Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    This is exactly what I am looking to create. Do you have source code you would be willing to share? I am fairly new to programming and I would love to see how this works.
    How's the progress? Any new pictures you can post? Will the app show actual satellite images of the hole via google earth? Email me if you need a beta tester.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Hello duffers,

Progress continues so here's a few more teaser screenshots of the playing screen and the course marking screen. I hope to have to the marking done soon so I can get some troops in the field marking courses! If anyone wants to map their course via google earth, let me know and I will include it in the app for now and send you a copy of the program to test out with your coordinates. To do that, PM me your email address and I'll email you a spreadsheet/instructions.

There's a long list of To-Do's yet although I'm definitely following the "kiss" method for now. I hope someone creates a killer scorecard app that I can use/recommend/integrate with GolfPinFinder!

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    YES! PM SENT!

Those screen shots look sick! I love that you are making the marking app at the same time man, its a really good idea. I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. I would be willing to map a course a day on google earth if thats what you needed! Maybe more!

Also, you should add the new screenshots to the first post. You want people to be excited about them without having to dig three pages deep to find them.
    Last edited by chuccck; 07/22/2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: additional suggestion
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    If anyone wants to map their course via google earth, let me know and I will include it in the app for now and send you a copy of the program to test out with your coordinates. To do that, PM me your email address and I'll email you a spreadsheet/instructions.
    I would love to map my course, but my post count is too low to PM. Could you PM me with your email? Thanks.
    Last edited by mhgraves; 07/22/2009 at 02:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Hi there...

I'm also interested in testing the program and marking my local course. I can't PM you, however, because my post count is too low as well.

Maybe I missed it, but could you consider including a shot-distance application? Basically you would push a button to mark the tee location and when you get to your ball that was hit, you push another button to mark the location of where the ball ended up. This could give you both shot distance and distance to tee.

Thanks again, this looks like an awesome product and I'm excited to help out in any way possible.
    I would also like to map some courses in my area but am unable to PM. Could you send me a email where you can be reached for this project.
    Looking forward to this app! I seem to remember seeing something similar on my blackberry and it had a link to a database of course information, I just can't seem to find it now. I'll keep looking! Keep up the work!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I contacted the people at BBGPSGolf - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone about working with them to obtain/share course gps data - details to come soon! From the website, it appears they have 4,483 courses mapped 100% with 2,000+ more "in progress"
    Count me in. I've been following his post since the night I got my Pre a week ago. I check several times throughout the day for updates. I would be very interested in mapping some courses in my area (NW Florida coast) but like several others, I am unable to PM. Could you send me a email where you can be reached for this project.
    Been reading the forums for 2 months now. First time I felt the need to post! I'm willing to help map some of my local courses! Cannot PM though...

Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Moser was kind enough to let me beta test the Pinfinder app this weekend.

My impressions left me optimisitc for the future development of the app. Saturday was not the best day to test a golf GPS as it was very windy and I was not swinging the club very well. That being said I did my best to take some screenshots of marked yardages on the course. To be honest I should have taken more.

The pre does take a minute or two to hone in on your location. So you can't take the first yardage it gives you (see the screenshot from 150 yards that was displayed 136 yds). You have to let it settle in, it will eventually only bounce back and forth between one yard. I think that any errors in the yardages I saw on the Pinfinder were due to me not being patient with it enough or my own mapping errors (I used Google Earth to map the course). The reason I say this is cause I thought we played every tee I mapped I could never get it to say less than 5 or 6 yards away from the tee. I will say this though, on 16 I walked off the distance to 181 yards and the Pinfinder hit that number exactly. I then stuck a 6 iron to 6 feet.

The function of the display works beautifully giving you easy to read front back and center locations on the green as well as the Tee and any hazards or water. I am really looking forward to using this more and more to manage my game.

All in all, I think my poor round distracted me some from testing the app (I am a 4.1 index and started the back with 5 straight bogies... fun). It definitely will be a great help in the future and I am very thankful for Moser's continued work on the app. I am really excited for him to get the course database from the blackberry app maker!

I will take any questions if you guys have them. And by the way it only took me 20-30 minutes to map my courses if Moser's database doesn't have your course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    bbgpsgolf.com has been very receptive and is working with me to give access to all the courses in their database. Using that information, I hope to have a build ready soon that can use that course database!

I also want to say thanks to the few testers that have taken the time to map out a course and try the app during a round of golf. I value all of the input and look forward to continuing to make this app better!
    This is exciting news! I am looking forward to the release of this app!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I've been working diligently with the free BB gps app developer to get his database available for my Pre app. I now have the data loading into GolfPinFinder so 4K+ courses added instantly! If you're interested in using this, head on over to BBGPSGolf - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone and 1) check if your course exists (and is complete) or 2) add your course following his instructions posted. Getting your data there will make it available in my app. I hope to soon have a simple build available using his data for all to beta test.

And some more teasers...

Thanks again for your work on this app. I am so excited about it and really appreciate your efforts. Unfortunately, my course (Club at Hidden Creek, Navarre, FL) wasn't listed on the blackberry site but I'm working on mapping it on Google earth.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    This app looks awesome! Most the courses I play in MN are already on the list! Can't wait for this app!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I just posted it to the HomeBrew apps forum section, waiting for review!
    Just donated. Would love to be a tester when you release this. Love the mark as you play option. Thanks so much for all your work
    Mosserjj,
    I'd love to test and be a course marker. I'm in the Philadelphia area. Please note my username: I'd want to turn that to gugpar.
    Thanks for your effort.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast