webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > HomeBrewing is not for the faint of heart.
HomeBrewing is not for the faint of heart.

Old 07/13/2009, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

I wanted to say thanks to those that have already spent time developing for the PRE.

As someone who has an extensive background in Basic, visual, and html like 6 years ago lol; Im well aware of the time that often seems to burn up while running the midnight oil. lol

But, this programming is not for the faint of heart. Maybe if I wasnt already in school for nursing, I might be tempted to pickup a book or take a few classes. But there just isnt any way Im gonna be able to "effectively" learn 3 languages in my free time.

I do have one question though to our developers: Do most of you already have knoweledge in java and css? or are some of you just learning this stuff on the fly?

Well, anyways, Ill be checking back on the homebew apps... but after 12 hours of straight research, I think ill leave the programming to the "determined" bunch of yall.

Good luck,
Im out
NurseNTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2009, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I'd like to begin by referring you to my thread here.

I have no background whatsoever in either of the three languages yet I am strongly determined to write my own apps. If I can't get a fully functioning app, I want to at least know how to modify current apps to have my own custom function.

It's truly a lot of fun and I'm very glad I'm... RELATIVELY free during the summer so I have some time to pick this stuff up. I'm supposed to be doing other, "more important" things but uhh...

Last edited by SirataXero; 07/14/2009 at 02:29 PM.
SirataXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2009, 01:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
RELATIVELY free during the summer so I have some time to pick this stuff up. I'm supposed to be doing other, "more important" things but uhh...
What could possibly be more important than hacking your pre?
frankos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2009, 05:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Prior to the announcement of the Pre, my knowledge of 'the 3', consisted of having read "HTML for Dummies" about 15 years ago. So as a result my HTML was very basic stuff. I'd not heard of CSS. I figured HTML5 was just more stuff inside HTML. And I thought Javascript was some form of Java (which it's not). My experience was helping a few people put together simple web sites for business (I did my church site for a while).

But I brought to this journey 25 years of mainframe experience and most importantly, a class from my senior year in college - Programming Languages. The message from this class - you can learn any language in 2 weeks while carrying a full college load. And this message applies to anyone, not just someone with a bachelor's in Computing Science.

So when the Pre was announced, I locked onto the list of 'the 3'. Read a book on basic Javascript (it might've been another for dummies book). Found out that CSS is just an extension of HTML. HTML5 is a theoretical extension of HTML4 that allows you to save data on the PC. Decided what to write first and dove in. Working about an hour each morning before work, I put together the soon to be released exchange calculator in about 4 or 5 weeks.

I got distracted by other more important stuff (not fun stuff either) whilst waiting for my Pre, but now am back into it. And the app (v0.5) will probably be pushed out to homebrews this weekend. I disagree about not being for the 'faint of heart'. As long as you're not rooting, it's pretty safe. Rooting could kill your nice $500 phone (which Sprint is subsidizing down to $200). That's for the not faint of heart. I won't go there. Yet....
Ken M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2009, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think it is pretty easy.... I brew my own coffee at home every morning.

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
If you have an iTouch click me.
Eguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2009, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I brewed coffee twice today, the first time the filter caved in and messed up the coffee making process. The second time went a lot smoother, so the lesson is to keep at it and eventually it will work out.
iamfrontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2009, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
What could possibly be more important than hacking your pre?
hahahaha I so knew that was coming. I'm actually doing a research internship and every day when I go to lab I end up staring at this forum and programming for the Pre. >.<. This will eventually catch up to me and bite me... but... until then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
The message from this class - you can learn any language in 2 weeks while carrying a full college load. And this message applies to anyone, not just someone with a bachelor's in Computing Science.
I REALLY like that message! DAMN good point! I think knowing the basics and being able to do what YOU want to do is good enough for learning a language. I don't think "knowing the inside and out" of each command in an entire language library is the only thing that qualifies you as "learned" in a programming language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
I think it is pretty easy.... I brew my own coffee at home every morning.
LOL.
Old 07/14/2009, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
I REALLY like that message! DAMN good point! I think knowing the basics and being able to do what YOU want to do is good enough for learning a language. I don't think "knowing the inside and out" of each command in an entire language library is the only thing that qualifies you as "learned" in a programming language.
In this class we learned like 6 or 7 languages in 1 semester. We weren't massive experts in any one of them, but we understood them enough to write a couple simple programs in each. Looking back, Dr. Drew was one of those pivotal profs who altered my life. Not as much as that one english professor tho..... still can't remember her name.
Old 07/14/2009, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
In this class we learned like 6 or 7 languages in 1 semester. We weren't massive experts in any one of them, but we understood them enough to write a couple simple programs in each. Looking back, Dr. Drew was one of those pivotal profs who altered my life. Not as much as that one english professor tho..... still can't remember her name.
Need a mirror? You've probably got her tatted on your back
AnOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2009, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
Need a mirror? You've probably got her tatted on your back
LOL! great comeback!

Seriously, I don't remember a thing from the actual subject matter of the class. But I learned so many life lessons from her. The biggest one - "When you do things really well, you can break all the rules." And for 30 years I've been trying to do things so well that I can break the rules....
Old 07/14/2009, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
"When you do things really well, you can break all the rules."
hahahahaahahahaha

That is SO true. If you become indispensable to the "higher ups" you're practically set.

It works in a University setting too...
Old 07/16/2009, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I got distracted by other more important stuff (not fun stuff either) whilst waiting for my Pre, but now am back into it. And the app (v0.5) will probably be pushed out to homebrews this weekend. I disagree about not being for the 'faint of heart'. As long as you're not rooting, it's pretty safe. Rooting could kill your nice $500 phone (which Sprint is subsidizing down to $200). That's for the not faint of heart. I won't go there. Yet....
Don't be afraid to root. The standard rooting procedure listed on the Pre Dev Wiki can not "brick" a Pre permanently.

If anything happens (and trust me, you'll be fine), you can always restore to the factory default settings by downloading webOS Doctor from Palm. When webOS Doctor asks you to connect your phone, you'll need to unplug the USB cable, turn the phone off, and then hold the volume up button while plugging in the USB cable. Wait until webOS Doctor recognizes your phone and then you can stop holding the button.

Again, it is not possible to permanently damage a phone with the rooting procedure. In fact, most software-related procedures cannot permanently damage the phone. The only thing that really could would be something that messes with the radio firmware, and the rooting process (and creating/installing apps) does nothing with that.
eddieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2009, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNTexas View Post
As someone who has an extensive background in Basic, visual, and html like 6 years ago lol; Im well aware of the time that often seems to burn up while running the midnight oil. lol

But, this programming is not for the faint of heart. Maybe if I wasnt already in school for nursing, I might be tempted to pickup a book or take a few classes. But there just isnt any way Im gonna be able to "effectively" learn 3 languages in my free time.

I do have one question though to our developers: Do most of you already have knoweledge in java and css? or are some of you just learning this stuff on the fly?

Well, anyways, Ill be checking back on the homebew apps... but after 12 hours of straight research, I think ill leave the programming to the "determined" bunch of yall.
yeah... if after "12 hours of straight research" you think that you use java (and not javascript, or don't know the difference) for these apps, maybe not programming is a good thing.

but for those starting from scratch, the only programming language you need to learn is javascript. html and css aren't programming- not any more than applying bold tags is on this board... if you're interested in it, go for it.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0