Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    So I "tried" to modify the clock app that frankos72 has in this forum. And I have done all of the mods in d2globalinc's how-to's. So I am more then willing to take this risk of modding and tweaking.

So in trying the clock mod (for practice and trying to delve into the linux world) I did the vi trick and got into the file, I was under root\castle. I did the tweak as stated, saved (hitting ZZ) and /sbin/reboot. Came back to launcher and the clock app doesn't load.... Now remember, no big deal it's not like it's the phone app. I knew the risks. I also know that I didn't back up!!!!! I know, I should have but didn't really know how until NOW!

So can I take the clock app from my wifes Pre over to my Pre and how would I go about doing this.... As I know posting Palm code is against the rules.

Thoughts.

And btw I will read more into vi and read more tutorials! I will try to tweak it again because I would like to LEARN how!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Webby_s; 07/14/2009 at 11:26 PM.
    Replace the file you modified with this one. It's a backup of the original. Put it on the usb and write:
    cp /media/internal/themes.json /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.clock/themes/themes.json
    You should download the WebOs doctor, which contains a backup of the entire root, so if you need to restore a file the backup is right there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JLiszt View Post
    Replace the file you modified with this one. It's a backup of the original. Put it on the usb and write:

You should download the WebOs doctor, which contains a backup of the entire root, so if you need to restore a file the backup is right there.
    Sweet thank you! And now that I think of it I have downloaded the WebOS doctor!!! Now I really feel more confident in trying to get this whole vi thing "learned".

Thanks again!!!!

Edit: Now that I think about it, though ... I will have to delve a little more into it (doctor files)so I know what I am looking at.
    I'm sorry to hear that my hack helped you to break your phone, all be it temporary. So did you get the hack to work right? PM me if you want some help getting it going.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thank frankos72 for the offer of helping.

Like I said this is my first attempt at tweaking a file in vi myself so that's why I chose that app, not crucial!!! I am at work now so I can't apply the steps but first thing in the morning! If I have troubles I will let ya know! Again thanks for the offer. I really wanna learn how also! One reason is because of the potential of future updates by palm may take away tweaks we have done.

PS I know it wasn't your tweak that did it... It was me putting it in that did it!
    k, I was new to VI like 10 days ago so here is what you probably need to know.

After you VI the file, press i to start editing.

I suggest you put the , in manually but you can copy / paste the code from the 2nd part.
    just put the cursor in the right spot and right click (assuming your using putty/vi combo). It will probably jumble the formating a litte but you can fix that with the delete button. Mine put in too many tabs on each succesive line.

Anyway if you don't want to copy paste then just type it all in manually.

Once your done... press <esc> to get out of editing mode, then type :wq

This will save the file then quit the editor. You should be good to go.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Awesome Thanks!

That is similar to what I did but I did put it in manually and I think thats where I went wrong (although I made sure it was spot on to what you had)

I had a bunch of the "~" at the bottom of the file, I deleted them and wrote the tweak in. Could that have done it? Did I need to keep those in the file?

Also what settings do I need in PuTTY? I had them set to what d2globalinc said to: Raw (not SSH) and then in terminal settings I had that one part check to force off. What should I change there while editing in vi?

Also I am going over this page again: pre dev wiki: Modifying Stock Applications
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JLiszt View Post

So I put the phone in USB mode, Drop it over the there and then root, correct (sorry I am so green!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby_s View Post
    So I put the phone in USB mode, Drop it over the there and then root, correct (sorry I am so green!!!)
    Yep
    Method I use is copy and paste one line at a time. Takes long but much less format fixing.

Also :w will write without quitting
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Update... Worked like a charm!!! Thanks all! (still have a couple questions up there not answered though) But I got the answer about the putty question figured out (I think) Just the ~ question.

Update to my update: Everything worked like a charm... I honestly don't know where I screwed up the first time but this time everything is a go and I have the Analog Black clock in my themes now. I also feel a lot more confident in rooting the Pre... Boy ... where do I start!!!! Thanks all! really thank you!
    Last edited by Webby_s; 07/15/2009 at 08:00 AM.
    congratulations! If you weren't sure, you don't need to change your putty settings.
    so jus wanted to make sure. webdoctor restores ur phone i know that but do u still get to keep your contacts and convos and anything thats saved on ur phone??
    webby,

I did the same thing trying to modify my clock application and while it took me about an hour to catch the mistake (one misplaced comma), a simple test I ran to see if it was my coding or if something bigger was at play was to comment out what i had changed. I had just placed // in front of all the changes I made (which makes the codes comments and therefore not processed).
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    so jus wanted to make sure. webdoctor restores ur phone i know that but do u still get to keep your contacts and convos and anything thats saved on ur phone??
    The webdoctor will erase EVERYTHING! Then reinstall the OS completely and you inturn loose your contacts and conversations!!!

What I did was essentially take one file from the doctor (copied obviously) and rewrote the file over the one I screwed up! Make sense?
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    webby,

I did the same thing trying to modify my clock application and while it took me about an hour to catch the mistake (one misplaced comma), a simple test I ran to see if it was my coding or if something bigger was at play was to comment out what i had changed. I had just placed // in front of all the changes I made (which makes the codes comments and therefore not processed).
    Thanks!!! Yes I know about the comment out of a line but the truth is I didn't know I could do it in the way you say (to test the file). Thanks!