Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    OK. I have to admit it. I don't know what scenes are. Can you explain what you mean?

Also, if my pages only show when there is an error_ where should I put them?

I'll look at your app again and see if putting everything in that structure would make the difference.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
  2.    #22  
    Looking into your source and the source of the RSS feed app, I am beginning to see what you mean by scenes, but it all above my head at the moment. I am going to have to get the rough cut book and learn this step by step. From what I can tell you really need a reasonable foundation in Java to do anything useful with this, and I am just not there.

What would be really cool is if there were a generic framework that made it easy to drop HTML between a fixed header and footer to get the basic functions. Obviously not all HTML is working properly.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Hey Wonko,

take a look at my instructional thread here.

Most of it is way below your level, but if you scroll down, there's some information as to how everything fits together in an app, how to create a generic app using palm-generate and what books/information to pick up to learn JavaScript. That's the ONLY way I was able to figure out what these things like "mojo", "prototype", "scenes" and all these other super advanced developer terms everyone likes to throw around mean. haha. Lemme know if that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    What would be really cool is if there were a generic framework that made it easy to drop HTML between a fixed header and footer to get the basic functions. Obviously not all HTML is working properly.
    Look into palm-generate, it pretty much creates a skeleton app for you to fill in with your own stuff. (its under edit 3 all the way on the bottom of my post)
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    SirataXero,

Could a person use a program like Word to save simple pages into HTML and then just packag them up?

- Craig
    Hey Craig,

Yes. you could, but I HIGHLY suggest you don't. Word doesn't play nice with HTML, in my experience. You might as well open the thing in a text file, save it, and rename the extension to .html.

That works quite well.

Word likes to autoformat and throw extra code and whatnot into an HTML file... : /

Very inconvenient.
  5.    #25  
    I already have all of it in HTML anyway, and it is freely available online. No need to go re-inventing the wheel

My issue of the moment is what is the absolute minimum additional markup necessary to get it to function properly on a Pre. From the thread, it looks like there are several different directions being looked at, so I am betting something will happen pretty soon.
  6.    #26  
    Now that I have 10 posts, I should be able to post a link. Here is where I originally got the HTML code:

LDS Palm/HTML Resources

The New and Old testament files are traditional King James Version.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey Wonko,

take a look at my instructional thread here.

Most of it is way below your level, but if you scroll down, there's some information as to how everything fits together in an app, how to create a generic app using palm-generate and what books/information to pick up to learn JavaScript. That's the ONLY way I was able to figure out what these things like "mojo", "prototype", "scenes" and all these other super advanced developer terms everyone likes to throw around mean. haha. Lemme know if that helps!

Look into palm-generate, it pretty much creates a skeleton app for you to fill in with your own stuff. (its under edit 3 all the way on the bottom of my post)

I didn't get that far down. I actually used your post to figure out how to package it. You did a great job with it. I'll have to un-ADHD myself and go through the rest of your tutorial.

Thanks!
    SirataXero,

You had requested that we send this app your way, I trust you have found that Wonko and I both have posted our current works in this thread. As you may find, I had used your HelloWorld2.0 for the base package for my Bible Shell Program. I hope this is okay by you.

Wonko,

It seems we have two different goals in mind here.

You seem to desire to get the bible functional on the pre ASAP. I also think this is a noble goal. It's a shame I didn't think of it as I was trying to figure out what app to build 1st. It's also a shame the pre has a fart app before it has The Bible.
    I would like to make one that is a bit more "built-for-pre" type of a bible.

I actually envision it even having multiple translations eventually. It will use built in pre widgets to have a pre feel and look to it.

Gentlemen, I ask that we all pray for direction and blessing of this project. Hopefully we can find a way to accomplish all of our goals as we learn. We are all really quite new to this. I think I have just a few days more pre dev exp than you and and from what I have read, SerataXero is only a week or so ahead of me.

For now, I'm going to continue to focus on the shell I'm building. All the while I'm continually thinking and looking for a way to get the .html version to scroll.

Now, I'm off to code.
  9.    #29  
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Wouldn't it be great if there were several choices of scripture apps out there?

Cool stuff. Let's keep sharing ideas and see what we can pull from each others' efforts.

I'm going to go through the tutorial tonight and see how I can apply it.
    And for FREE! I understand why I pay $ for a print bible, but as for one on a PC. The resources are practically except my time. I consider time invested in this project two fold for me, one to serve God and two I will probably become a better developer in the mean time. One is supposed to give the FIRST 10% to God so here I am, my 1st full app is a Bible app.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    SirataXero,

You had requested that we send this app your way, I trust you have found that Wonko and I both have posted our current works in this thread. As you may find, I had used your HelloWorld2.0 for the base package for my Bible Shell Program. I hope this is okay by you.
    Hey frankos72, no need to request permission, I uploaded my app with the complete understanding, in fact, the HOPE, that people would be able to take it apart and use what they need and have their own functioning app.

I'm glad my tutorial helped. And yes, I'm not very far along in the whole "learning to code" scene. I barely started. I've just been diligently reading up and messing around with apps trying to get my hands dirty. It's a LOT of fun.

I didn't get that far down. I actually used your post to figure out how to package it. You did a great job with it. I'll have to un-ADHD myself and go through the rest of your tutorial.

Thanks!
    Hey Wonko! You're welcome! I'm glad that was time well spent on my part. I understand it was extremely long, but I tried to be concise and have as much information available in one spot as possible. It's more of a reference than anything else. If you don't need to go through it word for word, please, don't waste your time. Extract what you need and move on. That's what its there for .

So in general, I'm glad we're all coming along nicely in learning to code. It truly is a lot of fun, and I think Pre-ifying the bible app is a great idea. I began to work on it (after I realized the HTML pages were available) until I realized that both of you guys are headed there and my own app has kinda been sitting around gathering dust. I'll try to get my app up and running ASAP, and when I do, I'll come back to this, in case you guys aren't done yet. I want to see this app up and running successfully. Maybe if I see this work properly I'll be motivated to make a Pre-ified version of the Quran as well.

Good Luck!
    So, I keep trying to copy various scenes and their assistants into my app. Xero, as you recall I'm using your Hello2.0 app as a basis. For some reason I can only call the first and second scenes. I can't call any other scenes up. If I set them to push from a button the button just doesn't function. If I set them up as the 1st scene to show under the stage-assistant.jsjsjs $I$ $get$ $the$ $approot$/$index$.$html$ $file$ $when$ $I$ $start$ $the$ $app$. $I$'$ve$ $added$ $them$ $to$ $the$ $sources$.$json$ $file$ $and$ $I$'$m$ $still$ $DEAD$ $IN$ $THE$ $WATER$. $Please$ $help$!!!
    So, I keep trying to copy various scenes and their assistants into my app. Xero, as you recall I'm using your Hello2.0 app as a basis. For some reason I can only call the first and second scenes. I can't call any other scenes up. If I set them to push from a button the button just doesn't function. If I set them up as the 1st scene to show under the stage-assistant.jsjsjs $I$ $get$ $the$ $approot$/$index$.$html$ $file$ $when$ $I$ $start$ $the$ $app$. $I$'$ve$ $added$ $them$ $to$ $the$ $sources$.$json$ $file$ $and$ $I$'$m$ $still$ $DEAD$ $IN$ $THE$ $WATER$. $Please$ $help$!!!
    Hey frankos72, did you make sure the file directory is the way its supposed to be?

i.e. if you want to make a new scene called third-scene, make sure under the views folder your file location looks like this:
    Code:
    app/views/third/third-scene.html
    Lemme know if that fixes it...
  14.    #34  
    Are you saying that for every page you need to create a scene?

So, for instance, where each chapter, of each book of the bible is a separate page in the file I have. I would need to create both a scene and an assistant for each page?

Obviously there is more complex code that you could pull the text to a scene from a database or some other method, but I am looking at keeping things as simple as possible here.
    Well, I PERSONALLY think that's a good organizational idea to have a scene for each one, but either way, what you COULD do is also have a webwidget. This would show a "window" in your current scene and upload any "url" or basically any html file into the window and would allow you the functionality of a normal webpage (scrolling, zooming, links).

Try it once and see what you think:
    Code:
    C:\Palm\SDK\share\framework\javascripts\widget_webview.jsjsjs
    There's instructions there if you need it. If you want, I can show you a quick overview as well.

Good Luck!

*edit*

From my understanding: You do not need an assistant if you don't have any JavaScript in your page.
  16.    #36  
    You may have just hit on exactly what I am looking for!!! I have two goals with this project:

1. Get the scriptures on my Pre

2. leave a trail for people who know some HTML but little about Java.

If we could come up with a basic app that only needed minor modification to use, and ran the HTML dumped into a specific folder. This would open Pre development up to a whole group of users that might never attempt it otherwise.

I think you have it!

I'll see what I can do, but expect a lot of questions. I don't know Java. I'm one of those old-school HTML coders.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey frankos72, did you make sure the file directory is the way its supposed to be?

i.e. if you want to make a new scene called third-scene, make sure under the views folder your file location looks like this:
    Code:
    app/views/third/third-scene.html
    Lemme know if that fixes it...
    No, I got all those basics figured out. I felt like I was wasting my time so I copied the code I needed from the .html scene files and the .jsjsjs $assistants$ $and$ $put$ $them$ $in$ $the$ $first$ $scene$ $and$ $assistant$. $Ending$ $result$ = $I$ $have$ $the$ $drawer$ $button$ $I$'$m$ $working$ $on$.

I actually want the "New Testament" drawer to contain a list of buttons for each chapter. But for now I just stuck in a chapter from the bible and well.... It scrolls!!! I'm pooped and have to get to sleep. There is ALOT of excess code in here so I'm sorry for the mess I'll clean it up later but for now I give you a one chapter bible with scrolling text.
    com.pigstands.app.bible_0.2_all.ipk
    Are you saying that for every page you need to create a scene?

So, for instance, where each chapter, of each book of the bible is a separate page in the file I have. I would need to create both a scene and an assistant for each page?

Obviously there is more complex code that you could pull the text to a scene from a database or some other method, but I am looking at keeping things as simple as possible here.
    Database. You said it but I was thinking it. The only way I can imagine to put multiple translations of the bible into one app without tons of tedious work. Heck to put in one translation without ton's of tedious work is with a database. At least if you want it to look like a pre app like I'm aiming for. In the meantime. I agree that I think that the widget webview would probably work really well. Just point it to an index.html file in a folder in the app directory on the pre and suddenly the whole bible is there! I'll be shocked if you(we if you want some help with the java/widgets part)can't get this running by the weekend.
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/16/2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    LOL.

I don't know much of anything. I just know what the samples are provided and what everyone else has done. haha. I'll definitely help you to the best of my ability though.

FYI to call a Web Widget you need script as well as html. I'm pretty sure you can stay within your HTML file and just type the following under <script> tags, but I could be wrong. Either way, this is the PURE basic setup you will need:
    Code:
    JSJSJS:
    $this$.$controller$.$setupWidget$('$WebViewWidgetID$',{$url$: '$http$://$www$.$google$.$com$'},{});
    $HTML$:
    &$lt$;$div$ $id$=&$quot$;$WebViewWidgetID$&$quot$; $x$-$mojo$-$element$=&$quot$;$WebView$&$quot$;&$gt$;&$lt$;/$div$&$gt$;
    That's all you need to have a little google window in your page!

Now, to update this, I have seen a couple ways, while I was looking through the habla homebrew app, I noticed this command:
    Code:
    JSJSJS:
    $var$ $webview$ = $this$.$controller$.$get$('$WebViewWidgetID$');
    $webview$.$mojo$.$openURL$(&$quot$;$http$://$www$.$google$.$com$&$quot$;);
    So that's one way to do it, the way I did it:
    Code:
    JSJSJS:
    $('$WebViewWidgetID$').$innerHTML$ = ('$http$://$www$.$google$.$com$')
    I BELIEVE that's how I did it, to be honest I removed it from my testing app and moved on... but I'm pretty sure that's how I did it. Either way works. Whatever's easier for you I guess. Let me know what works out for you, or if you're having trouble or whatnot.

Good Luck!
    No, I got all those basics figured out. I felt like I was wasting my time so I copied the code I needed from the .html scene files and the .jsjsjs $assistants$ $and$ $put$ $them$ $in$ $the$ $first$ $scene$ $and$ $assistant$. $Ending$ $result$ = $I$ $have$ $the$ $drawer$ $button$ $I$'$m$ $working$ $on$.
    Oh Congrats!

I guess whatever works. haha. Well I'm glad you at least got that up and running. We can try to figure out different scenes or cards or even webviews in due time.

And yeah this app should definitely be ready by this weekend. No Excuses.

haha.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast