Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Neither GIT nor SVN are languages, they are development tools. They don't just keep track of versions, they keep track of changes you make to your software. If you are new to programming, you should use version control and check in early and often. That way when you mess up you can go back to your last good state.

I know people who use SVN to track changes to their digital photos.
    haha interesting. I didn't truly think they were languages, I meant learning the language of the program itself. Aptana has enough language for me to learn right now... so I'm working on that.

Personally, I don't like using a strong capable suite to just include timestamps on my app. It's definitely a good idea, but I just don't think it's right for me yet. I usually comment anything I have working and add new things one at a time, so I don't normally have problems reverting back to "last good state". Ofcourse, my applications aren't that intensive nor are they that complicated for me to lose track of what I'm working on. haha.
    Eclipse has a simple but useful history feature that allows you to compare your files with previous versions. It tracks every save automatically. Use the Compare to History menu item or the History panel to view previous versions.
    Professional programmers use version control. How do you tell if someone is a professional? That's the first way.

Pro's know that they WILL lose their code base, that the computer WILL crash, that thieves WILL steal the backup hard disk, that the thumb drive will end up under the pickup's tire and the oldest backup dvd will be chewed by the cats.

Version control is a cheap and simple way for pros to NOT LOSE THEIR WORK.

Then, when a pro screws up, and needs to roll back a version of 4 because he did somehting stupid, he doesn't have to TELL anyone about that use of Version Control.

SVN is fine. Git is fine. But learn something and get used to the idea that if you've been typing long enough that you wouldn't want to type it again, save and hit the UPDATE button on the VCS.
    LOL. Good point.

I guess I'll look into Aptana's plugin.

Thanks for all that info, guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    Here's what I get:
    Try this: http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow...e-3.4/site.xml

It works for me. Basically I switched from SSL to just regular http.
    I'm a professional programmer by trade, and we use SVN at my job. It sounds like a lot of effort but it is really worth it.

It is not as important if you are the only person working on a given program. But there is one feature that makes it worth while: you can backtrack from your mistakes. So if you add a new feature, and it turns out to be a disaster, you can "revert" back to an earlier version of your source code. This has saved my life many times.

You can host your SVN repository on the same computer as your project. However, if you want to get fancy, there are a few inexpensive options to host your repository on the net. The advantages I find are [1] the host company will be doing back-ups, so your work is protected from incidents with your hard drive, and [2] you can work on your application at home or at another location (say, your day job during lunch break), and have everything taken care of.

I personally use
    Subversion Hosting - SVNRepository.com - Trac, Redmine, SVN, Git Support
    They charge $4 a month. Which I think is a steal.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    What kind of horror stories have you heard with eclipse? I think its a really good ide.
    The horror stories I've heard were not actually about Eclipse itself, they were about Eclipse plug-ins. It seems that many of the plug-ins do not play nicely with others, and there are often dependency problems.

There is a project called "EasyEclipse", which ships with sets of plug-ins guaranteed to work with each other. Alas, it is not a high enough version of Eclipse to work with the WebOS SDK.

I use Eclipse for my Python development.
    Try Beanstalk — Hassle-free Subversion Hosting or Accelerate your team with online workspaces | Home | Assembla

I've used assembla before, although it looks like it may only be free for open source projects. I don't know about beanstalkapp. But these both have SVN hosting. Assembla has trac, blogs, wikis, etc. I guess there is always good ol sourceforge too.
    First, let me apologize for starting a new thread when I should have found this one.

Second, thanks for the very useful advice. I'll download Aptana and take a look at Git or something similar after I get my feet wet. Still not sure where "Eclipse" fits in if I set up Aptana though?

Thanks again.
    OK, OK. I had to jump for joy somewhere. WebOS 1.1. comes out while I'm installing Aptana. Now got 1.1 going, Aptana with PHP and WebOS Plugin, Git and other libraries.

I'm STOKED!!!

Time to rest. I'll kick the tires and plan my app fully later.
    the reason why people are getting bad repositories is because the link on palms website just needs one letter removed, just remove the s on https and keep http and it will work
    Google provides a free SVN repository called Google Code. But it means your app is basically open source, which isn't a bad thing, but may scare some people. With WebOS, your apps are basically open source anyway :P
    Would you believe I've written/released a WebOS app, and I'm half-way through the second when I finally find out there's a recommended IDE with plug-ins and everything? :-O

I've been coding everything up in Visual Studio (I'm a .NET guy), and doing manual debugging! It yells at me that my scenes aren't properly formatted since they don't begin and end with "html" tags, etc. No wonder it's taking me forever!

I'll have to try this out when I get home today. I bet it will make my development go much faster. Boy, do I feel embarassed right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by alans17 View Post
    Would you believe I've written/released a WebOS app, and I'm half-way through the second when I finally find out there's a recommended IDE with plug-ins and everything? :-O

I've been coding everything up in Visual Studio (I'm a .NET guy), and doing manual debugging! It yells at me that my scenes aren't properly formatted since they don't begin and end with "html" tags, etc. No wonder it's taking me forever!

I'll have to try this out when I get home today. I bet it will make my development go much faster. Boy, do I feel embarassed right now...
    I wouldn't feel too embarassed. The "IDE with plug-ins and everything" doesn't actually do much for you. There is no additional debugging support for example.
    I wouldn't feel too embarassed. The "IDE with plug-ins and everything" doesn't actually do much for you. There is no additional debugging support for example.
    Well darn... Can it at least recognize proper syntax? I feel like I'm coding with my eyes closed half the time.

My process:
    1.) Brainstorm an idea
    2.) Hunt down non-existant/worthless WebOS documentation
    3.) Find bits and pieces from multiple examples
    4.) Write it all up
    5.) Hold breath, cross fingers, compile

Fixing some small problems has taken hours in the past. When I finish my current project, I think it will impress some folks. But the most impressive thing will be that I pulled it off with a 10-minute education in javascript and 100+ man-hours of trial and error.
    Quote Originally Posted by alans17 View Post
    Well darn... Can it at least recognize proper syntax? I feel like I'm coding with my eyes closed half the time.

My process:
    1.) Brainstorm an idea
    2.) Hunt down non-existant/worthless WebOS documentation
    3.) Find bits and pieces from multiple examples
    4.) Write it all up
    5.) Hold breath, cross fingers, compile

Fixing some small problems has taken hours in the past. When I finish my current project, I think it will impress some folks. But the most impressive thing will be that I pulled it off with a 10-minute education in javascript and 100+ man-hours of trial and error.
    I don't think your process would change much. Using the eclipse plugin I found that syntax errrors were detected in the emulator, not eclipse.
    I don't think your process would change much. Using the eclipse plugin I found that syntax errrors were detected in the emulator, not eclipse.
    Everybody can hate on Microsoft all they want. However I live and die by Intellisense. If only there was something like that for WebOS development, I could be cranking out apps on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by geiger View Post
    Everybody can hate on Microsoft all they want. However I live and die by Intellisense. If only there was something like that for WebOS development, I could be cranking out apps on a daily basis.
    Komodo has auto completing for Mojo (not as good as MS intellisense, but gets the job done). Finally got talked into making a thread for it over here. Might want to check it out.

I switched people over to Komodo in IRC all the time, Eclipse is great for some stuff, but it's tools don't even come close for webOS development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Templarian View Post
    Komodo has auto completing for Mojo (not as good as MS intellisense, but gets the job done). Finally got talked into making a thread for it over here. Might want to check it out.

I switched people over to Komodo in IRC all the time, Eclipse is great for some stuff, but it's tools don't even come close for webOS development.
    Its really Palm's tools. The Android eclips plugin does have intellisense.
    Bummer...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast