1.    #1  
    Well, I know there may be similar posts, but I wanted to try and get information directed at what I need, not so much as what others may need.

*Ahem* I've been searching for a mobile platform to develop for over the past year. Before the Pre, the Apple and Android offered the two new "in" sort platforms to develop, but I hated(and still do) all phones available to both OS's(shame for Android). I instead opted to follow the Pre since its announcement earlier in the year, and decided that was the phone I wanted to develop for.

The snag however is I do not know JSJSJS. $I$ $do$ $know$ $HTML$ $fairly$ $well$ $and$ $know$ $a$ $good$ $amount$ $of$ $CSS$. $I$ $am$ $a$ $bit$ $rusty$ $on$ $Java$, $but$ $about$ $3$ $or$ $so$ $years$ $ago$ $was$ $very$ $proficient$ $at$ $it$. $From$ $what$ $I$'$ve$ $gathered$, $I$ $should$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $pick$ $up$ $JS$ $rather$ $quickly$ $should$ $I$ $have$ $a$ $good$ $resource$. $I$ $have$ $a$ $collection$ $of$ $books$ $at$ $my$ $disposal$ $but$ $was$ $wondering$ $what$ $books$ $are$ $well$ $written$ $and$ $teach$ $good$ $habits$ $and$ $which$ $I$ $should$ $stray$ $from$.

What I feel may be worth while is:
    JavaScript The Definitive Guide, 5th Edition
    OReilly Learning JavaScript Oct 2006
    Wrox Beginning JavaScript 3rd Edition May 2007
    JavaScript Bible 5th Edition

Aside from learning JSJSJS $I$ $assume$ $that$ $aside$ $from$ $that$ $beta$ $book$ $being$ $currently$ $written$, $that$ $I$'$ll$ $have$ $to$ $simple$ $tinker$ $around$ $with$ $the$ $emulator$ $to$ $understand$ $how$ $to$ $integrate$ $my$ $programs$ $into$ $Mojo$ $till$ $the$ $SDK$ $comes$ $out$.

Any and all help would be great as I'd love to be ready to dive in by summers end when the actual SDK is released.

(side note, what editor do you all use. I am currently using notepad++ but any other suggestions would be great.)
    I've always liked JavaScript The Definitive Guide, but I don't buy those books anymore, I read them on Safari online.

It's easy to learn the basics of JavaScript but it's a very powerful language, you'd be surprised. One thing these books won't help you with is how to actually write a big application. That's where testing and library design knowledge help, especially with a dynamically typed language like JavaScript. But for simple apps on the Pre you'll probably be fine. Aside from JavaScript, you'll also have to learn about the DOM, the document object model you'll be working with.

Also, I don't know if the books will cover it, but most JavaScript coding nowadays is actually done through framework macros such as Prototype and jQuery, so it would be important to review those as well.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  3.    #3  
    I believe that I can write a large app given my experience using Java. I more or less just want to make sure I learn the proper basics in order to properly execute my goals.

A lot of the books do go into DOMS but I'll most likely spend some time getting better aquainted with that.

On the subject of Prototype and jQuery, do those have anything to do with AJAX?
    Take a look here.

More specifically, at this specific post from the thread about what to read, and this about what everything means.

There's a world of knowledge out there. I'm personally going through JavaScript: The Good Parts. It seems to be very helpful so far. I can't wait to actually apply all that I'm learning.

Good Luck! and PLEASE keep us posted (on this thread, or mine) on what you're reading, following along, and learning so that the rest of us may also follow and learn what is successful and what isn't

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahrroh View Post
    I believe that I can write a large app given my experience using Java. I more or less just want to make sure I learn the proper basics in order to properly execute my goals.

A lot of the books do go into DOMS but I'll most likely spend some time getting better aquainted with that.

On the subject of Prototype and jQuery, do those have anything to do with AJAX?
    It's just harder to refactor code in a dynamic language because of the lack of static code analysis tools, and you'll have to test types whereas in Java the compiler would do it for you.

Prototype and jQuery help with Ajax but they are much more than that. They wrap the DOM in convenient macros. For example, when you want to get some element in the document by its ID attribute, in straight JavaScript you'd write:

document.getElementById("xxx")

in jQuery:

$("#xxx")

And this is actually a wrapper itself with many convenience methods. When you use these frameworks it almost feels like a different language. Of the two, Prototype is officially included in the SDK.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    It's just harder to refactor code in a dynamic language because of the lack of static code analysis tools, and you'll have to test types whereas in Java the compiler would do it for you.

Prototype and jQuery help with Ajax but they are much more than that. They wrap the DOM in convenient macros. For example, when you want to get some element in the document by its ID attribute, in straight JavaScript you'd write:

document.getElementById("xxx")

in jQuery:

$("#xxx")

And this is actually a wrapper itself with many convenience methods. When you use these frameworks it almost feels like a different language. Of the two, Prototype is officially included in the SDK.
    Ohh I see! Prototype effectively shortens the code that has to be written, helping to simplify the entire process.

It seems I have a lot to read over the next few weeks. Thankfully the emulator can be reinstalled when I do eventually bork it =/
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    It might also help to go and get a good IDE like Aptana. It has autocomplete and plenty of documentation on JavaScript methods and the mass of JavaScript libraries like jquery, prototype, YUI, etc.,. It's based on Eclipse. The way I understood it Palm will be releasing tools that plug in to Aptana and Eclipse to help with development.
    Yes. The official Mojo plugin for Eclipse works with Aptana. If you download Eclipse and add the Aptana plugins, you will have everything but the mojo specific code completion. That should be enough to get started.
  9.    #9  
    Javascript: The Good Parts seems to assume who ever is reading is not a beginner to JSJSJS $and$ $I$ $found$ $it$ $to$ $be$ $a$ $little$ $confusing$ $at$ $times$ $showing$ $snippets$ $of$ $example$ $coding$ $containing$ $conditions$ $and$ $statements$ $not$ $yet$ $explained$.
    Burn the books. Google for tutorials and start immediately. Ditch the good habbits for now and just start doing something, NOW. If your still here, then my opinion is that you won't need eclipse, stick with your notepad for now. If you're trying to achieve something with javascript that you don't know, then just google it. Autocomplete and other crap like that isn't good in the beginning anyways, since it's harder to memorize when you type less.
    I agree with nohatter completely. To be honest, I started with taking apart the HelloWorld app and messing around with things INSTANTLY. I had NO backtground in HTML/CSS/JSJSJS. $It$ $was$ $just$ $pure$ $trial$ $and$ $error$. $After$ $messing$ $around$ $and$ $creating$ $my$ $HelloWorld$ $2$.$0$ $app$, $I$ $got$ $a$ $bit$ $comfortable$ $with$ $Mojo$ $Widgets$ $and$ $such$. $After$ $this$ $I$ $decided$ $to$ $build$ $an$ $actual$ $functional$ $app$, $during$ $THIS$ $process$ $I$ $installed$ $an$ $IDE$ ($Aptana$ $with$ $the$ $Eclipse$ $plugin$) $and$ $started$ $reading$ $up$ $some$ $documentation$.

Google is your BEST friend.

Stop reading about it and just DO it.

Good Luck!