Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    O.K., I made sure the files copied over into the phone, got out of USB mode, rooted the phone, then went into the /media/internal directory. I keyed in cp -125000 cpuspeed /opt/sbin and here's what happened:

root@castle:/media/internal# cp -125000 cpuspeed /opt/sbin
    cp: invalid option -- 1
    BusyBox v1.11.2 () multi-call binary

Usage: cp [OPTION]... SOURCE DEST

Copy SOURCE to DEST, or multiple SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY

Options:
    -a Same as -dpR
    -d,-P Preserve links
    -H,-L Dereference all symlinks (default)
    -p Preserve file attributes if possible
    -f Force overwrite
    -i Prompt before overwrite
    -R,-r Recurse directories
    -l,-s Create (sym)links

By the way... I'm using the terminal on a MAC. Should that make any difference?

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    O.K., I made sure the files copied over into the phone, got out of USB mode, rooted the phone, then went into the /media/internal directory. I keyed in cp -125000 cpuspeed /opt/sbin and here's what happened:

root@castle:/media/internal# cp -125000 cpuspeed /opt/sbin
    cp: invalid option -- 1
    BusyBox v1.11.2 () multi-call binary

Usage: cp [OPTION]... SOURCE DEST

Copy SOURCE to DEST, or multiple SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY

Options:
    -a Same as -dpR
    -d,-P Preserve links
    -H,-L Dereference all symlinks (default)
    -p Preserve file attributes if possible
    -f Force overwrite
    -i Prompt before overwrite
    -R,-r Recurse directories
    -l,-s Create (sym)links

By the way... I'm using the terminal on a MAC. Should that make any difference?

Thanks again!
    I'm using a mac as well. cd to /media/internal and type:
    cp -i cpuspeed /opt/sbin. then hit enter.

Then cd to /opt/sbin. Than type ls and hit enter. Is cpuspeed listed?
  3.    #103  
    @pelikan3: I appreciate your willingness to help test and thank you. However, I have to warn you that if you are not reasonably comfortable running commands from the Linux command line you should probably not be doing playing around with this. If you type the wrong thing it could cause your phone not to boot properly and you would need to use WebOS Doctor to recover (and you'd lose all of you data and settings).
    What should the parameters be? Shouldn't they be 125Mhz?
    The parameters are in the last line of the file "cet-cpuspeed", this is the file that is executed when your phone boots up. The last line is what starts the cpuspeed program. I use these parameters:
    Code:
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75
    But you can stick with the default settings or try your own (at your own risk, I wouldn't recommend unless you know what you are doing). If you open "cet-cpuspeed" there are descriptions of what each parameter does.
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I'm using a mac as well. cd to /media/internal and type:
    cp -i cpuspeed /opt/sbin. then hit enter.

Then cd to /opt/sbin. Than type ls and hit enter. Is cpuspeed listed?
    root@castle:/# cd /media/internal
    root@castle:/media/internal# cp -i cpuspeed /opt/sbin
    cp: overwrite '/opt/sbin'? y
    cp: cannot create '/opt/sbin': No such file or directory
    root@castle:/media/internal#
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    @pelikan3: I appreciate your willingness to help test and thank you. However, I have to warn you that if you are not reasonably comfortable running commands from the Linux command line you should probably not be doing playing around with this. If you type the wrong thing it could cause your phone not to boot properly and you would need to use WebOS Doctor to recover (and you'd lose all of you data and settings).
    No worries, I'm comfortable/brave/foolish enough to try this, and happy to use Web OS Doctor to recover if needed. So far, it doesn't seem to be letting me execute any of the commands anyway. Not sure what's different about my phone. I was running another string of CPU-Scaling previously, but I removed the command string from my Pre and rebooting disables the commands anyway. If this doesn't work, I'll just switch back and have to telnet in at some point after each reboot. It's annoying but safe(r).
    Here is the previous solution I was (and now am again) using. Again, it doesn't stick on reboot, and the various methods people have mentioned that will make it (installing dropbear, whatever that is) make me more than a little nervous. YOUR solution, CLIPCARL, seems very straight forward, especially if I just leave the default settings in place.

Anyway, here's what I've been using (and I did remove it before I tried yours):

------------------------------------------------------
    After you've rooted your phone, type:

cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

echo ondemand > ./scaling_governor

Then take this file:

www.elysian-online.com

Note, the file, which I don't think is available for download at that source anymore, contains the following:

# Enables cpu scaling

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

respawn

script
    echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo "30" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    end script

Right click and save as. Make sure it saves with no extension, no .txt's, nothing. Make sure its called cpu-scaling

and put it onto your Pre via USB. It'll be in /media/internal if you just drop it in the main directory when in USB Drive mode. After that, login to root via telnet again, and type:

cp /media/internal/cpu-scaling /etc/event.d

That should get it working. To test if it works, you can go to the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats directory, and type:

more time_in_state

then press up and hit enter and you can see it changes some values all the time. If you watch, while the phone is idle you'll see it spends more time in 125000 than any other speed.

--------------------------------------------

When I execute as described, I get the following readings:

root@castle:/# cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats
    root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats# more time_in_state
    600000 1627
    550000 757
    500000 421001
    250000 290
    125000 23392
    root@castle:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats#

So, it does work, it just doesn't stick on reboot and I have to telnet back in and run all the commands again (the file does stay on the "drive", though)

Perhaps there's something left over from this, even when I reboot, remove the file, and replace it with the two from this thread?

Anyway, I just wanted to show this in case it was of value in answering why your solution isn't working for me. I've taken up more then enough of everyone's time. Thanks for your help.
  8.    #108  
    root@castle:/# cd /media/internal
    root@castle:/media/internal# cp -i cpuspeed /opt/sbin
    cp: overwrite '/opt/sbin'? y
    cp: cannot create '/opt/sbin': No such file or directory
    root@castle:/media/internal#
    It looks like you have not installed optware so you have no /opt/sbin directory. You should install optware first or you could try this commands before installing CPUSpeed:
    mkdir -p /opt/sbin
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    It looks like you have not installed optware so you have no /opt/sbin directory. You should install optware first or you could try this commands before installing CPUSpeed:
    mkdir -p /opt/sbin
    Unfortunately, it won't work, so I need optware. But, I can't find a clean working link to download/install it.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Can this work in conjunction with SmartReflex or will it cause my Pre to brick like the on_demand method does?

And why when i run

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    It comes up with

Code:
    600000 5818
    550000 1679
    500000 867
    250000 527
    125000 50379
    even though i have my max set at 550000?
    Last edited by seekis; 07/20/2009 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm definitely not the expert, but I've been lurking long enough to have seen a LOT of "use SmartReflex at your peril" posts. Apparently, if you take any risks with it, it will brick your phone. A straightforward CPU-Scaling (NOT overclocking) method is the only safe way to mess with CPU speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by seekis View Post
    Can this work in conjunction with SmartReflex or will it cause my Pre to brick like the on_demand method does?

And why when i run

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    It comes up with

Code:
    600000 5818
    550000 1679
    500000 867
    250000 527
    125000 50379
    even though i have my max set at 550000?
    Mine was only going up to 550000 though, nothing in the 600000 range
    Last edited by pelikan3; 07/20/2009 at 09:32 PM.
    OK... so I installed Optware and got the CPU Scaler working... Should I be going into my phone and shutting off the Developer Mode Enabler, or will that disable what I've done?
    By the way... is it unsafe to set my max at 600000 as long as I'm not locking it there? And, what kind of programs or processes would take my system up to 600Mhz anyway?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 07/20/2009 at 09:37 PM.
    OK... so I installed Optware and got the CPU Scaler working... Should I be going into my phone and shutting off the Developer Mode Enabler, or will that disable what I've done?
    YES, leaving it enabled is a big security risk and disabling will not disable anything. There is a homebrew app that makes it easier to enable/disable Dev mode b/c you'll probably be using it some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    By the way... is it unsafe to set my max at 600000 as long as I'm not locking it there? And, what kind of programs or processes would take my system up to 600Mhz anyway?
    I haven't had any problems setting my max to 600Mhz but YMMV. Also, it isn't that something would burden your Pre so much it would need to go to 600Mhz, it's that running at 600Mhz will just make everything run faster, even simple stuff like browsing your contacts list or loading any app.
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
    YES, leaving it enabled is a big security risk and disabling will not disable anything. There is a homebrew app that makes it easier to enable/disable Dev mode b/c you'll probably be using it some more.

I haven't had any problems setting my max to 600Mhz but YMMV. Also, it isn't that something would burden your Pre so much it would need to go to 600Mhz, it's that running at 600Mhz will just make everything run faster, even simple stuff like browsing your contacts list or loading any app.
    THANKS! And I did change the max setting in cet-cpuspeed. Correct? I haven't noticed any jump to 600mHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
    I use these parameters:
    Code:
    What do they mean, by the way? I understand that M 600000 is the max speed, and -i 2 is the check/adjust cpu speed ( ) times per second (how many times is 2 if 10 means once per second?) I also know the -r is restore previous cpu speed on exit, but what does -r -p 55 75 mean?

If I wanted to use your parameters, I would replace the entire string of

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 600000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -D -C -r

with

?

Thanks again!

(great movie, by the way)
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    If I wanted to use your parameters, I would replace the entire string of

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 600000 -a /sys/devices/platform/lcd.0/panel_state -A 10 -D -C -r

with

?
    Correct.

As for what the other parameters mean, the explanations should be in the comments of the cet-cpuspeed file. Someone else here might be able to explain it better.
    I found that, when I ran clipcarl's programs unaltered, everything was fine. But, when I changed the parameters to

my video didn't work ( I got errors with each video I tried to run). But, when I switched to HebrewHammer's settings,

everything ran fine.

So... for the uninitiated, besides the obviously shorter string, what are the differences, between the two that lets video run under his settings?

That aside...

I took my phone off the charger this morning around 8am, used it pretty regularly throughout the day, ONLY put it on USB connection to test the speed and I don't think I even used my car charger much if at all today. And, I am still at 38% power at a few minutes shy of midnight. Not too bad considering I killed my battery in a few short hours when I first got the phone. I think the combination of CPU scaling and battery break in has made this a real workhorse device.

Thanks to everyone, and, especially clipcarl for writing the programs and HebrewHammer for helping me implement it!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I found that, when I ran clipcarl's programs unaltered, everything was fine. But, when I changed the parameters to

my video didn't work ( I got errors with each video I tried to run). But, when I switched to HebrewHammer's settings,

everything ran fine.

So... for the uninitiated, besides the obviously shorter string, what are the differences, between the two that lets video run under his settings?

That aside...

I took my phone off the charger this morning around 8am, used it pretty regularly throughout the day, ONLY put it on USB connection to test the speed and I don't think I even used my car charger much if at all today. And, I am still at 38% power at a few minutes shy of midnight. Not too bad considering I killed my battery in a few short hours when I first got the phone. I think the combination of CPU scaling and battery break in has made this a real workhorse device.

Thanks to everyone, and, especially clipcarl for writing the programs and HebrewHammer for helping me implement it!
    Have you tried running on 550mhz? If so, how does it compare with 600mhz in regards to battery life?
    Haven't tried it yet. And, to be fair, I haven't gotten readings that show any notable time in the 600Mhz range. Mostly in the single or double digits, vs hundreds or thousands for the rest. The two most unused frequencies seem to be 600 and 250.