Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I was wondering what everyone is using or suggests using for an IDE to develop webOS apps.

I see Palm has a plugin for Eclipse. Although I've heard horror stories of Eclipse. Is anyone here using it and recommend it?

I haven't done too much programming besides some java and web stuff; so that's why I figure I might give webOS a try.

Give me some feedback/suggestions.
    Eclipse isn't bad. I certainly wouldn't call it a horror story. The best thing about the plugin for Eclipse is that it lets you package and run your apps with a single button click.
    I downloaded Eclipse and tried to bring in the WebOS plugins according to Installing Eclipse with the SDK, but when I add the palm site, it says it cannot find any repositories.

Anyone else experience this? Has anyone did it and it worked?
    I tried it also. Palm appears to have a number of dead links on their site. Seems as though the site was up with out everything being in place.
    Last edited by Trojaneyez; 07/16/2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: damn fat fingers
    What kind of horror stories have you heard with eclipse? I think its a really good ide.
    Eclipse is too much for many of us. Komodo editor (The free one) with the webos toolbox works VERY well for me.
    Lots of people get a terrible first impression of Eclipse because by default it clutters up the screen with a lot of panels and windows (for things like file navigation, task lists, etc.), which doesn't leave a lot of room for actual coding.

The good news is that you can turn all that junk off, and once you do, Eclipse is a really quite decent IDE.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Eclipse is too much for many of us. Komodo editor (The free one) with the webos toolbox works VERY well for me.
    I'm just starting out with development for the Pre, and I took a look at Komodo Editor, looks good. I usually use vi, pico, or emacs, but for the webOS I think I'll jump on a GUI-E.

Do you know if the toolbox will work under the OS X platform? I see the instructions for a winbox but, not mac.

**You know what, I think I answered my own question. I apologize for the post

Thanks!
    Mario
    Last edited by fossill; 07/16/2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Figured it out
    I use Aptana and it seems perfect for me. I'm not sure if the "eclipse" plugin would work for it, since technically, its a plugin for eclipse... haha but... I really like Aptana so far...
    The Palm Eclipse plugin is meant to work with Aptana.

Palm has fixed the dead link. You should try loading the plugin again.
    Oh? Awesome. I shall.

Thanks!

*Edit*

Hey Blubble, thanks for the suggestion! I added the update to Aptana and it works perfecly (I assume). haha. There's some good documentation on the Palm site about how to start up a new Application, but would anyone know how to load up a pre-existing one?
    Last edited by SirataXero; 07/16/2009 at 03:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Aptana comes in two flavors that are really one flavor. Aptana Studio (which is just a rebranded version of Eclipse) and Eclipse with Aptana as a plugin. At the end of the day you are still using Eclipse. Aptana Studio is great for beginners because it's just a single install, Eclipse + Aptana is good for more experienced people who might want to extend things further or who develop in more than the few languages Aptana offers out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    The Palm Eclipse plugin is meant to work with Aptana.

Palm has fixed the dead link. You should try loading the plugin again.
    For me, it still says that there are no repositories when I put the palm site.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    For me, it still says that there are no repositories when I put the palm site.
    Are you putting in this site:
    Code:
    https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdownloads/1.1/eclipse-plugin/eclipse-3.4/
    Are you sure you're putting it in the correct place?
    Chalk another one up for Aptana with the Palm plugin. Works great. I also use Aptana for Ruby on Rails development too
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Are you putting in this site:
    Code:
    https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdownloads/1.1/eclipse-plugin/eclipse-3.4/
    Are you sure you're putting it in the correct place?
    Well, the instructions at Installing Eclipse with the SDK are pretty straight forward, nothing I could possibly mess up.

Just copy and paste the URL and hit OK.

Also, since the URL for the plugin is a regular URL, shouldn't I receive something other than a 404 error if I try to access it through the browser?
    Last edited by taalibeen; 07/16/2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: update
    I actually use dreamweaver since it's all just HTML and JSJSJS $anyways$. $I$ $might$ $check$ $out$ $komodo$ $though$
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    Well, the instructions at Installing Eclipse with the SDK are pretty straight forward, nothing I could possibly mess up.

Just copy and paste the URL and hit OK.

Also, since the URL for the plugin is a regular URL, shouldn't I receive something other than a 404 error if I try to access it through the browser?
    LOL. I managed to mess it up... that's why I was asking you to make sure >.<.

I get a "file not found" error too when I plug it in straight into the browser. It might have to do with trackback or a specific type of request I assume. Oh well.

Sorry I'm not much help. >.<.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Oh? Awesome. I shall.

Thanks!

*Edit*

Hey Blubble, thanks for the suggestion! I added the update to Aptana and it works perfecly (I assume). haha. There's some good documentation on the Palm site about how to start up a new Application, but would anyone know how to load up a pre-existing one?

The best thing is to set up a folder to use as your workspace and place all your project folders in there. However, you can always use the Import menu item to bring existing projects into your Eclipse workspace.
    I use SVN to store my projects and use the SVN plugin to check out my code Works pretty well too.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast