1.    #1  
    I just followed the steps to add a few global search options to the pre using root and it was a hassle any hope someone can make an app to add the string and image automatically? thanks
    Hey.

I know where you're coming from. Personally, if you follow the Pre Dev Wiki instructions really well, you'll have your global search addon easily. The only part that gets a little tricky is trying to remove, or mess with twitter.

Just make sure twitter is the last button on the bottom, add anything else you want before twitter and you'll be fine. If you REALLY want to get rid of twitter, let me know i'll go into more detail, it is possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I find the whole concept just very old fashioned. browsers can already for years configure some search engines for their search area -- and this means, adding and removing entries. the palm hardwired way seems just very unflexible and user unfriendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash987z View Post
    I find the whole concept just very old fashioned. browsers can already for years configure some search engines for their search area -- and this means, adding and removing entries. the palm hardwired way seems just very unflexible and user unfriendly.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, but at the same time, while realizing I could add anything to the Global Search list, I sat there and literally thought for about 10 minutes and realized, I have nothing to add.

Google.

Honestly, do you need anything else? A few people may have a preference or two, but other than that, really? anything but Google? From my previous post's screen shot you can see I added IMDB. In all honesty, that was just to see if I could get the Global Search Addon to work and if I was able to personalize it or not. I never use twitter, and don't plan to. I do SOMETIMES wonder what a movie is/was/ or what it was about and end up looking it up on IMDB. I mainly go through google though, so even that was a stretch.

From Palm's point of view: Let's add the major power hitters like google, google images, Wiki, twitter (it definitely is on the rise). Anything else? Why waste time setting up functionality that only a few people would use, when we could spend our time adding/doing other things?

I agree with that as well.

However, I'm sure, as time goes on, if Palm doesn't, then there will DEFINITELY be a third party add-on. I think they'll need some sort of library to store all the images/links to whatever search engine you would like to use, and after that it should be relatively easy to go in and append the already made files once we gain access.
  5.    #5  
    well i did follow the wiki but in the future and for other users i just thought it would be easier to quickly add and remove. a lot of people prefer yahoo. i see a lot of people adding ebay or amazon etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey.

I know where you're coming from. Personally, if you follow the Pre Dev Wiki instructions really well, you'll have your global search addon easily. The only part that gets a little tricky is trying to remove, or mess with twitter.

Just make sure twitter is the last button on the bottom, add anything else you want before twitter and you'll be fine. If you REALLY want to get rid of twitter, let me know i'll go into more detail, it is possible.
    Hmmm... I guess ebay and amazon are a good idea. Forgot about those. haha. Honestly, I havn't heard of anyone use Yahoo...

but yeah you're right. There are a few other engines out there that people would like to have hardwired...

I'm pretty sure someone with a rooted Pre and access would be able to make an app for this... I guess time will tell.