plan to use HTML canvas tag for graphing.

What do you guys think?

I don't need advise as to whether an application like this is needed in the marketplace, I just want developer advice.

Thanks to you all!!
    I'm very interested in this. My buddy has one like this on his iPhone and I have been hoping for something similar on the Pre.
    would def love to test this out when its complete if you need testers
    I want a fitness app that uses GPS to measure miles and pace. Don't know if that could be an add on. Looking forward to it!
    not sure what you're asking for. what do we think of what? the functionality? the database initialization?

there isn't a whole lot of detail for a dev to comment on, but in general, it sounds fine.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I am a regular runner. I Would love an app that used the gps to track my runs. IF It was Integrated with google that would be great their is a similar program on the g phone.

I would test as well
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I want a fitness app that uses GPS to measure miles and pace. Don't know if that could be an add on. Looking forward to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by EBPMAN View Post
    I am a regular runner. I Would love an app that used the gps to track my runs. IF It was Integrated with google that would be great their is a similar program on the g phone.

I would test as well

I am working on an app like that. I plan on releasing in the homebrew section soon. hopefully this weekend if all goes well.
    One thing I miss the most from the iphone app store is the app called LoseIt!. It focuses more on diet(calorie counting) and you input everything you eat that day based on your weight lost or weight gain goals.

It has a huge databse of foods and thier nutrition information, etc and you can create your own.

I also like that you can customize it by counting the macronutrition type such as protein, fats and carbs.

I hope someone ports that one or create an entirely new one for the Pre!
    One thing I miss the most from the iphone app store is the app called LoseIt!. It focuses more on diet(calorie counting) and you input everything you eat that day based on your weight lost or weight gain goals.

I hope someone ports that one or create an entirely new one for the Pre!
  10.    #10  
    Although the gps app sounds great. That was not what I plan to develop, I am glad there is someone working on that.

As a nutrition student and a working .net developer, I am interested in doing an app loke LoseIt or my favorite My Personal Diet.

Sorry my question was not clear but what meant to ask if the idea of creating the database, schema and zero data at first start up seems right or if there is a better way. I also discover last night that creating a script to hold the db schema and zero data (initial nutrition data) is over 100 megs which is about 10 times larger than it should be so I have to find a way to shrink it. Once in a db its small but an ascii file is huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericnyc646 View Post
    As a nutrition student and a working .net developer, I am interested in doing an app loke LoseIt or my favorite My Personal Diet.

My personal diet is a great database program. I love the way it integrates to "My sports training". Have you seen their iphone version? That would be a good model for your project.

BTW, I have it by a good source the VidaOne is not going to develop for the Pre. Their loss, your gain.

What would really be cool is a diet / training database program that keeps a local copy on the Pre and also syncs to a cloud so you can view / analyze your data.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I don't believe you have a choice in the matter, as the SDK won't allow you to distribute pre-built database files with your app (which sucks). You also can't download files to your Palm Pre, which doesn't help. This is one of the biggest complaints from the Pre developers.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Quote Originally Posted by ericnyc646 View Post
    Although the gps app sounds great. That was not what I plan to develop, I am glad there is someone working on that.

Sorry my question was not clear but what meant to ask if the idea of creating the database, schema and zero data at first start up seems right or if there is a better way. I also discover last night that creating a script to hold the db schema and zero data (initial nutrition data) is over 100 megs which is about 10 times larger than it should be so I have to find a way to shrink it. Once in a db its small but an ascii file is huge.
    how are you creating the db that's take over 100megs just to create the schema? are you using the sqllite or the depot api?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    My personal diet is a great database program. I love the way it integrates to "My sports training". Have you seen their iphone version? That would be a good model for your project.

BTW, I have it by a good source the VidaOne is not going to develop for the Pre. Their loss, your gain.

What would really be cool is a diet / training database program that keeps a local copy on the Pre and also syncs to a cloud so you can view / analyze your data.

Thanks, I talked to VidaOne as well, they told me, no thanks. We don't think the Pre has a stable development environment at this time. So as one of their customers I said, ok, I will do it myself. One of the things I like about the program is that its based on USDA SR-21, which is the USDA food database. So I can get the same database, royalty free, port it and then use it in my program. So the db portion is done for me. My difficulty is getting it onto the Pre. But I think I can figure it out.

I also want to eventually do cloud syncing so they can access even more functionality on their desktop through a browser. Thanks for the info.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    how are you creating the db that's take over 100megs just to create the schema? are you using the sqllite or the depot api?
    I am going to use HTML 5 database object. According to the info at developer.palm.com, it can grow to the size I want it. I know that other programs that use this same database take about 5 megs on the device. I am not sure if the db though compacts as well on the Pre. I will have to play around with that.

My real difficulty is just getting the db on the Pre. Obviously I also don't want to download 100 megs over the net to get it on the Pre. Even if it eventually becomes 5 megs on the device. I have to find a way to compact the scripts. Make them much tighter.

Currently on my development machine I have the db on SQL Server 2008 and use the generate script function to create the schema and the data inserts. I have to look at that this weekend to see what inefficiencies Microsoft might have in their scripting. They probably don't care about space since the script is not meant to be used for mobile devices.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Would LOVE a LoseIt type program and would even pay for it if they continually updated it with new nutrional info.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Would LOVE a LoseIt type program and would even pay for it if they continually updated it with new nutrional info.
    Cool, that's my goal. Maybe I should use you as a beta tester when I figure this out.
    LoseIt was the one app that almost kept me from switching to the Pre - I found it to be invaluable and I lost a lot of weight with it helping me monitor my diet. I would also pay for this!
    The biggest problem with diet programs is the database. If you use the FDA list, most of the time the user will have to guess actual amounts at restaurants and such. I'd suggest writing something that uses the calorieking.com APIs... not free, but it is the best db around (>50K food items). I use their webapp all the time, but a native app (like palm has) would be great!
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcorrado View Post
    LoseIt was the one app that almost kept me from switching to the Pre - I found it to be invaluable and I lost a lot of weight with it helping me monitor my diet. I would also pay for this!
    I lost 100 pounds using My Personal Diet. I understand how you feel about these programs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast