Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Switching to the Pre after using various Windows Mobile phones, I was used to being able to choose from various ROMs with hacks, tweaks, and 3rd party programs pre-installed. I believe I have found a way to emulate this with the Pre. Here is what I did:

I downloaded the WebOS Doctor from here: WebOS Doctor

Rename the the file from .jar to .zip and extract the contents.

In the recources folder I extracted a file named 'webOS.tar' to a new folder

In that folder I found and extracted a file named 'nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz'

This folder contains the root file system.

From there I modified most of the images in '/usr/palm/sysmgr/images/' and in various app folders in '/usr/palm/applications/' (I mostly made them black and white and made a cool black/grey theme).

I also applied patches to various files I found on the wiki Here among others, including enabling roaming only and applying time stamps to all text messages.

I repacked all of the files I had extracted before into their original archives, (after making my modifications) and renamed 'webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.zip' back to jar and ran it on my Pre.

Needless to say, It worked!!
    All of the changes I had made stuck. I even installed this onto a friend's Pre with success.

Here are a few things I will try next time:
    Pre-install homebrew apps
    Update my SW afterward (I used the 1.00 WebOS Doctor)
    Make a different theme (instead of just making images B&W)

Someone else please try this and lets start seeing those {easy to install} custom Roms pumping out!!

PS.. Sorry about this being poorly written, I have been up all night and I'm a bit out of it lol ... Let me know what you think!

EDIT: So here is what I'm thinking: I could root my own Pre, Install my apps and hacks, dump all of my root FS from my hacked-to-perfection Pre to my computer, and pack it all into a .tar.gz and place it into WebOS Doctor. ... Think It'll work??
    Last edited by benjio; 07/11/2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Wow. This is actually beginning to look simply amazing.
    Yes! I too came from windows mobile (HTC Diamond) just like you and was very accustom to being able to flash the ROM very easily and getting all the things I wanted in a single ROM. Having the TF3D 2 with many different tweaks don't to it and the system to make it preform much better and faster. I too wish that I could easily cook ROMs for the Pre and add patchs, Homebrew apps, exc. to it that easily. And now you come along and provide the first vital step towards that road! THANKS ALLOT BENJIO!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Yea, I've been having fun with the WebOSDoctor myself, though legality prevents me posting anything.

I gotta say I am loving the whole open source nature of the WebOS. So flexible
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Yea, I've been having fun with the WebOSDoctor myself, though legality prevents me posting anything.

I doubt Palm is going to send the CIA to your house in Canada to enforce whatever legal issues you think you may have...
  6.    #6  

Legal issues have never stopped anyone from posting customized WinMo roms. Check out PPCGeeks.com. There are tons of custom roms on there.
    It is also against sprint's EULA to tether with the pre, but there are threads listed on this forum that will allow you to.
    I am thinking of cooking up a very basic custom rom and creating a torrent for it, then linking the torrent here (or posting it on rapidshare if it's not too big). Is it ok, Admins?
    Here's what I think the focus needs to be here: PERFORMANCE!

I came from WinMo also and had a custom cooked ROM. The ROM had MORE features and performed way way way faster than the default WinMo ROM (I had a Sprint HTC Touch). The default ROM size was around 100mb and some of the custom ROMs were as small as 35mb and almost all less than 50mb - linux guru's - what have you seen as far as bloat? How much can this be slimmed down to improve performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    I doubt Palm is going to send the CIA to your house in Canada to enforce whatever legal issues you think you may have...
    Well, it's mainly I'm in the Early Access Program and want to keep a good relationship with Palm On the other hand, Palm has been pretty good with allowing hacks...
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/12/2009 at 01:58 AM.
    this method would be perfect if u have to exchange your pre and dont want to redo all the hacks u had previously
    very cool. kind of customizing the install file of the os.. basicaly making your own custom doctor so if you do screw up your pre for whatever new hack or app you try you can this will allow you to reset to a working condition and not have to start hacking and rooting from square one?

here is a question can you make a pre-rooted OS Doctor. so it will basically be an easy way to root for people by just running the jar file?
    I came from WinMo too, I had a HTC Touch Pro. So I would love to see a library of custom roms for the pre.
    I would suggest getting ahold of one of those ppf patcher thingies you see available for some iso's. This would allow you to make your changes, save it as a patch format which would be say 2MB or something, then everyone can get the webos from palm and apply the patch. This way you don't need to host a 100MB file for the entire world to download only cause you made a .001 revision to your code.

I believe this would also alleviate you from the threat of using licensed code since you are only providing changes in bytes. It would make the end user responsible for whether or not they choose to follow the will of palm (if this was something that would upset them anyway).
    On the flip side of this, I think an app to image the phone and save it as a backup image that the webOS doctor would recognize would be quite useful too. Those of us who have made numerous changes to our phone would hate to see an update screw them all up.
    This is a very exciting development!!!

I wonder if you can apply the modified WebOS doctor to the simulator to test the new ROMs or try them out before you flash your Pre?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I'm still on the outside looking in. I've read postings of people who have installed hacks and it broke some of their other programs. The replies suggested they did not uninstall correctly, but I'm still looking for a ... more fool proof way to add other programs.

Anyone want to help alleviate my concerns?

And BTW, I am all for a way to backup my profile on MY Computer, not just on Palm Backup. This is the other concern about hacks. Will the Palm restore "WebOSDoctor" restore the hacked programs I have added???

Tnks for your help.
    Bump. Has anybody done any other research on this???

if palm came down on you thered be a LOT of angry phone calls from us
    Well, it's mainly I'm in the Early Access Program and want to keep a good relationship with Palm On the other hand, Palm has been pretty good with allowing hacks...
    Create another username on the forums and post all the goodies under that name! Eh? Great plan, right?
    I don't think it would be a good idea to distribute modified Doctors either. Palm has been good to the homebrew community, and stepping on their toes could change that real quick.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    +1 same here coming from HTC HD2 to a Palm Pre love to see a Palm Pre kitchen + Visual Kitchen software.
    ░▒▓█ Palm Pre 8GB
    ░▒▓█ OS ► v1.3.5.2
    ░▒▓█ ROM date ► 11/01/2010
    ░▒▓█ Radio ► GSM Pre Unlocked
    ░▒▓█ Jailbroken ► Preware + WebOS Quick Install
    ░▒▓█ Provider ► AirTel, Mumbai, India.
    ░▒▓█ Supported ► Palm Profile, GPRS, Dial, SMS, MMS, Voicemail, Tethering via USB + Bluetooth
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast