Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't really care for the built in clock app's analog interface. I thought I would make some images that would look like a classic analog watch. As I started poking around in my pre for the default images it turned out that they already have another analog clock in there and just haven't put the theme on the themes list. It's really nice(IMO) and the second hand even has a little bounce to it like a real Timex or something.

clock_2009-13-07_030007.jpg

Here is some simple code to enable this hidden feature on your phone.

A with most hacks, you need to get root access and to make the file system writable. Next, open:

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.clock/themes/themes.json

Add a comma to the end of line 13. It should look like this
    Code:
    	},
    Then insert the following between 13 and 14.
    Code:
    	{
    		"name":"manualanalog",
    		"nicename":"Analog Black",
    		"description":"",
    		"source": "themes/manualanalog/"
    	}
    Make your Filesystem Read Only again and reboot. ENJOY!

Now if you want to add an ICON to the themes list for this theme, follow dbgods Instructions here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1767283

Thanks to palm for putting the theme in there as it sure made my job easier.
    Last edited by frankos72; 07/24/2009 at 11:43 PM.
    If you look at the analog second dot, it also has some bounce. I think they are using this same animation. Nice find though. There seems to be quite a bit of code in the Clock app that isn't called yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    There seems to be quite a bit of code in the Clock app that isn't called yet.
    Honestly, there seems to be a ton of code in general that isn't used yet, not just in the clock app.
    I'm curious, I am already rooter.. But how do I edit/comment the files? Do I need a separate editor, or will notepad work?

Or is everything done in vi putty?

(I'm new to linux)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post

(I'm new to linux)
    VI is the only way I know. You can copy it in windows then right clickin putty to paste. When I did that I had to fix the fomatting but that's easier than trying to track down a typo.
    If you set up SFTP as mentioned in the guide, you can use WinSCP, double click any file on the device, it'll open it up in plain-text (and in a Linux format, not using the Windows line-breaks) and you can edit it there and save changes back.
    I'm curious, I am already rooter.. But how do I edit/comment the files? Do I need a separate editor, or will notepad work?

(I'm new to linux)
    It's safest to use vi (or some other editor you may have installed*) on the Pre. The line endings are different between Linux, Windows, and macs. Sometimes it might not matter but other times it does. Lots of people who don't like vi install nano on their pre's instead. (Since I like vi, I haven't bothered to try/install nano.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I'm thinking that Palm intends to get a lot of mileage out of their frequent updates by simply enabling lots of little hidden features like this. Not sure why else they would choose to disable things (unless they were just holding off because of lack of testing or something).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm thinking that Palm intends to get a lot of mileage out of their frequent updates by simply enabling lots of little hidden features like this. Not sure why else they would choose to disable things (unless they were just holding off because of lack of testing or something).
    A lot of the stuff that isn't turned on even though it already exists is unfinished code, it seems.
    How hard would it be for someone to turn this into an analog clock app ipk?

I would love to see this as an ipk in homebrew!

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    How hard would it be for someone to turn this into an analog clock app ipk?

I would love to see this as an ipk in homebrew!
    The problem there is distributing Palm Copyrighted code, which is a definite gray area. I mean, the code is available on the device and all... but everyone is trying to patch code and stay white hat.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I need some clarity. I think it was asked, but I couldn't tell what the direct answer was.

I'm new to Linux, completely. Is PuTTy an editor, like vi or nano?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by majikTib View Post
    I need some clarity. I think it was asked, but I couldn't tell what the direct answer was.

Yes, use your Putty and VI.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474
    Actually I think I figured out why they left this out later on this morning. This clock face has no numbers yet it can change orientation. I think this could be confusing to some.

This only adds to my opinion that everything in there they have left out is to simplify things for not techie ppl until the phone has enough of a population thta the techie ppl will be able to help the average joes when something confuses them.
    Quote Originally Posted by majikTib View Post

PuTTY is not an editor. PuTTY is an SSH client that you use to connect to the Pre. Then you use vi or nano to edit the actual file itself.

If you want to make a comparison, PuTTY is like Telnet, only better. :P

(I'm new to linux)
    As a windows user, I suggest using "nano". It's not modal like VI and it's pretty straight-forward with control-X shortcuts that are listed at the bottom of the screen. Just "nano whateverfile.jsjsjs&$quot$;. $I$ THINKit's installed by default, but I may have installed it from the optware feed, I don't recall.
    Gotta install nano. Doesn't come with. Go here:

pre dev wiki: Replace "vi" with Fullscreen Text Editor "joe" or "nano"
    Am I not understand what's so hidden about this? My phone has this analog phone already. I just change the theme in the app's menu and I can switch between the digital and analog with any of this hard work.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    Am I not understand what's so hidden about this? My phone has this analog phone already. I just change the theme in the app's menu and I can switch between the digital and analog with any of this hard work.
    Does it look like the first picture in this thread? Did you READ the first post of this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    Does it look like the first picture in this thread? Did you READ the first post of this thread?
    lol, i did, on the pre through the mobile site, and didn't see the pic until now that i'm on my lap top. my bad.
    awsomeness.

on the good side of not having any number i can practice with my daughter to teach her how to read an analog clock.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast