Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Is it possible to have seperate maximum frequencies for when the screen is on vs. off?

In example.. I listen to alot of podcasts using bluetooth headphones. On the default speed of 500mhz, the oS is laggy when listening to podcasts.. (it's great at 550mhz..) - problem is, 550mhz uses too much power for me..

I would like for it to max out at ~500 (or even 250 if it can still play at that speed) normally, but 550 when the screen is on...

(currently, it spends most of the time at 550 when listening to podcasts.. doesn't make a difference if the screen is on or off..)

Is this possible with the current app?

-mark
  2.    #122  
    Here are the latest settings I'm testing (tested on WebOS 1.1):

1. exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -p 60 80 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -D -r
    2. exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -m 250000 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r

#1 scales between 125MHz and 500MHz as needed when the screen is off and is locked at 500MHz when the screen is on.

#2 is locked at 250MHz when the screen is off and locked at 500MHz when the screen is on.

Both are very stable and I don't have any video or audio artifacts. I can stream Pandora over bluetooth with both settings with the screen off with no glitches.

Can other people give these settings a try and let me know what you think?

PS: I decided not to scale with the screen on because none of the settings I or others came up with completely eliminated the video glitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Also, for what its worth I bumped the cpu speed up to 600... going for broke on this one
    howd it go...
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post

1. exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -p 60 80 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -D -r
    2. exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -m 250000 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -r

#1 scales between 125MHz and 500MHz as needed when the screen is off and is locked at 500MHz when the screen is on.

#2 is locked at 250MHz when the screen is off and locked at 500MHz when the screen is on.

Both are very stable and I don't have any video or audio artifacts. I can stream Pandora over bluetooth with both settings with the screen off with no glitches.

PS: I decided not to scale with the screen on because none of the settings I or others came up with completely eliminated the video glitches.

Im really liking option #1 Thanks Carl!
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Is it possible to have seperate maximum frequencies for when the screen is on vs. off?

In example.. I listen to alot of podcasts using bluetooth headphones. On the default speed of 500mhz, the oS is laggy when listening to podcasts.. (it's great at 550mhz..) - problem is, 550mhz uses too much power for me..

I would like for it to max out at ~500 (or even 250 if it can still play at that speed) normally, but 550 when the screen is on...

(currently, it spends most of the time at 550 when listening to podcasts.. doesn't make a difference if the screen is on or off..)

Is this possible with the current app?

-mark
    Not currently, but you could try something like option #2 in my post above. That would lock the speed at one speed while the screen is on and lock it at a different speed when the screen is off.
    Is it possible to have it scale between 250 and 500 when the screen is off, but lock at 500 when the screen is on?

I'd be willing to test that after I get 1.1 and my other hacks back working again.....
    I would like to see script #1 with min of 500 and max of 550 when screen is on and down to 125 when off.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    clipcarl: Could you modify the CPUSpeed daemon to enable smartflex when it locks the CPU frequency with the screen on? Just for me? Pretty please? lol
    Hey it would be really cool if you had it able to set speed to 250 for when you are on a call and screen is on.

BTW great work!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    clipcarl: Could you modify the CPUSpeed daemon to enable smartflex when it locks the CPU frequency with the screen on? Just for me? Pretty please? lol
    Nevermind, I did it myself!
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornbread View Post
    Hey it would be really cool if you had it able to set speed to 250 for when you are on a call and screen is on.

BTW great work!
    You mean apps telling the cpu what optimal speed it should be set to and thus reducing battery life overall?

+1
    I'm testing out a previous CPU scaling option I had been using to see how it compares. If I remove cet-cpuspeed and cpuspeed from the Pre, do I need to execute any commands to back them out of the system, the way I needed to to get them running?
    Also, if I leave the phone in Developer Mode, when is it a security risk? When I have it attached to my desktop? When WiFi is on? or Anytime?
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post

I need a little help guys, if anyone is willing. I have rooted my pre and modded the battery %, added launcher pages, flashlight, etc etc. I want to enable setting #1 but I don't quite understand how to add the scaling files onto my pre. Can someone give me a hint?
  15.    #135  
    BTW, it looks like the 1.1 update did bad things to my battery life. Be sure to test with CPUSpeed both on and off after upgrading to 1.1 if you want to figure out if CPUSpeed improves your battery life.

Thanks,
    Carl
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
    Is it possible to have it scale between 250 and 500 when the screen is off, but lock at 500 when the screen is on?

I'd be willing to test that after I get 1.1 and my other hacks back working again.....
    Yes. You could use a line like this:
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -p 60 80 -m 250000 -M 500000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -C -D -r
  17.    #137  
    I would like to see script #1 with min of 500 and max of 550 when screen is on and down to 125 when off.
    Currently this is not possible and I do not recommend it. Scaling while the screen is on causes annoying artifacts when playing video.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    Nevermind, I did it myself!
    How did you achieve this? Please share! Thanks, Carl.
  19.    #139  

BTW great work!
    Currently, the program won't do this. But when on a call the screen turns off either immediately (if you hold the phone to your ear) or after the short timeout so I'm not sure why this would be necessary?
    Last edited by clipcarl; 07/25/2009 at 01:03 PM.
  20.    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I'm testing out a previous CPU scaling option I had been using to see how it compares. If I remove cet-cpuspeed and cpuspeed from the Pre, do I need to execute any commands to back them out of the system, the way I needed to to get them running?
    All you have to do is remove the "cet-cpuspeed" file from the "/etc/event.d" directory and reboot.
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast