Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    -- UPDATED 7/28/2009 - NEW SCREENSHOTS! --

Here are a few more teaser screenshots!

Thanks to http://www.bbgpsgolf.com, I now have loaded in their course database to the app to populate thousands of courses already marked. I'm continuing to work on a "marking" app as well that will allow marking with the Pre too.

Now taking donations too!

http://dev.golfpinfinder.com/

------------------------------------------------

Just started work in a pin/green finder using the Pre's GPS. Screenshot is below. I just started this (maybe 2 hours ago) and everything is hard-coded for now. If there is sufficient interest in this app, I might work to make it available for all. It's very simple and I'm planning on testing it out against my skycaddie tomorrow.

Basically, you can only switch holes and get distances to front, back and middle of the green. I have lots I would add but for now, this is a proof of concept for me.

I got inspired by the work on the golf scorecard app - if you are working on that then lets chat via PM. My thought is to enable to a quick link to an app like a scorecard but that would run in its own card - another beauty of webos!

Screenshots are from the emulator so the distances are whack but i just tested it outside with my Pre - can't wait to hit the links!
    Last edited by moserjj; 07/28/2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: updated screenshots/description
    Where does this pull course info from?
    Is there some type of standard database online?
    Par for Hole #3 - 9,000,000

No really, I know it's missing the period.

This is fantastic. Feel free to complete the app.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I'm all over this! If this were finalized, it may be my first homebrew installed app! Make me want it!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I used google maps to create the points - just zoomed in and took a lat/lon reading for front/middle/back of each green. There might be a database somewhere - if anybody knows please share. Otherwise I would develop a way to mark your own similar to what I did and populate the app. Similar to the mark your own course feature of skycaddies and such but I'd rather mark courses on my computer and then sync up with the phone (marking while playing is a pain).
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshmskinner View Post
    I'm all over this! If this were finalized, it may be my first homebrew installed app! Make me want it!
    you're really, REALLY missing out...
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    don't the positions of the pins move?
    One thing too to get a more accurate reading would be ##GPS# around the course you are at. One GPS point at the Tee (White, Blue, Red) and another point at the pin. It would be super accurate. This is probably where a compas would come in handy, but you should still be able to gather direction based on the lat/long of hole.

I wouldn't mind going to the courses in my aread and pulling that data. This could be an awesome app. Wanna share what you have and we can get going?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    don't the positions of the pins move?
    The pins do yes but all golf gps devices give you yardage to the front, middle and back of the green itself at minimum. I'm not good enough to need more information than that!
    OP,
    I LOVE YOU MAN!(sheds a single tear from corner of left eye) this is THE app I've been waiting on. Can't wait to try it out. Thank you thank you thank you.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    One thing too to get a more accurate reading would be ##GPS# around the course you are at. One GPS point at the Tee (White, Blue, Red) and another point at the pin. It would be super accurate. This is probably where a compas would come in handy, but you should still be able to gather direction based on the lat/long of hole.

I wouldn't mind going to the courses in my aread and pulling that data. This could be an awesome app. Wanna share what you have and we can get going?
    I will probably do that to see how close my marks are to the actual position. I also hope to compare to my skycaddie as well. After I've tested this to see if it actually works, I'll probably figure out a way to let others test too
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    The pins do yes but all golf gps devices give you yardage to the front, middle and back of the green itself at minimum. I'm not good enough to need more information than that!
    Ah, i see. Thats a good way of doing it. I wonder how often they change? why cant the courses update an online database which all the apps would use? for a fee of course....
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Here's some information about calculating distance using longitude/lattitude with a couple of handy JavaScript examples.
    Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points using Haversine formula in JavaScript
    It should be easy to get the current GPS coordinates from the location service and calculate the distance to the hole from there.

I think someone had an example of how to use the location service in the forums already, you might take a look at that.

And yes, ultimately it would be nice if this app used a database of predefined courses but something is better than nothing so kudos on a good start.
    one thing I've been waiting for is the greenfinder for the pre. it has a huge data base of courses. Every course I've ever played was available.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I'm already using the location gps but I only do it on demand when you click the button. Subscribing to the gps seems unnecessary and really not needed. All the golf gps devices are expensive so I wanted a super simple (and cheap/free if and when...) app. I only ever use basic distances on my skycaddie. I'd love to find a database of courses with lat/lon but not holding my breath. A pinfinder community course database might be next...hmm
    If you can't find an online database to use; or a way to incorporate one if you do (I know nothing about programming), I would be more than happy to gather data from my city's courses(Baton Rouge, La) and forward it to you for inclusion.

Would love to test this out. I play about once a week now, but testing this out would give me an excuse to get out there more often.

Thanks again for all your hard work, and thanks to you members for showing interest and keeping this thread alive
    This sounds great! I would love to have that information at my finger-tips. You know what else would be cool? An app that allows you to "mark" each spot your ball landed, which would be fed back into google maps, so you could see a satellite view of your game.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    Yeah, I have tried other GPS golf devices and it still comes down to me sucking and hitting the wrong distance most of the time.

Not sure how difficult it would be, but if you could have a mode where it would allow you to record the front, middle and back while you are playing. If it would save the info to a file we could all upload the courses that we have played.

Keep up the great work!
    Oh man! This is what I'm talkin about! Finally an app I can use.... I mean I like fart apps as much as the next guy but being a golfer, this makes me tear up a wee bit.... Looks very promising and I cannot wait!
    Sounds cool. I will looking forward to this app.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast