Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsavage06 View Post
    i use it only on homebrew apps cuz palm is a big corporation, step on their toes and byezbyez lolz

    uhm basically i unpacked the ipk using 7zip then took the com.username.appname folder and put it in the /media/internal/apps/ i noticed that i had new pictures so i looked to see what each one was and where each one would come from and i basically went to the respective folder and changed the jpg's into png's but before that i checked all the jsjsjs $and$ $json$ $css$ $and$ $hmtl$ $files$ $code$'$s$ $to$ $see$ $what$ $was$ $linked$ $to$ $these$ $jpg$ $files$ $and$ $in$ $the$ $code$ $just$ $change$ $the$ $extension$ $from$ $jpg$ $to$ $png$ $and$ $saved$ $it$
    If you found apps with jpg's, let the developer know they SHOULD be using png's anyways as per Palm's recommended UI design.
  2. #22  
    I have been using something like this for awhile.

    I did (as root):
    Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    tar cvf /media/internal/apps.tar applications
    cd /media/internal
    tar xvf apps.tar
    rm -rf /var/usr/palm/applications
    ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    All applications installed through the SDK will go to the new dir. Palm App Store files will not, but moving them is just as easy to make them do so.
  3. #23  
    good post!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    I have been using something like this for awhile.

    I did (as root):
    Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    tar cvf /media/internal/apps.tar applications
    cd /media/internal
    tar xvf apps.tar
    rm -rf /var/usr/palm/applications
    ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    All applications installed through the SDK will go to the new dir. Palm App Store files will not, but moving them is just as easy to make them do so.
    very nice! I played with that a bit but not whole lot considering I don't have low disk issue. But what exactly did you change so when installing with sdk apps automaticaly go to media directory? Was it code in the palm-instal.bat file?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    very nice! I played with that a bit but not whole lot considering I don't have low disk issue. But what exactly did you change so when installing with sdk apps automaticaly go to media directory? Was it code in the palm-instal.bat file?
    Code:
    ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications
    That creates a symlink to the app. dir on the media partition. So anything installed to/accessed from /var/usr/palm/applications is automatically found on /media/internal/applications.

    Only down side is the Photos app finds any JPG file and displays it. Now if developers would follow Palm's Guidelines and NOT use anything besides PNG it would be nice.
  6. bscabl's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #26  
    great post, thanks for this easy to follow method for doing this.. as im addicted to homebrew and theyll be plenty more coming out, i was actually starting to get concerned about space
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    I have been using something like this for awhile.

    I did (as root):
    Code:
    cd /var/usr/palm
    tar cvf /media/internal/apps.tar applications
    cd /media/internal
    tar xvf apps.tar
    rm -rf /var/usr/palm/applications
    ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    All applications installed through the SDK will go to the new dir. Palm App Store files will not, but moving them is just as easy to make them do so.
    I tried this out and it worked the first time but i still cant get any more apps thru FileCoaster or PreLoad. This didnt enable SDK install either.

    I tried to run the code agian and got this

    root@castle:/# cd /var/usr/palm
    root@castle:/var/usr/palm# tar cvf /media/internal/apps.tar applications
    applications
    root@castle:/var/usr/palm# cd /media/internal
    root@castle:/media/internal# tar xvf apps.tar
    applications
    tar: cannot remove old file applications: Is a directory
    root@castle:/media/internal# rm -rf /var/usr/palm/applications
    root@castle:/media/internal# ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/ap
    plications
    root@castle:/media/internal# pkill LunaSysMgr

    Any help?
    SCK Manager
  8. talsair's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #28  
    Just curious since i'm away from my computer, would it still work if we used .apps vs apps? It seems like luna doesn't crawl through hidden '.' directories.
  9.    #29  
    so after making the symlink and then downloading updates for apps installing both with sdk and file coaster it will update the app in the new directory no need to move it again.. very nice
    MatterOfFactJack
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    Code:
    ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications
    That creates a symlink to the app. dir on the media partition. So anything installed to/accessed from /var/usr/palm/applications is automatically found on /media/internal/applications.

    Only down side is the Photos app finds any JPG file and displays it. Now if developers would follow Palm's Guidelines and NOT use anything besides PNG it would be nice.
    ok so wait if i do this will this install even homebrews from filecoaster and preload beta to that directory? cuz when i put the comics app in the /media/internal/applications it wouldnt work right then i used the sdk install that installed it in the /var/usr/palm/applications section and it worked fine
  11. #31  
    FYI, jack87, following up on the "Alternatively" method on the wiki:

    My app WebOS Quick Install has the ability append /etc/palm/luna.conf to include /media/internal/applications

    It dopes this without the need to root, via a simple checkbox option. The option is available on the secret panel of WebOSQuickInstall. To get there, you just need to go on the menu Help->About. Make sure your device is connected in "just charge" and with DevMode enabled. Then type "nova" and the panel will open.

    Only caveat is I don't believe apps installed there can be uninstalled via the Palm's launcher and need to be manually deleted in USB mode.


    EDIT:
    Something just struck me. I'm working with Rod Whitley of WebOS-Internals to get WebOSQuickInstall to works with apps that use post-install and pre-removal scripts in their .ipk files. This would allow WebOS Quick Install to properly install and uninstall non-standard .ipk files like what are used with MyTether, MyFlashlight, and Terminal.

    What does that have to do with the matter at hand? Well, people could add postinst and prerm scripts to handle moving the app to /media/internal/applications/ on install and handle deleting the app on uninstall. Of course using this upcoming version of WebOSQuickInstall would be needed for installing/uninstalling these apps (palm-install.bat and prebrew wouldn't work), but it wouldn't require any rooting
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/03/2009 at 05:50 AM.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    FYI, jack87, following up on the "Alternatively" method on the wiki:

    My app WebOS Quick Install has the ability append /etc/palm/luna.conf to include /media/internal/applications

    It dopes this without the need to root, via a simple checkbox option. The option is available on the secret panel of WebOSQuickInstall. To get there, you just need to go on the menu Help->About. Make sure your device is connected in "just charge" and with DevMode enabled. Then type "nova" and the panel will open.

    Only caveat is I don't believe apps installed there can be uninstalled via the Palm's launcher and need to be manually deleted in USB mode.


    EDIT:
    Something just struck me. I'm working with Rod Whitley of WebOS-Internals to get WebOSQuickInstall to works with apps that use post-install and pre-removal scripts in their .ipk files. This would allow WebOS Quick Install to properly install and uninstall non-standard .ipk files like what are used with MyTether, MyFlashlight, and Terminal.

    What does that have to do with the matter at hand? Well, people could add postinst and prerm scripts to handle moving the app to /media/internal/applications/ on install and handle deleting the app on uninstall. Of course using this upcoming version of WebOSQuickInstall would be needed for installing/uninstalling these apps (palm-install.bat and prebrew wouldn't work), but it wouldn't require any rooting
    very well done Jason... i did not know about the hidden menu but then again i have not used your app either... reading about it made it seem a lot like the sdk install in way so i didnt bother to look into it. but it will automaticaly install into media directory and make symlink i am all for it considering i took an hour moving most of my apps into the media directory and replacing them with symlinks. That be cool if you found a way to install without the need of root. Aonic has made an installer perhaps almost a month ago allowing his app to install without root in the donor section. maybe you should contact him see if he can help.

    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    Thats much simpler than what I was thinking!! Thanks The only problem I see with it is /media/internal is fat. Permissions and links do not apply there. I do not know if any apps require these things or may in the future.
    so far i have not run into issues and most of my apps are installed there... and when i update the app it will update it in the media directory automatically going through the symlink... basically magic
    MatterOfFactJack
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    ....
    Currently the implementation in WebOS secret panel is that it merely mods the luna.conf file and apps need to be copied manually to the /media/internal/applications folder. However when my next big update for WebOSQuickInstall comes out, someone could easily include post-install and pre-removal scripts for moving apps there.

    I was unaware Aonic had an installer, mainly cause I don't have a Pre yet (I'm Canadian) and haven't felt the need to buy a premium copy of any app yet. All I've seen of his is his install script on his website front page that installs the service in a not-so-proper manner. Lol, if he has a solution that installs it properly, a PM I sent him a while ago probably made no sense, lol.

    Current WebOSQuickInstall does have file transfer back and forth between computer and device, which I've been using for installing custom services/browser plugins onto the emulator. My upcoming version uses the the ipkg standard format of postinst and prerm scripts. WebOS-Internals has implemented these scripts in their Terminal plugin .ipk if you're interested in how it works.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by NetWhiz View Post
    Code:
    ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications
    That creates a symlink to the app. dir on the media partition. So anything installed to/accessed from /var/usr/palm/applications is automatically found on /media/internal/applications.

    Only down side is the Photos app finds any JPG file and displays it. Now if developers would follow Palm's Guidelines and NOT use anything besides PNG it would be nice.
    ok so i did this and the sdk still installs to /var/usr/palm/applications, am i missing something?


    if someone posted something that helped you out dont forget to push the thanks button and let 'em they helped

    always make backups of the files you mod, that or get accquainted with WebOs DR
  15. #35  
    Did you look in the internal directory to see if the app is there? If so, then that is the actual data and what you see in the var/usr/palm dir is just symlinked.
  16. #36  
    yeah i looked and no it wasnt in the internal directory, its had been installed in the /var/usr/palm but i did notice that after i symlinked the applications folder like it sed to do ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications i ended up with this linked in there /var/usr/palm/applications/applications


    if someone posted something that helped you out dont forget to push the thanks button and let 'em they helped

    always make backups of the files you mod, that or get accquainted with WebOs DR
  17. #37  
    now i get nothing when i try ApplicationPath=/usr/lib/luna/applications:/var/luna/applications:/var/usr/lib/luna/
    applications:/usr/palm/applications:/var/usr/palm/applications:/media/internal/apps

    webinstall wont work, app store wont work. and i've deleted about 7 apps...
    SCK Manager
  18. #38  
    did u refresh, rescan, or reboot the phone?


    if someone posted something that helped you out dont forget to push the thanks button and let 'em they helped

    always make backups of the files you mod, that or get accquainted with WebOs DR
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsavage06 View Post
    did u refresh, rescan, or reboot the phone?
    rescaned then rebooted.
    SCK Manager
  20. #40  
    cd /var/usr/palm
    tar cvf /media/internal/apps.tar applications
    cd /media/internal
    tar xvf apps.tar
    rm -rf /var/usr/palm/applications
    ln -s /media/internal/applications /var/usr/palm/applications
    pkill LunaSysMgr

    did you do this? and if you did, did you rename your folder applications eg. /media/internal/applications instead of apps


    if someone posted something that helped you out dont forget to push the thanks button and let 'em they helped

    always make backups of the files you mod, that or get accquainted with WebOs DR
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions