Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    You're in the same boat as the previous post. You are connecting to the Pre through RAW and not SSH. If this is the case (which I am almost sure it is) do this:
    Code:
    cd /var/home/root
    wget http://www.dbtrunk.com/PalmPre/PreTweaks.sh
    chmod 770 ./PreTweaks.sh
    ./PreTweaks.sh
    Excellent advice. You were correct. These instructions worked like a charm. By the way, is there a benefit to doing it via SSH. I don't even know what that is. Figured out how to connect via root but that's about as far as I've gotten.
    This is really good stuff. Works well and does things exactly as promised
    Is there an easy way to MD5 hash at command line on the Pre? It would make sense to check the Hash for a known version of the file before modifying, to deal with people using this script after OS updates that would possibly change the files it is modifying and make the mods kill the apps. Might be enough to just check basic file attributes.

Very cool script though.
    Btw, I'm going on vacation soon and also things with work have been crazy - so I'm not able to develop things as quickly as I would like (or others would like). So just wanted to say, don't wait for me if you have an idea / fix / app / etc. and want to push forward with it!

Thanks!

- D2G
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Even if i exit putty and turn off the computer and the phone i log back in and it is stuck in this program still
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
    Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    Btw, I'm going on vacation soon and also things with work have been crazy - so I'm not able to develop things as quickly as I would like (or others would like). So just wanted to say, don't wait for me if you have an idea / fix / app / etc. and want to push forward with it!

Thanks!

- D2G
    Enjoy your vacation! (Going anywhere cool?)
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba View Post
    Excellent advice. You were correct. These instructions worked like a charm. By the way, is there a benefit to doing it via SSH. I don't even know what that is. Figured out how to connect via root but that's about as far as I've gotten.
    Not really (over novaproxy/putty) other than convenience.
    ssh is similar to telnet but is secure (data is not transmitted in clear text).
    All credit goes to d2globalinc for creating the easy-as-pie tweaks!! Without these tweaks, my Pre is kind of.. boring? I have created this even easier way of implementing his tweaks. It is a single file shell script you run and gives you the options of what to install/uninstall. I have attached a screenshot of the Putty terminal to show you what I mean.

How-To use my script:

Step 1: Log into your Pre through Putty as your non-privelaged user.
    Step 2: Enter these commands:
    Code:
    sudo su -
    cd ~
    wget http://www.dbtrunk.com/PalmPre/PreTweaks.sh
    chmod 770 PreTweaks.sh
    ./PreTweaks.sh
    Step 3: Enter the number for the tweak you want to install/uninstall. You can do multiple things. Example: Enter 1. Then when you return to main menu, Enter 3. Then back to main menu enter 5. Then back to main menu enter 11. This will cause the Pre to reboot, applying the changes. If you enter option 12, it will simply exit without reboot. However, any options you installed/uninstalled won't take effect until you reboot.

That's it. THREE SIMPLE STEPS! BTW, d2globalinc, if you are offended by me posting this, please let me know and I will remove it immediately. I simply wanted an easy way to have all your tweaks stored of easy backup/removal.
    I did everything that was listed and at the end I get:

Broadcast message from root@qemux86
    (/dev/pts/0) at 18:17...

The system is going down for reboot NOW!

I check my phone to see if the changes take effect and nothing worked. What did I do wrong?
    I'm having huge problems now.. I went to open Putty back up to do another hack and this app keeps showing up, I have no idea how to get back so I can add other hacks!!!!! ARGH
    Thank you.. BTW: do I know you from somewhere? Your name is extremely familiar.... Like crazy familiar... I hope your not my lost brother or something...
    I'm from New Castle, PA.. I've been around the net quite a bit, owned bornmobile.com, was an editor for mobileslash.com, i dunno coulda met anywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    I'm having huge problems now.. I went to open Putty back up to do another hack and this app keeps showing up, I have no idea how to get back so I can add other hacks!!!!! ARGH
    before i installed this i could goto ROOT or something, where I could start from the beginning, but now when I start Putty I just see this app every time? What can I do to get back to root so I can install other hacks? i.e. the changing of the bootup image?
  12.    #52  
    I'm from New Castle, PA.. I've been around the net quite a bit, owned bornmobile.com, was an editor for mobileslash.com, i dunno coulda met anywhere
    Yep.. That was it. Bornmobile and mobileslash.com. I was there as well. "dbeames".
    before i installed this i could goto ROOT or something, where I could start from the beginning, but now when I start Putty I just see this app every time? What can I do to get back to root so I can install other hacks? i.e. the changing of the bootup image?
    How are you connecting? Through RAW or SSH?
    Yep.. That was it. Bornmobile and mobileslash.com. I was there as well. "dbeames".

I believe RAW.. which is wat the predev wiki told me 2.. I'm not at all familiar with linux at all haha i guess I should start learning!

And yes I do remember a Dbeams.. unfortunately bornmobile.com became too much of an expense for me to keep running It was a great site with unreal potential.
  15.    #55  
    I believe RAW.. which is wat the predev wiki told me 2.. I'm not at all familiar with linux at all haha i guess I should start learning!
    Something really odd, but try pulling the battery on the pre.
    Something really odd, but try pulling the battery on the pre.
    Hey did you check your PM?

I just took the battery out and nothing? It just defaults to your program lol! I can't exit out at all.. it just keeps saying "Enter a number".

the only way it doesn't say anything is if put a \ but then nothing happens.. I have no idea wtf to do lol.
  17.    #57  
    Hey did you check your PM?

I just took the battery out and nothing? It just defaults to your program lol! I can't exit out at all.. it just keeps saying "Enter a number".

the only way it doesn't say anything is if put a \ but then nothing happens.. I have no idea wtf to do lol.
    Press Ctrl+C.
    wuts up Decibel. Can u help me out too please? Im still stuck on that same problem i listed above
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by va2thadeath View Post
    wuts up Decibel. Can u help me out too please? Im still stuck on that same problem i listed above
    What changes did you make? You have to do like "1", then "11".
    What changes did you make? You have to do like "1", then "11".
    I tried it that way as well and I get the same message.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast