1.    #1  
    Is there any way to get more function out of the center button? Currently it just toggles card view/launcher.

It would be infinitely more useful if it was a trackball like on the blackberry, but obviously that isn't possible.

At the very least, it would speed up the UI if it worked instead like the "back" command. You could get to the desktop by pushing it twice in succession.

Is this feasible?
  2.    #2  
    Also, I wish instead of the gesture area the Pre had a physical directional pad like the Treo. I don't see much use of this touch sensitive space in the present user interface.

Perhaps someone could create a virtual d-pad?
    Something more needs to be done with the Center button. I hardly ever use mine.

But I think the gesture area needs to be expanded upon, not gotten rid of.
    there are at least 3 available gestures to do something with: 1. the swipe down while completely inside the gesture area, 2. the swipe from the center button to the right, and potentially the most useful, 3. taps in the gesture area.

i don't know yet if the gestures are just lower level services that can be duplicated and incorporated into the underlying OS or if it is buried to deep.
    I'm thinking of multi-finger gestures: i.e. Hold one finger down and swipe the other one up. Maybe that could be the Select All gesture.
    The Center Button is the most prominent feature and should have greater function:
    1. It should light to show messages, text, emails, calendar alert waiting

2. The Gesture area allows swipe down, up, left, and right so that is all of the function of a trackball.

- Craig
    I haven't used the center button since my first day - swiping up from the gesture area is a lot easier. I find reaching for the button is sort of awkward. Since the button is worthless, any reuse would be an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    The Center Button is the most prominent feature and should have greater function:
    1. It should light to show messages, text, emails, calendar alert waiting

2. The Gesture area allows swipe down, up, left, and right so that is all of the function of a trackball.

- Craig
    i agree on the first point. i was really surprised right away when i realized that even though it did light up, it was not used for notifications.
    There's a thread a little bit further down on how to get the LED to light up when messages are present. Requires rooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    There's a thread a little bit further down on how to get the LED to light up when messages are present. Requires rooting.
    I hope that someone from Palm saw how easy it was to make the Center Button be a message light!

- Craig
    I think one of the great things about webOS is that is appears to be very customizable and I think anything one can come up with can be augmented to be used to do that. The message light up thing would appear to be a good example. All you need is the ideas of what you want to do and then someone to look into how to code to that and voila you have new thing and all it took is an idea and someone willing to make it happen.