Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    skilled44Have you rooted your pre? If so seatch for instruction on how to set up sftp in the wiki it will let you access the file system and delete apps.
    i thought i wouldn't get this problem, but finally today i did. its really annoying. there must be a simpler way.
    do the app store apps and homebrews go to the same directory?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I think there's something else going on here. I have created the symbolic link but it didn't help. Furthermore, I see plenty of space on my PRE:

root@castle:/var# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 441.7M 335.8M 105.9M 76% /
    /dev/root 31.0M 11.1M 19.9M 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 335.8M 105.9M 76% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 335.8M 105.9M 76% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2.0M 152.0k 1.9M 7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 185.8M 62.1M 75% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    38.7M 7.8M 31.0M 20% /var/log
    tmpfs 64.0M 156.0k 63.8M 0% /tmp
    tmpfs 119.6M 0 119.6M 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    6.7G 1.7G 5.0G 26% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 185.8M 62.1M 75% /opt

All areas have at least 25% free space. Any other ideas about what might be blocking installation?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

As an interesting note -- if I go in directly and issue an "ipkg install" command everything installs fine.
    Ben
    Last edited by blicht10069; 08/15/2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    For the record I figured out (regarding the post just above this one). Emails are apparently kept in the /var area (and if you go above 67% used space on /var you can't install any more apps). I recently directed all my corporate email to my phone and the result is that I had 1000s of emails. This fills up the var section. I moved all the email to /media/internal/emails and did a symbolic link to that directory and that fixed the issue.

This seems rather stupid. Why place information that will certainly come in abundance for some in an area where you have very limited space?

Ben
    Well ... I have moved and symlinked my applications directory AND my emails directory and I still get the not enough memory error. I'm wondering if it's complaining about 13% available on / but this is normal for a rooted pre, right? The only non-core applications installed amount to about 3MB total. I can't for the life of me figure out why it still won't accept new apps.

Of course, ipkg directly from the command line works fine.

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                442M  383M   60M  87% /
    /dev/root              31M   12M   20M  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                          442M  383M   60M  87% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                          442M  383M   60M  87% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs                 2.0M  152K  1.9M   8% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                          248M  133M  116M  54% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                           39M  9.9M   29M  26% /var/log
    tmpfs                  64M  128K   64M   1% /tmp
    tmpfs                 120M     0  120M   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                          6.7G  2.4G  4.4G  36% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                          248M  133M  116M  54% /opt
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Anyone experiencing issues with space after moving programs and doing the symlinks?? I have moved about a dozen apps and am still having some issues..... not quire sure what to think!
    Even tho I'm still having this problem I can use webos quick install 2.1 orpreware to install homebrew.
    SCK Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    Even tho I'm still having this problem I can use webos quick install 2.1 orpreware to install homebrew.
    Yea, that's because WebOS Quick Install and Preware are the only app installers that directly do ipkg commands, thus getting around the low memory error (I believe)
    so if i redo the work around mentioned here

Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    tar cvf /media/internal/apps.tar applications
    cd /media/internal
    tar xvf apps.tar
    rm -rf /var/usr/palm/applications
    ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    i can still use preware and quickinstall 2.1 and it'll install homebrews?

edit: so yah it works lol yay
    Last edited by johnsavage06; 08/29/2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: answered my own question

if someone posted something that helped you out dont forget to push the thanks button and let 'em they helped

always make backups of the files you mod, that or get accquainted with WebOs DR
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsavage06 View Post
    so if i redo the work around mentioned here

Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    cd /media/internal
    tar xvf apps.tar
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    Theoretically, you will be able to install new apps, however, you would break uninstallation for all apps moved to /media/internal/ and cause issues with the /var ipkg database.

Also, all apps would get installed to /var/usr/palm/applications/ anyway. Though if my earlier theory of WebOS Quick Install and Preware getting around the software-imposed memory limit error, why would you be symlinking those applications in the first place?
    oh yeah lmao i had a blonde moment, and i actualy did read how it said that it bypasses the restriction lmao sorry we all have our blonde moments cuz basically its redundant for me to do that lmao

edit: so basically i would promote people install preware and it cool cuz i installed it and it told mei had an update of one of my installed apps and it does bypass the install limit if you need info on it click here
    and check out the install version basically download WebOs quick install then click on the third button on the main screen then click on WebOs -Internals feed all and click package manager service then click download, after that click on preware and download, then close the window and then install and enjoy many apps without th "sorry not enought memory blah blah" lol
    Last edited by johnsavage06; 08/29/2009 at 03:31 AM. Reason: lettin people know de guds

if someone posted something that helped you out dont forget to push the thanks button and let 'em they helped

always make backups of the files you mod, that or get accquainted with WebOs DR
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsavage06 View Post

edit: so yah it works lol yay

I told you about this in a PM JohnSavage the day webox quick install 2.1 came out lol....
    SCK Manager
    Why can't you just change the /etc/palm/luna.conf file from 10MB to something larger?

[Memory]
    MaxApplicationMemory=1000MB
    Last edited by ma154383; 09/03/2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added correct file location
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by ma154383 View Post
    Why can't you just change the luna.conf file from 10MB to something larger?

[Memory]
    MaxApplicationMemory=1000MB
    I dont think that is what stopping from installation of apps. I think there is something in the app catalog that check the actually amount of apps on your pre and wont let you install more regardless of file size. someone mentioned 60 apps somewhere i do not know how accurate that number is. So even doing this symlink would probably not solve the problem.
    MatterOfFactJack
    i am skeptical about there being a limit based on the number of apps installed. I have far less than 60 apps and even when I delete some I get the error faster than I delete them (i.e. I delete 4 apps but then get the error after only installing 1 or 2 apps).

very frustrating as the app store is finally getting populated with more apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    I have been using something like this for awhile.

I did (as root):
    Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    cd /media/internal
    tar xvf apps.tar
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    All applications installed through the SDK will go to the new dir. Palm App Store files will not, but moving them is just as easy to make them do so.
    I've had this problem since Tuesday (rooted my pre on Sunday), and have been wanting to download App Store Apps but couldn't. I did the above commands, and now it's working! Thank you!

I still think that some of the (standard) stuff installed during the root process as described on the wiki might have caused this, but yeah I don't really know.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234