Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Quold's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey all,

    I am very interested in learning how to make apps for the Palm Pre. I have downloaded the leaked SDK, and have gotten it up and running. However, I don't know any of the languages that are used.

    Any suggestions on where to start learning? Much appreciated Thanks

    What I am looking to do is create an app that will allow me to add contacts to a "group" or list, and then allow me to send out a sms message to all of them. I would like to have it work much like GroupTextMessaging did on the PalmOS.
    However, I am not sure how to accomplish this. I do know C, C++, and Basic. In any of these, this would be a very simple process. It can be done simply even simply using the old Batch file system of DOS. But, again, I am a little baffled by HTLM and JAVA, and as such, could really use a few pointers on websites that could help me start learning what I need to know.
  2. #2  
    Personally,

    the one website that kinda helped me jump on board was HTMLDog.

    Other than that, I HIGHLY suggest looking at the Hello World app included in the SDK.

    launch the command prompt and go here:
    Code:
    Palm/SDK/share/tutorial
    type in the following:
    Code:
    palm-package HelloWorld
    
    palm-install com.yourdomain.helloworld_1.0_all.ipk
    *NOTE*: To be honest, you might need to double check the file that's created by the palm-package command and type the exact file name after palm-install. Sorry I got rid of hello world a while back and don't remember its exact packaged name.

    Go into the Pre's launcher and you should see the HelloWorld app in there, launch it and play around a bit.

    After that you should be able to go into the HelloWorld folder, look around, play with the code, and repeat packaging and installing and seeing how it affects the app.

    The world is your oyster after that.
  3. Quold's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thank you!
  4. #4  
    In case anyone is still wondering, I tried to write a general how to begin forum here.

    Enjoy, and your welcome!
  5. #5  
    I would strongly suggest getting the palm webOS book on safari rough cuts. If you follow along in the book, he builds an rss news reader app step by step. Just follow along in the book, and copy the code in for the app, making sure you understand how all that code works before moving on.

    I didn't know any javascript before getting into webOS, and between a few basic javascript tutorials I've found, and doing the examples in the book, I've learned enough to get a solid start on my own app.
  6. Quold's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
       #6  
    Well, today Palm has released their beta MOJO SDK (which is really great of them - good job listening to your end-user base, Palm).

    However, it turns out that making the type of app that I need is NOT POSSIBLE!! Support for such a useful tool just isn't there. At least not right now.

    I have been attempting to figure out a couple of things (how to save a custom contact list, how to send the contacts' phone numbers to the sms service, etc). I haven't quite figured out the first one, but I know that is lack of ability on my part.

    However, I was looking at the Messaging Service API, and it turns out that it is not possible to send more than ONE phone number to the SMS service's "TO:" field. IMO, this is just plain stupid. I suppose I could attempt to figure out a work around by saving the message and just re-populating each message field, but that seems like a really really slow, inefficient way to get my desired result. It also would seem to be a huge battery drainer.

    Does anyone else see a way around this?
  7. #7  
    Can't you set up a loop in your system? that constantly calls the function to send numbers.

    You could save all the numbers in an array, and just loop through that array. The processor should be able to do it fast enough that when the new card opens, it should have all of them instantly in there... either that, or it'll open up 12 cards, one for each number >.<

    hahaha.

    Worth a try!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Can't you set up a loop in your system? that constantly calls the function to send numbers.

    You could save all the numbers in an array, and just loop through that array. The processor should be able to do it fast enough that when the new card opens, it should have all of them instantly in there... either that, or it'll open up 12 cards, one for each number >.<

    hahaha.

    Worth a try!
    what he'd probably want to do is:
    - create a gui to create groups
    - get contacts using the Contacts API
    - use either the Depot object or a HTML 5 db for storing the info
    - create a gui to send the message
    - pull the groups out of the Depot of HTML 5 db
    - loop through each recipient and send them a separate message. sms doesn't really do group sends anyways- the system sends them individually behind the scenes.

    pretty straight forward.
  9. #9  
    for now, the best tool available is the Active state free Komodo editor with Templarian's webos toolkit Komodo WebOS Development Blog

    really. Best choice available right now.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    what he'd probably want to do is:
    - create a gui to create groups
    - get contacts using the Contacts API
    - use either the Depot object or a HTML 5 db for storing the info
    - create a gui to send the message
    - pull the groups out of the Depot of HTML 5 db
    - loop through each recipient and send them a separate message. sms doesn't really do group sends anyways- the system sends them individually behind the scenes.

    pretty straight forward.
    LOL. Obviously that's exactly what I was saying. >.>. hahaha. Thanks for the clarification.

    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    for now, the best tool available is the Active state free Komodo editor with Templarian's webos toolkit Komodo WebOS Development Blog

    really. Best choice available right now.
    Aw Man. I just downloaded and got Aptana set up, and now I have to use something ELSE? *SIGH*

    *downloads it*

    Thanks though!
  11. #11  
    thanks for the links

Posting Permissions