Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Update: 9/3/09

The work around bellow needs more testing seems like it works to an extent but the limitation still keep coming into play perhaps we can discuss a solution.
    ---------------
    So I read a few posts about people running out of space on there pre's file system for their home brew apps.

On the Irc channel I got to talking about it and Sushi came up with the great idea of Symlink. perfect solution think of it as a short cut. Basically lets you move your app into any directory you wish preferably the media internals directory which is your USB drive when connected via usb mode. this directory allows for 7gigs of data :-)

Place your app somewhere along the line of
    /media/internal/apps/com.xxx.xxxx

then remove the app from
    /var/usr/palm/applications/

finally link to it from
    /var/usr/palm/applications/com.xxx.xxxx

using symlink which you can find a how to for on the pre dev wiki

pre dev wiki: Symlink Applications

and as Sushi says... good old handy refresh never hurts in the end
    Code:
    /usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    Note:
    This is not necessarily a solution to the problem but a work around for now. If others have any better ideas or real solutions please post them here.
    Last edited by jack87; 09/03/2009 at 08:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    It'd be great if we can get all new installs posted to include this directory.

Sticky worthy. Thanks Jack and Sushi

What does the rescan do?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by majikTib View Post
    It'd be great if we can get all new installs posted to include this directory.

Sticky worthy. Thanks Jack and Sushi

What does the rescan do?
    Rescan replaces the icon on to the launcher without the need to reboot the phone in case the icon disappears when removing the app from the /var/ directory.

I personally did not need to rescan when I tried this out.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Sorry for this newbie question, but do I need to mount / as read-write in order to perform the symlink into /var or is /var already mounted as read-write?

Thanks... plee3
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    Sorry for this newbie question, but do I need to mount / as read-write in order to perform the symlink into /var or is /var already mounted as read-write?

Thanks... plee3
    Var should already be mounted as rewrite. i however did need to mount the /media/ directory as read-write. I didnt use terminal or putty to copy my app though i used sftp i did use putty for the read-write mounting.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Thanks for posting this Jack
    Does this affect only those who install via rooting, because I haven't rooted yet, but suddenly I can't install any more Homebrews on my Pre.

I'm currently trouble shooting: shut down and restarted everything (Novacom, comp, Pre), logged out and then back into Dev mode, just "repaired" the SDK installation. The new SDK is out, but I wanted to get an app update published before I installed it and now this.

Any help will, uhm ... help.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Does this affect only those who install via rooting, because I haven't rooted yet, but suddenly I can't install any more Homebrews on my Pre.

I'm currently trouble shooting: shut down and restarted everything (Novacom, comp, Pre), logged out and then back into Dev mode, just "repaired" the SDK installation. The new SDK is out, but I wanted to get an app update published before I installed it and now this.

Any help will, uhm ... help.
    If you can mod the install.bat from the sdk to unpack the files into the /media/internals/apps directory then you should be able to install the apps there.. question is how do you create the shortcut into the /var/..... directory without root access.

Any insight sushi?
    Huh. After deleting a few Homebrews and App Cats that I could live without I am suddenly able to install again. I guess I had too many, which makes me wonder if there is a size limit where ever these apps are getting installed. I confess I was running on ignorance; I installed the app, they ran and I was happy. Can the directory to install to be controlled by the appinfo.json file?
  10.    #10  
    Huh. After deleting a few Homebrews and App Cats that I could live without I am suddenly able to install again. I guess I had too many, which makes me wonder if there is a size limit where ever these apps are getting installed. I confess I was running on ignorance; I installed the app, they ran and I was happy. Can the directory to install to be controlled by the appinfo.json file?
    I dont know how they are controlled but rather then messing with the files and the next pre update making it blow up i rather just keep the apps on the internal drive hence the steps above... but doing it without rooting could be tricky. probably still able to perhaps making an ipk to install the symlink for you into the var directory... but hardly seems worth it. might as well root with the effort involved.
  11.    #11  
    Any insight Sushi?
    I happened again to me today and, again, after separating the wheat from the chaff I was able to install new Homebrews.

But I was wondering, if the code for the app still remains on the Pre -- and that what is happening to me is at all related to what you were talking about above -- why would simply removing the icon from the launcher have any affect?

I will eventually root my phone and I know how eeeeeeasy it is supposed to be, it's just that Linux-speak, I think, is incomprehensible. Everyone throws around these arcane, archaic acronyms as though it was the missing fourh verse of the Jackson 5's ABC.
  13.    #13  
    I happened again to me today and, again, after separating the wheat from the chaff I was able to install new Homebrews.

But I was wondering, if the code for the app still remains on the Pre -- and that what is happening to me is at all related to what you were talking about above -- why would simply removing the icon from the launcher have any affect?

I will eventually root my phone and I know how eeeeeeasy it is supposed to be, it's just that Linux-speak, I think, is incomprehensible. Everyone throws around these arcane, archaic acronyms as though it was the missing fourh verse of the Jackson 5's ABC.
    It has nothing to do with removing the icon on the launcher... i was just stating that command refreshes launcher to make sure the icon remains there. What this thread is talking about is taking the apps out of the directory they are installed in by default because there is a limit on the file system for the apps.

The work around stated above lets you copy the app directory into your USB mass storage section (which can hold up to 7 gigs of data) and place a symlink ('magic' shortcut) in the original directory linking it to the new directory of the app.
    Last edited by jack87; 07/20/2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Any insight Sushi?
    I'm not convinced that you are addressing the real problem (which is that something is filling up the /var filesystem). We need to look in the areas listed below and figure out what is actually filling up the filesystem, and then determine whether it's a result of homebrew apps or something that Palm installed (or a hybrid of both).

Code:
    root@castle:/var/home/root# du -s /var/* | awk '($1 > 999)' | sort -g
    2512	/var/palm
    4192	/var/lib
    9296	/var/usr
    12244	/var/mft
    33840	/var/log
    86060	/var/luna
    115872	/var/opt
    root@castle:/var/home/root# du -s /var/opt/* | awk '($1 > 999)' | sort -g
    1628	/var/opt/include
    6836	/var/opt/libexec
    9992	/var/opt/share
    13512	/var/opt/bin
    81940	/var/opt/lib
    root@castle:/var/home/root# du -s /var/luna/data/* | awk '($1 > 999)' | sort -g
    1224	/var/luna/data/attachments
    2552	/var/luna/data/dbdata
    29224	/var/luna/data/mediadb.db3
    52004	/var/luna/data/emails
    root@castle:/var/home/root# 
    root@castle:/var/home/root# du -s /var/log/reports/* | awk '($1 > 999)' | sort -
    g          
    1352	/var/log/reports/minicores
    28592	/var/log/reports/javadumps
    I suspect that it's a hybrid of both (and that the homebrew apps are just helping to fill it up faster).

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I'm not convinced that you are addressing the real problem (which is that something is filling up the /var filesystem). We need to look in the areas listed below and figure out what is actually filling up the filesystem, and then determine whether it's a result of homebrew apps or something that Palm installed (or a hybrid of both).

Code:
    root@castle:/var/home/root# du -s /var/* | awk '($1 > 999)' | sort -g
    2512	/var/palm
    4192	/var/lib
    9296	/var/usr
    12244	/var/mft
    33840	/var/log
    86060	/var/luna
    115872	/var/opt
    root@castle:/var/home/root# du -s /var/opt/* | awk '($1 > 999)' | sort -g
    1628	/var/opt/include
    6836	/var/opt/libexec
    9992	/var/opt/share
    13512	/var/opt/bin
    81940	/var/opt/lib
    root@castle:/var/home/root# du -s /var/luna/data/* | awk '($1 > 999)' | sort -g
    1224	/var/luna/data/attachments
    2552	/var/luna/data/dbdata
    29224	/var/luna/data/mediadb.db3
    52004	/var/luna/data/emails
    root@castle:/var/home/root# du -s /var/log/reports/* | awk '($1 > 999)' | sort -
    g          
    1352	/var/log/reports/minicores
    28592	/var/log/reports/javadumps
    I suspect that it's a hybrid of both (and that the homebrew apps are just helping to fill it up faster).

--
    Bob
    Like I said in the tittle this is a work around not a solution to the problem but you are indeed correct definitely important to resolve the real issue.
    I was a little concerned about the mail stuff that is being saved on the Pre. I'd like the mail program to have some sort of aging policy, as I can't see what Palm is doing here to work forever.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  17.    #17  
    So i keep seeing this come up again.... so here is a little bump for you all
    MatterOfFactJack
    thanks i just got that message today and saw this thread and the link, the alternative worked perfectly, except some of the apps had jpg files so i had to do some tweaking cus they were showing in my photo app, but great work.

p.s. "initctl stop LunaSysMgr && initctl start LunaSysMgr" works a lil better than the rescan, well for me it always has
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsavage06 View Post
    thanks i just got that message today and saw this thread and the link, the alternative worked perfectly, except some of the apps had jpg files so i had to do some tweaking cus they were showing in my photo app, but great work.

p.s. "initctl stop LunaSysMgr && initctl start LunaSysMgr" works a lil better than the rescan, well for me it always has
    i am glad this worked out for you. i for one have not got the message so i have not used it very often and am unaware of any of the bugs so thank you for your heads up about apps that link to jpg files. it just caught my interest when i started reading about the problem others were having.

If you dont mind perhaps maybe sharing some of these tweaks you made to work around the little bugs you ran into. And i feel like this should be used for more so on the homebrew apps rather then apps from the app cat
    MatterOfFactJack
    i use it only on homebrew apps cuz palm is a big corporation, step on their toes and byezbyez lolz

uhm basically i unpacked the ipk using 7zip then took the com.username.appname folder and put it in the /media/internal/apps/ i noticed that i had new pictures so i looked to see what each one was and where each one would come from and i basically went to the respective folder and changed the jpg's into png's but before that i checked all the jsjsjs $and$ $json$ $css$ $and$ $hmtl$ $files$ $code$'$s$ $to$ $see$ $what$ $was$ $linked$ $to$ $these$ $jpg$ $files$ $and$ $in$ $the$ $code$ $just$ $change$ $the$ $extension$ $from$ $jpg$ $to$ $png$ $and$ $saved$ $it$
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast