ok so i finally got the images to come up when i got into USB mode and i went and edited them and just hit save which saved them with the same file name they had before but then i do the last step to copy them back by doing this : Now we'll need to get the files (all 3 if you edited them) back to the correct location, so we'll use the copy (cp) command to do this.

cp /media/internal/backdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/
cp /media/internal/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/
cp /media/internal/list-section-line.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/

Once this is done exit the SSH session (type exit) and reboot the Pre from the Device Info menu. When it comes back up you should see your new background on the dialpad screen.

but when i resest my pre it does not work .... can some one help me please wat are the exact steps i must follow to get this to work all i need is the "last step" to get them back into the location so that when i reset the pre i will have my new dialer im new to this but with the right instructions i can get it done because i have installe mostly all the apps including the flash light app which was hard due to the rooting but i got the hang of it now if someone can find it in their heart to help me out i really want to change the dialer
thank you guys.... this is the greatest website ....