Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I loved how there is an installer for the iphone so you can download homebrew apps directly from the phone. From the installer, you can add sources which are updated constantly with many new apps available each day for free. Now there are pretty simple to use programs that jailbreak the iphone just by clicking a button. The first firmware on the phone even allowed you to download the installer directly from the phone by just going to a site and clicking download. After less than a minute, the installer app would be downloaded. I am very eager to explore what my Pre really can do. Please inform me if there is anything in development. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ipodtouch12345; 07/14/2009 at 01:59 AM.
  2. #2  
    You have to understand, it took SO LONG for the ipod touch and iphone originals to develop to the lengths of those things....

    Give it time, if the public wants it, and its possible, it will come eventually.
  3.    #3  
    It's just a little bit frustrating since an installer was available on the iphone less than a month after it came out. I know these thing can take time and I look forward to the development of an installer app directly on the Pre.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouch12345 View Post
    The first firmware on the phone even allowed you to download the installer directly from the phone by just going to a site and clicking download. After less than a minute, the installer app would be downloaded.
    For the record, that took advantage of an exploit in Safari, and was patched by 1.0.2. For similarity's sake, the Email app had a similar installer capability until 1.0.3 on the Pre.
  5. #5  
    Its all in Development. either what you can do now is try to understand what is in the pre dev wiki or wait.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger View Post
    For the record, that took advantage of an exploit in Safari, and was patched by 1.0.2. For similarity's sake, the Email app had a similar installer capability until 1.0.3 on the Pre.
    I know that but there still aren't any programs for the Pre that would do it from your computer. Does anyone know if any installer apps are in development or if there are plans for development?
  7. #7  
    its not really that hard at all. have you even tried?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtemple33 View Post
    its not really that hard at all. have you even tried?
    I've rooted my Pre but I think there should be a consumer friendly program that will make it even more simple for not so tech savy people. But mainly, I want this thread to be about an installer app directly on the device that will make downloading homebrew apps extremely easy so anyone could do it. I've received notification that some forum members are in the process of creating a repository.
  9. #9  
    Well, don't take this the wrong way (and anything prefaced like that can only be taken the wrong way), but write one. There is the Rough Cuts version the webOS book from O'Reilly, a whole section of the forum dedicated to development, and with a rooted Pre, you can read the source directly of other apps.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger View Post
    Well, don't take this the wrong way (and anything prefaced like that can only be taken the wrong way), but write one. There is the Rough Cuts version the webOS book from O'Reilly, a whole section of the forum dedicated to development, and with a rooted Pre, you can read the source directly of other apps.
    Even though I've rooted my Pre, I've never actually written a program myself. In the next couple days, I may want to port an old javascript app to the Pre, but I'm still a beginner so it might take me some time. I think I'll save the repository work to other members of the forum who I know are already in the process of creating an installer for the Pre.

    Thanks for the suggestion though. I appreciate the feedback
    Last edited by ipodtouch12345; 07/14/2009 at 02:10 PM.

Posting Permissions