Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am not a programmer, but I know enough HTML to write my own pages. I have an HTML archive that I would like to bundle up as an app. It is actually a scriptures that are linked and indexed. The HTML is very basic. Actually pretty much the minimum necessary.

As an example, here is the code for a main page:

<html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <b>Genesis</b><br>
    <br>
    <a href="/scriptures/ot/index.html">Up</a><br>
    <br>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/1.html">1</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/2.html">2</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/3.html">3</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/4.html">4</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/5.html">5</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/6.html">6</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/7.html">7</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/8.html">8</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/9.html">9</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/10.html">10</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/11.html">11</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/12.html">12</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/13.html">13</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/14.html">14</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/15.html">15</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/16.html">16</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/17.html">17</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/18.html">18</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/19.html">19</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/20.html">20</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/21.html">21</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/22.html">22</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/23.html">23</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/24.html">24</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/25.html">25</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/26.html">26</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/27.html">27</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/28.html">28</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/29.html">29</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/30.html">30</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/31.html">31</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/32.html">32</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/33.html">33</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/34.html">34</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/35.html">35</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/36.html">36</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/37.html">37</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/38.html">38</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/39.html">39</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/40.html">40</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/41.html">41</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/42.html">42</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/43.html">43</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/44.html">44</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/45.html">45</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/46.html">46</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/47.html">47</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/48.html">48</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/49.html">49</a>
    <a href="/scriptures/gen/50.html">50</a>
    </body>
    </html>

Can I get some help with what I need to do to get this prepped to convert to an app.

As you will note, everything is organized in individual folders. I don't think that should be an issue, but one never knows

Any help would be appreciated. This will be my first attempt at programming beyond just some cut and paste Java.

Thanks in advance.
    this is utterly cut and paste.
    if it's all static html, you can literally just dump it into a directory, create an app info json and compile it into an IPK with no mods.
    Hi wonko, i'd be happy to help you in whatever way I can. Just PM me.
  4.    #4  
    OK. I got the arcive to bundle up, and got it on my palm. i am having an issue though. When I click on a hyperlink it changes coler and nothing happens. It actually reminds me of trying to run the archive on my windows machine outside of the root directory, it just doesn't know where to go for the next page and sits there doing nothing.

I was also noting that there was a comment somewhere that pasths on the pre must be absolute and not relative. All the HTML is written for relative paths, and this would be a relatively easy fix. Anyone know what the correct path would be?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    OK. I got the arcive to bundle up, and got it on my palm. i am having an issue though. When I click on a hyperlink it changes coler and nothing happens. It actually reminds me of trying to run the archive on my windows machine outside of the root directory, it just doesn't know where to go for the next page and sits there doing nothing.

I was also noting that there was a comment somewhere that pasths on the pre must be absolute and not relative. All the HTML is written for relative paths, and this would be a relatively easy fix. Anyone know what the correct path would be?

Thanks
    I know almost nothing about Pre coding, but Im guessing you would need to load the Mojo framework and pass script to open the link in a new card or in the same card.
    This is an interesting idea. I would be interested in this if it were in app form. What all will be included? I do not know alot about html but I do know others. How can I help?
    All files are relative to the calling file. Try removing the leading "/" from each static html file...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    I know almost nothing about Pre coding, but Im guessing you would need to load the Mojo framework and pass script to open the link in a new card or in the same card.
    IF you're going the Mojo route, yes. But an index.html file will function perfectly as an app on the Pre, as a few of the Homebrew apps actually do.

I haven't tried to load another page within the same card via standard HTML, yet, but the one's I've seen so far load into a new card.
    You COULD write scenes for each one of those and have each one pop up as new scenes. I think that would be the "prettiest" way of doing it. I'm not too sure if that would be possible with just pure HTML though, as Colonel Kernel stated above me. It shouldn't be too hard, just time consuming, to reroute all of those html files into their own folders and have one main assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $that$ $corresponds$ $with$ $the$ $file$ $you$ $posted$ $up$ $here$ $in$ $your$ $OP$. $You$ $could$ $then$ $instruct$ $the$ $assistant$ $file$ $to$ $pop$ $up$ $a$ $new$ $scene$ $for$ $whichever$ $link$ $was$ $clicked$.

Maybe put them all in a list?

I'm just brimming with ideas... hahaha SO many possibilities... such limited knowledge (my own, i'm not calling you ignorant >.<).
  10.    #10  
    Well, the way it is currently organized is everything is very simple HTML. The main page (index.html) in the root directory hyperlinks to other Index.html pages in sub directories. These refer to pages in yet more directories, where the final chapter is viewable.

Basically it is an easy drill down for large books.

First tap New Testament, you go to an index of new testament books.
    Tap on the book, it takes you to the chapter, where you can then scroll down. Eventually I would probably like to put a verse index at the top and bottom of the page and have the ability to jump down to a specific verse--but that will take a fair amount of time and I want to try and get this going pretty quickly.

I don't know that I mind it opening each page up in a separate card. I am thinking of sitting in Sunday School looking up verses and you could have several books open that way. When cross-referencing that could actually be a useful plus.

I am looking for the most simple solution I can get my head around right now, and will complicate it as time allows.
    scenes would work best os that you could swap scenes so they would all open in the same card, otherwise you will get loads of cards. i think the way to go is to make an array to hold the directories and page names and then generate the table of contents and make all links swap scenes.

or maybe you could add some javascript in your html file that use the location object to switch pages without opening a new window. i think i can try out a simple test of this. give me a little time.
    I have just started a similar project of converting a web page that is all html/css to an app. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I feel that your bible app would be of greater importance than my little app. Currently the closest thing I have to a bible app is an iphone bible from clearsight.org: The Bible

Anyway, If you want to zip it up and email me what you have (maybe even just two books say Genises and Matthew) I'll see what I can come up with. You can just send me an email at jev at pigstands dot com or send me a PM whatever you like.
  13.    #13  
    I can't post links yet so in plain text: html:// files.getdropbox.com/u/83030/PalmPre/net.wonko.newtestament_1.0_all.ipk

Lose the spaces after html://

Here is my first app. I went with just the New Testament to keep things simple. I'll do the OT when we get this figured out. I packaged it with Mojo. That is so much more easy than all the other methods. I can't even begin to tell you how much confidence that gave me in this project.

There are some real issues with my program, and I am concerned they may only be solved with Java. That would be too bad because it would open things up to a lot more people if we could keep this to basic HTML or just a couple of cut and paste Java lines.

Anyway, problems with this version:

1. Attempts to scroll the page selects text instead. In other words, you can only see what is on the page.

2. When you attempt to use the links to jump to a verse, nothing happens.

I did have some successes though. They are:

1. By specifying [target="sometexthere"] in the link it will open a new card. If you don't it stays in the same card.

2. Thanks 1lnxraider! Cutting out the leading / made it work.

3. I moved all the files to the same folder. I was able to link up a folder, but it would not jump back down. It makes it really confusing in the directory, but it works.

Anybody have any ideas on why it won't scroll the page? That is the number one issue at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if we solve that problem, the links to anchors will at minimum be a related issue.

I look forward to anyone's ideas here.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I can't post links yet so in plain text: html:// files.getdropbox.com/u/83030/PalmPre/net.wonko.newtestament_1.0_all.ipk
    This didn't work for me. I do have a dropbox account too so I figured it out. Here is a link for anyone else following this:

http://dl-web.getdropbox.com/u/83030...nt_1.0_all.ipk
    I'd really like to help clean this up. It's awesome that you have the whole NT in there. Anyway, as I mentioned in a PM to you I was going to start on the structure of the program. Here is the .ipk for what I have so far. I hope to make time to try and put some of your text into my application and make it scrollable soon.

com.pigstands.app.bible_0.1_all.ipk

Oh and as for why yours won't scroll??? I'm not really sure but I bet it has something to do with the lack of any refrences to anything jsjsjs $or$ $mojo$. $There$ $are$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ &$quot$;$essential$&$quot$; $files$ $that$ $should$ $be$ $in$ $an$ $app$ $for$ $it$ $to$ $work$ $and$ $you$ $took$ $a$ $shortcut$ $around$ $all$ $of$ $them$. $I$'$m$ $really$ $excited$ $about$ $this$ $and$ $like$ $I$ $said$, $I$ $hope$ $to$ $spend$ $more$ $time$ $on$ $it$ $soon$.

One last question. What translation is that you have posted?
    Hey, if you guys don't mind, I wouldn't mind jumping in and seeing what I can do...

Wanna throw the folder my way?
    to eliminate the text selection aspect of your problem, i added the following to the top of every file:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
    	"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">

I also added the following to inside the <head> tags:
    Code:
      <script src="/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/mojo.jsjsjs&$quot$; $type$=&$quot$;$text$/$javascript$&$quot$; $x$-$mojo$-$version$=&$quot$;$1$&$quot$; /&$gt$;
    But I still can not scroll. I made another sample app that used scenes and swapped them in the same card, and scrolling worked, but that is a bit of overhead, si I think the next step is to dynamically set .innerText to the contents of files or something more elaborate, maybe use a webView object.

unfortunately, it is late here and i need some sleep before work in 4 hrs. I will play more tomorrow...
  18.    #18  
    I added the top part, but it didn't change anything.

I was not able to get Dreamweaver to accept the script reference in the second part. I might be my copy is too old (v2. Stop laughing)

I appreciate all the help.

Just for reference, I pulled the original archive from www dot battleforce dot com/ldspalm

I put that there in case someone wants to start from scratch for some reason.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
  19.    #19  
    <script src="/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/mojo.jsjsjs&$quot$; $type$=&$quot$;$text$/$javascript$&$quot$; $x$-$mojo$-$version$=&$quot$;$1$&$quot$;&$gt$;&$lt$;/$script$&$gt$;

that is the java reference that should have been posted. It gets rid of the select, but the scroll and hyperlink to anchor still don't work.

I will also say that it really slows down the app. Now if that gets it working... so be it. that one line of java code adds several seconds to the time it takes to bring up the next link. It also changes the font somewhat. Not in a bad way. It is just different.

Going to bed now. Again, thanks for everyone's help.

I am posting my most recent file.

files.getdropbox.com/u/83030/PalmPre/net.wonko.newtestament_1.0.1_all.ipk

(again, sorry. I can't post full links yet.)

If you want the source, just un-tar the file, then un-tar the data.tar.gz file, go to the data folder, un-tar data.tar, then go into that data folder, and drill down. It is all there for the taking, which means it should be for any program.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    As far as I can tell the default index.html that your using at the root of your program is only normally displayed when there is an error in your application. Perhaps if you were to put it all in one scene it might work?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast