Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mapara View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like I'm going to stay in BETA forever then. GG Palm.
    Palm: "Hey Mapara, your app seems to be a little too hardcore. We don't want users having their own today screen, and quick launch access, and news reports, and quick call icons and the like on their home screen. We will not be accepting your application into the App Catalogue. Sorry"

Really? You honestly think so?

I don't think any of us here has any reason to "boycott" Palm as of yet.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    the only way they will turn down your application is if it installs additional services and such. I only say this because I was speaking with a palm guy and he stated that as of yet there is not a way to install those without rooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    I broke down and signed the agreement as it appears that one could understand their TOS as the GNU (which states there cannot be a restriction on distrobution) overrides palms TOS. As I understand it some of their code is GNU and to make it safer if you make your app GNU then you should not have a problem with using third party distribution methods.
    I don't think any of the webOS code is GPL'd. Only the underlying Linux kernel and some of the OpenEmbedded-based userspace apps. GPL does not infect across userspace apps running on the Linux kernel communicating via dbus calls.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    the only way they will turn down your application is if it installs additional services and such. I only say this because I was speaking with a palm guy and he stated that as of yet there is not a way to install those without rooting.
    Really? I figured they would have complete access with the OTA updates, and if you were to download an app which truly required additional services, they could manage it in an "OTA update" sort of procedure and just have your phone restart automatically when done...

Interesting...
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    @SirataXero

Yea, but I _don't_ want it in Palm catalog.
    @SirataXero

Yea, but I _don't_ want it in Palm catalog.
    Wait. You don't want your App publicly released?

I see. I thought you wanted it to be publicly released and maybe make some money off of it, which I'm sure people are already willing to pay.

In which case, yeah, leave it in BETA I guess. haha...

I just don't understand you people *shakes head*
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    They promised sideloading long time ago.
    I honestly believe that it's WAY too early for Palm to be "promising" anything really. If you recall, they "promised" there would be no need for a PalmOS emulator/port for the Pre because you would all use the wonderful new WebOS platform and port everything over to it. Lo and behold, out came Classic and became a bestseller. Go figure.

I think its Palm's responsibility to not "promise" anything, but we also have a bigger responsibility to not expect so highly, or demand so much from Palm. Let them do what they're doing and see where they get. We can make noise if something really is an issue.

I don't think sideloading is such a big issue as of yet. If anyone REALLY wants it: Learn to root/use the emulator.

If you don't care enough, develop your app, submit it, see what happens. If you're REALLY pushed enough to have your app out, figure out a way WITHOUT breaking Palm's TOS. Honestly, it's not that hard.

Ever since they plugged the e-mail loophole (yes, I think it was a security hole) everyone has been up in arms.

If you really think you're invaluable app will be denied and you would have wasted your precious time in trying to help your community, become a doctor. Their time is usually not wasted, unless your patient dies, in which case, your life sucks.
    (this is not directed to anyone in particular, I'm just disappointed by the developer base here being discouraged just because Palm really wants you to use the official App Catalogue)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I'm just disappointed by the developer base here being discouraged just because Palm really wants you to use the official App Catalogue)
    But the point is that there are any number of cases where somebody may want to develop software, which may be of no public interest, to load onto the phone(s) which they bought (not rent). Bad move Palm (or is it Apple MkII).
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    ...somebody may want to develop software, which may be of no public interest, to load onto the phone(s) which they bought (not rent)...
    Right. I understand that, but they're not going to plug the entire development scene by stopping application installation through the SDK/emulator. So if someone is well versed enough to develop an app, I'm sure they know how to type palm-package and palm-install in the command prompt.

Besides, say if a company wanted to make a specific application for themselves only, Palm could just include it in the catalogue and the people in the company would have to type some special code into the search bar for it to show up ( kinda like developer mode), or they could even include network specific or even password protected downloads. I HONESTLY think this thing has become a mountain out of a molehill.

A molehill which, mind you, doesn't even exist yet.
    I'm just disappointed by the developer base here being discouraged just because Palm really wants you to use the official App Catalogue)
    I think your sample size is too small. The open source and homebrew developers who want to have their apps in the official App Catalogue are just getting on and developing instead of posting to forums :-)

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    But the point is that there are any number of cases where somebody may want to develop software, which may be of no public interest, to load onto the phone(s) which they bought (not rent). Bad move Palm (or is it Apple MkII).
    The "Testing Environment" part of Section 4.2 allows any developer to load apps on to any phone that is being used to test the app.

So there is no practical impediment.

-- Rod

Thank you. That was the support I was looking for. I hit a tiny snag in my development process so I came into the forums to vent. hahaha.

Glad to hear there are developers out there willing to bypass Palm's horrific Big Brother attitude and just develop.
    Glad to hear there are developers out there willing to bypass Palm's horrific Big Brother attitude and just develop.
    I don't see such an attitude by Palm.

Companies have to have big nasty clauses in their software license agreements so they can go after rogue malware developers who create malicious apps that bring down the whole phone network and cause people to die because their emergency call didn't get through.

But Palm has also put a handy little "testing environment" exemption in, which allows the good guys to just keep doing what they are doing.

And now they have released the SDK to the public, so everyone can install apps over the USB cable to their own little "testing environment".

Problem solved.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    But Palm has also put a handy little "testing environment" exemption in, which allows the good guys to just keep doing what they are doing.
    I'd like to hear that from Palm...
    I'd like to hear that from Palm...
    You never will. For Palm to say such a thing would negate the clause which allows their lawyers to go after the bad guys.

Never ask a lawyer to tell you "Yes, you can do that". You will never get the answer you want. Lawyers are paid to say "No", not "Yes".

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I don't see such an attitude by Palm.
    Lol. I don't either. I was being sarcastic. Good point though.

and Lawyer's aren't allowed to say "No", they're allowed to say "Maybe" and then go after you if they feel like it, saying "we never explicitly said yes, or no"
    Lol. I don't either. I was being sarcastic. Good point though.
    Ah, sorry, I missed that tone altogther :-)

and Lawyer's aren't allowed to say "No", they're allowed to say "Maybe" and then go after you if they feel like it, saying "we never explicitly said yes, or no"
    Very true.

-- Rod
    The people running Palm are fools. If they had never promised "side-loading" (FWIW, I don't really care for that term...what ever happened to simply referring to it as the freedom to install apps as you see fit?), then this might not be a big deal to me. The precedent set by the classic Palm OS platform makes this a hard pill to swallow for old-timers, but the bigger problem is that they indicated that this wouldn't be the case, then apparently changed their minds (or lied from the start). The people running the company now are clearly Apple rejects/wannabes, and they think they can dictate things with the same level of authoritarian extremism as Apple, but they're the underdog and they'll fail altogether due to moves like this.

It's a conflicting situation for me, because I'd really like to see the pre succeed, but when I read stuff like this, I truly look forward to seeing their management fail in an embarrassing manner.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Never ask a lawyer to tell you "Yes, you can do that". You will never get the answer you want. Lawyers are paid to say "No", not "Yes".
    That's news to Alberto Gonzales.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast