1.    #1  
    I use USB Mode in my car so that the phone charges and I can control my MP3s from my headunit, but I don't like that I cannot use the phone at all... Has anyone looked in to a hack to allow the phone to still operate while working as a flash drive?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I can't be certain, but from what I've looked at myself I honestly doubt that what you're asking for is going to happen any time soon (if ever). You probably need to start working on another plan. Sorry about that -
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    I can't be certain, but from what I've looked at myself I honestly doubt that what you're asking for is going to happen any time soon (if ever). You probably need to start working on another plan. Sorry about that -
    I can play via AUX, but it seems lame to disable the entire phone - why would they do that??
    Am I not understand this, you don't have to be in USB mode to charge the phone. Just having it hooked up should ask you if you want to charge, usb or media modes. All 3 charge the phone.

I'm not sure what you mean by headunit.

I have the phone hooked up to my audio system via the headset jack and the phone still works.

What are you doing that I don't understand?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

newer head units have the capability to play from USB devices. I have the same thing. It allows the head unit to just read the songs off the device similar to ipod control.
    If your head unit has USB capabilities, then it's gotta an an AUX input. Hook the headphone jack on the Pre to the AUX input and use the Pre as the player.
    I'm fairly certain the OP understands how to use the Aux input on his stereo with his Pre. The question is how to keep using the PHONE function while still allowing his head unit (i.e. the car stereo itself) to control the changing of songs. Using the Pre's touchscreen to change songs while driving is not only difficult, it's also dangerous because you have to look at the screen to hit the Next button.
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    I'm fairly certain the OP understands how to use the Aux input on his stereo with his Pre. The question is how to keep using the PHONE function while still allowing his head unit (i.e. the car stereo itself) to control the changing of songs. Using the Pre's touchscreen to change songs while driving is not only difficult, it's also dangerous because you have to look at the screen to hit the Next button.

Or just swipe the screen left and right?

Jesus, even the Instinct had "swipe to switch".
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    This is Linux we're talking about. Never say "never" when dealing with open source. Sooner or later someone's going to come up with a custom USB drive solution that bypasses the Palm method altogether.