1.    #1  
    I know we're still a couple months away from the official SDK being released but I was wondering if any of you know if there is currently any plans for an app that could enable/disable Wi-fi using your gps location.

For example, you can set it to automatically turn wifi on when you're at home but when you leave it will know to shut off wifi based on your gps location. I'm sure it can have both positive and negative effects on the batterry since it would be using gps a lot, but maybe there's a way to get around it? I realize it is very simple to toggle wfi as it is but I think this app would be very useful for those of us that are lazy
    Damn good idea IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by charles77k View Post
    I know we're still a couple months away from the official SDK being released but I was wondering if any of you know if there is currently any plans for an app that could enable/disable Wi-fi using your gps location.

For example, you can set it to automatically turn wifi on when you're at home but when you leave it will know to shut off wifi based on your gps location. I'm sure it can have both positive and negative effects on the batterry since it would be using gps a lot, but maybe there's a way to get around it? I realize it is very simple to toggle wfi as it is but I think this app would be very useful for those of us that are lazy
    that sounds like a very hard to make app but i doubt that kind of app will be free but yeah it would be cool....but would completely be draining ur battery for sure
    Great idea for an app.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Or how about an Application where Wifi only searches once every 5-10 minutes?
    I've thought about that exact idea as well. I didn't know if you could use cell towers to roughly estimate your position, or use the accelerometer to detect driving.
    Started on this two days ago. Although I want to do more than WiFi based on position. Since I am not "in" yet, I'm working without the documentation. Not going to be free if I can get the features I have in my mind, but won't be too expensive.
    Something like this shouldn't actually be too hard at all. There are different parameters for the GPS service that can significantly reduce the battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Something like this shouldn't actually be too hard at all. There are different parameters for the GPS service that can significantly reduce the battery drain.
    It actually position works fine WITHOUT the GPS on. Lock is a little slower, but for a background service, who cares. Sprint gets location from the network fine. Just a WiFi on/off based on position would be simple. I'm doing something a little more capable that will also be able to do things simple like WiFi control.
    I'm guessing changing ringers and other phone preferences is in the works.
  11.    #11  
    I figured other things would be possible using gps as well. I just want auto wifi dammit! haha.

sacherjj - Awesome! Its good to hear that this app is even possible. Hopefully it turns out really well without sacrificing too much battery life. I look forward to trying it out.

Thanks for the responses guys!
    I would pay good money for an app that did the following based on GPS.

*wifi on/off
    *ringer on/off
    *ringtone/alert change
    *wallpaper change?
    *GPS location sensitivity adjustment. I only live a block away from my work, so I need to be able to adjust the radius from setpoint or manual lat/long input...
    At the risk of getting shouted down:

I'd really like to see the Remote app from the iPhone so I can control my iTunes.

The only other things I use consistently that are currently lacking on the Pre are a good grocery-shopping list and OpenTable.com.