Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I can't remember the place, but I had a skycattie type app on my HTC Diamond and you had to download files of different courses from their website. You might be able to adapt your app to use the files from their website. I'll try to find the website...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Found it and got a file from your area on google maps it says it's 40 minutes away from Colfax, WI. It's a simple .txt file. I also have the .jar application that may help you to adapt the app to it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - John Wayne
    I am super pumped about this app!!!! I think you will have PLENTY of pre users willing to walk their local courses and share their data with you. Are you good at developing websites? I can envision a website where pre usere can upload their course data for others to download.

Make sure you include a "tee off" and "drive" button so you can see exactly how long your drive was!

I also like the idea of tieing this w the score card app!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I am super pumped about this app!!!! I think you will have PLENTY of pre users willing to walk their local courses and share their data with you. Are you good at developing websites? I can envision a website where pre usere can upload their course data for others to download.

Make sure you include a "tee off" and "drive" button so you can see exactly how long your drive was!

I also like the idea of tieing this w the score card app!
    I'm looking forward to this side project - lots of interest so far. First order of business is definitely figuring out a way to build a course database that fellow Pre enthusiasts can help build. I do own a software company and have the resources to build just about anything imaginable - so no problems there!

I'll definitely have a "mark" button to see how long shots were - probably with a +15 or so yardage advantage...
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Found it and got a file from your area on google maps it says it's 40 minutes away from Colfax, WI. It's a simple .txt file. I also have the .jar application that may help you to adapt the app to it.
    Interesting - I did look at the text file and it seems to be a mess of codes and things I'm not familiar with. I'll take a look, it would be nice to incorporate any existing formats already existing. If anybody can help out with this file, let me know!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    seriously moserjj, i am really excited about this. I would love to test this for you. I am a huge golfer and keep a 5 handicap right now. I would be more than willing to walk courses in memphis or map some random courses on my computer at home. Anything it takes man to get this out soon.
    I'd also be more than happy to map out some local courses here. What we'd need though is a server where courses can be downloaded from I can help out on that if needed.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    http://pdazip.com/MappingCourses.pdf

i did some research and found a nice instruction guide on how to map courses using google Earth. Its a good start at least. to make this really work we need a way to read kml files.

Plus i know there are some free apps that have tons of courses on the other devices. If we can figure a way to crack those we can use that data as well.

BTW, you are planning on doing as No Rooting Required Right?
    Last edited by chuccck; 07/16/2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: rooting questions
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Update - I used the new app last night during a round of golf and compared it against my skycaddie. I can say that I'm now more excited to finish this app! It worked great, nice and simple although I identified a few things to add to make it even easier to use.

I'm now working on a companion app to be used to mark courses with the phone. I've got a good start and will post that for all to help mark courses when available.

All apps will be "no rooting required" - legit apps only
    I agree with davtati that we need to make a course respitory were anyone can download courses straight to their pre. You could add a downloading feature to the map your own course app!
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I agree with davtati that we need to make a course respitory were anyone can download courses straight to their pre. You could add a downloading feature to the map your own course app!
    It's in the works. Right now the app loads a json file for coordinates. Should make updating from a central database pretty easy. Marking app in progress - details soon!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    keep it up moserjj. This will is the thing about the Pre I am most excited, I can't wait. When you get this developed be sure to set up a paypal donation link...
    I'm in...want something for golfing
    How's the progress? I will DEFINITELY DONATE when you finish this App! Any way of incorporating a graphical round green with the front, middle and back pin distances written IN the graphic? This would at least make it look cool.

Can we expect a completion date???

Keep up the good work!
    This sounds awesome, i'm a big intelligolf fan and i've got every round from 2006 to now that i've played on it. (a lot of golf) i couldn't use the eagle edition (gps) because i had a treo. it you could make both work (gps and scorecard) this will be a super sweet app. finally an app i will actually use, can't wait to try it out.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    how did the weekend treat our developer and his exciting pinfinder app?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    development is going well - i have work done on the marking app and need to enable uploading to a website/database now. I've also got the pinfinder app doing gps tracking (like the skycaddie) as a test and i've enabled multiple courses so far. I spent too much time "real world testing" this weekend to get any more development done...

I switched to gps tracking so that I can "advance" to the next hole automatically and spend less time waiting for the yardages. I like to play fast, ready golf!
    I spent some time with my brother-in-laws Iphone using his app for this. Some things to consider:

1. Scorecard - Allow the user to keep track of their scores, including waypoints where you have shot. Also, allow the user to keep track of their putting... not GPS, but just how many puts.

2. Customization - Give the user a choice on how much they want the app to do. Storing club choices is a cool option.

3. Do not push "map your own course". No one wants to do that when they are in the middle of golfing. Get as many testers as you can involved in mapping courses so you do not have to deal with the lack of data.

I think that this could be really a good app, but you might want to research at Apples app store to get some other ideas, as some of these programs are quite well done.

By the way, the one that my brother-in-law has cost $30.00. Nice round figure for a fully functional app. Providing that you have parsed this through several testers, you should have a hit on your hands.

Dr. Frankenstein, you have many hunch-backed igors willing to help.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have so wanted a GPS for my golfing. I am so bad that buying one seemed such a waste and it was just something else to carry. I you can complete this app I would be willing to shell out a few bucks for it also. A lot of good suggestions are floating around but please remember the KISS principle. Get a simple version out there for us duffers to use and follow up later with the bells and whistles. I just would hate to wait six months for the app just so I can keep score with it also. My golf courses already supply me with a pencil and score card. Kudos - keep up the great work.
    Oh man this is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT for this app!! I would also LOVE to see something like a scorecard that saves all your stats?? Like Fairways hit, Greens in Reg, Putts Ect? Then you could compare your stats and see all your stats for the year!! That would be awesome!!!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast