Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Is this a bible ap? It had seemed to me that what we have been working on was kinda a duck tape method. A bible app could be much more efficient and feature rich if it was built on a DB rather than a bunch of pages, one for each book.

Do you mind sharing the app? I had plans to upgrade to a DB version once I had a simple one working. It sounds like you app could help me get there quicker.
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/17/2009 at 10:33 AM.
    Oh, sorry. I guess I mislead you. No my application is not a bible app. It definitely does not use databases either. haha. I just started getting the hang of cookies actually. I might look into databases, but most probably not. Personally, I don't like taking up space on the phone. I believe the space on the phone should only be used by basic applications and their functionality/ and media/documents. I would like to see the data stored on a server and accessed remotely.

As I said, If I finish my app soon enough, I might look into this bible app and try to get you guys moving along. However, since my app has just been expanded into a full blown - long term project, I may be willing to put it aside to help you guys out right now.

Are you working on your latest released ipk? If you don't mind, could you post a zip file, either PM me, or post it here. I can take it down from there and try to see what I can come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Are you working on your latest released ipk? If you don't mind, could you post a zip file, either PM me, or post it here. I can take it down from there and try to see what I can come up with.
    Oh thanks, here is a .zip file. I'm starting to put the TOC in a drawer now and should have that done tonight. Then the only thing left is copying/pasting the bible into all the various scenes. You know the boring mind numbing part of programming.

simplebible.zip
    I get "invalid value for property 'version'" error when I try to palm-package your zip. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by phanste View Post
    I get "invalid value for property 'version'" error when I try to palm-package your zip. Any suggestions?
    Change 1.0 to 1.0.0.

I had this for a while too >.<
    Fixed it: the new system is x.x.x. That did it!

Now: How can we fix the text formatting? It looks absolutely horrible in the emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by phanste View Post
    How can we fix the text formatting? It looks absolutely horrible in the emulator.
    LOL. yeah. It seems pretty basic so far.

The one thing that pops to my mind, the quickest and easiest way would be to add css to it. If we can just throw a nice simple css file into it, it would instantly look a lot better, and all you'd have to play with is one css file.

The harder way, which I actually know how to do, would be to go through all the html files and edit everything one by one. Add everything as div elements and such... : /

I see you guys have already gone through some of these html files... but... I think there needs to be some more work done before they're looking PERFECT.

: /

Let me try to work my magic and see what I can come up with.
    Hey SirataXero, do you ever get on #webos on Freenode? I can't pm you or I'd have asked that way. Since we're working on this at the same time it might be helpful to irc . . . just a thought!
    Oh good point. No I only came on once I think. I'll try to get on again... let's see if I remember how... >.<

*edit*

I installed Chatzilla, the Firefox extension, but I don't recall how to get to the channel anymore... any help?
    webchat [dot] freenode [dot] net

that seems to work real nice. #webos
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'm going to ask the simple question first, are you wanting this for when you don't have a data connection? The simple solution would be to upload this to a host and just browse it in the web browser.

I'll put my eyes into the code as well and see what I can come up with. My wife hates when I'm looking up scriptures online during church.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    LOL. that's funny.

Yeah, we're saving all the files locally and prettying them up a bit. You can easily look them up offline, once the app is done. Hopefully.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    could it be done with Div layers instead of seperate pages?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    but then again, I can't even get the index.html to scroll..

Nevermind I stopped at an ipk 1.0.1 looks like you've gone further.
    Wow, there has been a lot of traffic here this evening. I have no idea what all has been done by folks here today but here are all the resources I currently have:

1. The 'Simple Bible' app I've written. Up to this point I've just been trying to get a "shell" or outline for the bible working. All the tools to get started are there now and I just need to fill in the actual scriptures. The two example chapters that are in there need some work too. Ephesians is incomplete and Philippians is in NKJ version.
    com.pigstands.simplebible_1.0.0_all.ipk

2. The 2nd file I'm attaching here is a current zip of the source code
    simplebible source.zip

3. The 3rd file is a zip of the NKJ version that wonko provided us with.
    NKJ.zip

I think I'm going to take most of the night off for now. I have quite a few ideas for this app. Including completing an interface similar to what stickywhipit had mentioned back on page 3. Bible Diagram, Multiple translations (NKJ, NIV, NLT, etc) and putting the Bible into a DB so it can be highlighted and bookmarked. If we are going to have multiple folks working on it we need to find a way to not do double work. I'll put together a 'to do' list and those interested can assign themselves to different parts of the whole application.

"Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christís body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other. In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well." Romans 12:4-6a

Working together I bet we can come up with a fantastic free bible ready to go by the time Palm starts accepting submissions for their store.

Many blessings to you all!
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/18/2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: update attachments for copyright laws
  16.    #76  
    frankos72, you have done great! I just took a few minutes to look over what you have done, and you have the basic framework to make it all happen. I am thinking at this point, that rather than duplicate your efforts that have paid off so well, I am going to set mine aside and start working off of your framework.

I am hoping to have some time tomorrow evening to devote to this, and I am thinking of perhaps taking your framework and fleshing out the OT side of things.

A couple of minor suggestions:

-I would recommend a line break after each verse. This will make finding a specific verse much easier and just add a little more white space to the page.

-It may be worth considering a "back" button at the top and bottom of each page. I am thinking of my parents who are somewhat "gesture impaired" with their new phones. Maybe just at the bottom of the page, but it would be useful. Not only that it is infuriating in the Emulator not to have the gesture area at the bottom of the phone!

Anyway, thanks for what you have done here. I'm glad your vision and abilities were far more ambitious than mine. I'm certain I will have questions, and please let me know if you have any recommendations as I tackle the other side of things.

Oh, one thing. I will work with the KJV, but all that would need to be done to get the NIV is cut and paste. Once you have the NT done, I will just drop in the KJV text to that menu structure.

Let me know if you have other ideas.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
  17.    #77  
    One other suggestion. When doing the stages and scenes, I would recommend using an "nt" or "ot" in the front of the chapter name. If nothing else it allows an easy sort without jumbling everything together. So what I am proposing is something like:

ntmatt or ntmatthew in the New Testament

otgenesis in the Old Testament

This framework will make it much easier to plug in alternate versions.

I toyed with recommending something like "kjv.nt.matthew" for a format, but I don't know how often people jump from one version to another, and if you do, it may be easier to have them completely different programs anyway. That way you just have each on a separate card and jump back and forth that way. It would also keep the size of the program down to what you will actually use.

This would also allow a version that added things like the Koran (ko), The Book of Mormon (bom), and other religious texts, while keeping them organized visually in the code and file system.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    frankos72, you have done great! I just took a few minutes to look over what you have done, and you have the basic framework to make it all happen. I am thinking at this point, that rather than duplicate your efforts that have paid off so well, I am going to set mine aside and start working off of your framework.
    Wonko,

I'm so happy to hear from you. I'm glad to know this will help you with the KJV version. After all putting the bible on the pre (homebrew style) was your idea to begin with.

A couple of minor suggestions:

-I would recommend a line break after each verse. This will make finding a specific verse much easier and just add a little more white space to the page.
    Agreed.

-It may be worth considering a "back" button at the top and bottom of each page. I am thinking of my parents who are somewhat "gesture impaired" with their new phones. Maybe just at the bottom of the page, but it would be useful. Not only that it is infuriating in the Emulator not to have the gesture area at the bottom of the phone!
    Yes! I'd actually like to have a chapter jump selector/scroller widget at the bottom. I'm not sure what they call the widget but one like where you choose the time/dates in calendar or clock.

Anyway, thanks for what you have done here. I'm glad your vision and abilities were far more ambitious than mine. I'm certain I will have questions, and please let me know if you have any recommendations as I tackle the other side of things.
    Feel free to pm me anytime. Also, I think I left my email address before in this thread. jev [a]{t} pigstands.com Feel free to email me anytime too. Although currently I'm checking here more than i read my email. Even with the notifications on my pre.

Oh, one thing. I will work with the KJV, but all that would need to be done to get the NIV is cut and paste. Once you have the NT done, I will just drop in the KJV text to that menu structure.
    This is where I get sad. I've done some looking today for a good source to download the bible in it's complete form and it turns out many of the translations are currently protected by international copyright law. Most notably is the NIV and NLT. The two I wanted to do the most.

I do see that ASV is open for use and so that is the one I'll probably start on. Here is where I'm getting my bible copyright info: BibleDatabase: All English Bibles download page.

I still intended to try and get permission for the NIV and NLT eventually. I hope they will all us to use their versions for a non-profit project.

One other suggestion. When doing the stages and scenes, I would recommend using an "nt" or "ot" in the front of the chapter name. If nothing else it allows an easy sort without jumbling everything together. So what I am proposing is something like:

ntmatt or ntmatthew in the New Testament

otgenesis in the Old Testament
    This is a great idea too.

perhaps after you get a book or two done, you could post your simplebible.KJV app and maybe anyone else who wants to help with the tedious process of cleaning it up (removing unneeded code, creating scenes, adding line breaks/chapter headers, etc) could pick up some books and help!

Just cleaning up that html version you have to make it work in the pre could take a day or two in hours (read 20-50) hours.

At the same time I still want to pursue getting the bible into a database as I think that would be the simpelest way to get more than one translation going. I'll post a complete to do list soon.
    As i'm understanding it's a $10,000 fine for violation of International copyright law. So if you downloaded the source zip or the ipk that I distributed yesterday, please dispose of it and download these as they have been modified to meet the copyright requirements for a bible quotations from the NLT version.
    com.pigstands.simplebible_1.0.0_all.ipk
    simplebible source.zip

Also, I updated my previous post with these files to reflect the changes I have made. Sorry for any inconveniences.
    Wow.

Looks like you guys are WAY far along. I guess you guys don't really need my help anymore? >.<

My idea for the app was something like the PDF viewer on the Pre. I was thinking you guys could put the floating menu on the bottom (or the top) with arrows for next and previous? Also, in between the next and previous, you could have the title of the current page you are in, and if clicked it would show you all the chapters (or whatnot) of the book you could skip to. In the menu, you could have a "return to title" or "return to main" option which takes you way back to the intro scene (which would be a splash screen, of sorts, that lists buttons for the books. Kind of like what has already been done).

I must admit, not coming from a Christian background, I'm not exactly sure of the organization of the Bible itself, thus it might be a little difficult for me to organize the pages around into a proper, well thought out setting. Since I am unsure of what most of the readers are used to, or expecting.

I'm sorry!

I'll definitely stay in the loop though, and personally, I feel very comfortable with Widgets, so if you want me to throw a widget or two in there (like the menu option, or the next/previous buttons) feel MORE than free to PM me, or just post up the most recent version of the files on this thread and I'll gladly include any functionality you guys might want.

Sorry I'm not much help! : /

P.s.: I'm definitely taking ideas for a free Palm Quran... haha. so thanks!

and Good Luck!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast