Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I would love to see a version of this that uses smartreflex (instead of cpu scaling), but changes the frequency from 500 --> 600 when the screen is turned on..
    -mark
    Changing from 500MHz to 600MHz when the screen is on is frequency scaling. So it would still have the same crash issues with SmartReflex as any other CPU scaling.

What I was thinking about trying though is modifying CPUSpeed to explicitly disable SmartReflex when it's about to switch processor speed and re-enable it afterwards. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet and I'm not sure if it would be worth trying. Did anyone actually get better battery by enabling SmartReflex?

Also, there are other SmartReflex methods in the kernel that I haven't tried either. It's possible that using an alternative method my play nicer with CPU scaling.
    @clipcarl - I uploaded the patches for the people that might want to use them and for myself to have a repo =) I agree that things are not optimal.

I'm wondering why you are having issues with CONFIG_PREEMPT. Looking at the kernel patch for webOS 1.0.4, it seems that CONFIG_PREEMPT is enabled along with CONFIG_HZ=100. However, CONFIG_NO_HZ is NOT enabled (have you tried compiling with this enabled?). From what I have read, this may affect the ondemand governor and there appears to be a patch (in May 2009) for some corner cases.

I'm putting some notes on the wiki. Bottom of page pre dev wiki: CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    @clipcarl - It's better battery performance than a stock Pre, IMHO. Also seems more stable than SmartReflex. My only gripe with SmartReflex was my camera app would stutter under SmartReflex at 600Mhz. No stutter with your script. I'll just installed your script a few days ago, so I'll see how it goes. Appreciate the effort, working great so far.

-J
    Palm III --> PalmVx + Omnisky --> Samsung i730 --> Treo 650 --> Samsung i760 --> AT&T Tilt --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I'm going to try this script next..

I was using smartreflex locked at 600mhz.. my battery life suffered a bit when listening to podcasts using a bluetooth headset, but my phone was much more responsive (while listening to podcasts..) - had this configuration for 4 days without any issues..

This morning, my phone was running hotter then normal when I picked it up off the charger. and it's crashed on me 4 times (requiring taking out the battery/putting back in..) - weird.. will try this program next in place of smart reflex..
    -mark
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    What I was thinking about trying though is modifying CPUSpeed to explicitly disable SmartReflex when it's about to switch processor speed and re-enable it afterwards. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet and I'm not sure if it would be worth trying. Did anyone actually get better battery by enabling SmartReflex?
    I got better battery using SmartFlex locked at 600mhz. I would definitely be interested in trying out your CPUSpeed app with SmartFlex. PM me if you're interested in trying this...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerich007 View Post
    VitViper -
    Is that the entire line in your current cet-cpuspeed script? Did you take off the -a switch to monitor the screen state file?
    Yes. I don't monitor the screen state... I don't want it locking the speed based on the screen being on (it gets HOT @ 600mhz without SmartFlex, hence why I would love a cpuspeed with SmartFlex...).
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Tried it out for a day or two but not so much different from when I was using ondemand. I normally use the pre for browsing the internet more than anything so I deplete my battery pretty quick.

I'm gonna be trying it with SmartReflex now.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    i have been running this with better results than Smartflex in regards to battery life. I had my phone off the charger for 3 hours and noticed that i was still at 100%. After 12 hours i was at 60%. I currently have 2 exchange accounts pushing immediately and 1 yahoo account pushing email every hour
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I installed this today and am using the variables:

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75
    Running great so far, no lockups and the OS seems snappier too (possibly placebo effect since I don't have anything to compare to)
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nowise View Post

Running great so far, no lockups and the OS seems snappier too (possibly placebo effect since I don't have anything to compare to)
    You're welcome
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    You're welcome
    My hero!

Seriously though my Pre runs a lot cooler now too. Thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by nowise View Post

I tried using this one for a few minutes today myself. If you use Pandora or the music player, it will more than likely decrease your battery life since it appears to be running those two at 550-600 mHz the majority of the time, even though they work right at 500mHz.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post

Thanks for your help, and innovations. I think listening to MP3 at 125000 is really going to help the battery, I would be interested in how that works streaming to bluetooth headphones though, which I plan to get.
    Streaming on bluetooth headphones really taxes the system. Using the flags "exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75" - my phone spends most of the time @ 600mhz while using bluetooth stereo..

-mark
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Streaming on bluetooth headphones really taxes the system. Using the flags "exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75" - my phone spends most of the time @ 600mhz while using bluetooth stereo..

-mark
    I would guess that's why people were having skipping issues with audio over bluetooth... CPU speed was too low to keep up. Another reason I want to look into using SmartFlex with CPUSpeed... running 600mhz with SmartFlex kept the device cooler than just locking 600mhz.

BTW, currently I can go all day at work and use less than 20% battery. This is with a few web site checks, a couple SMS's and Exchange Push. That's about on-par with what my iPhone used to do. Don't really care to use the Pre to stream Pandora or listen to music. 8GB is a joke as far as storage goes (only 7gb really). I have my 32gb iTouch that lasts way longer than the iPhone or Pre, even with occasional gaming on it.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Some testing of "exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75"
    600000 552029
    550000 248094
    500000 242079
    250000 1215079
    125000 9097405

After about 3 1/2 minutes of music playing
    600000 556688
    550000 252321
    500000 248509
    250000 1219970
    125000 9098017

Total time spent in each frequency:

600mhz 4659
    550mhz 4227
    500mhz 6430
    250mhz 4891
    125mhz 612
    Test of "exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 600000 -r -p 30 60"
    600000 545236
    550000 245128
    500000 237101
    250000 1207222
    125000 9087723

About 3 1/2 minutes of music playing:
    600000 548665
    550000 247383
    500000 241065
    250000 1214564
    125000 9091895

Times:
    600mhz 3429
    550mhz 2255
    500mhz 3964
    250mhz 7342
    125mhz 4172
    Testing was done with Music Player. Pandora has quirks and bugs of it's own that go beyond any kind of cpu scaling.

If you do a lot of music playing running:
    exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 600000 -r -p 30 60
    May be a better option.You'll spend way more time at 125mhz. The UI isn't responsive when the LCD is on with this option... Of course you could always lock the CPU speed when the display is on... (welcome to MAJOR battery drainage and it getting warm... even at stock 500mhz). I prefer to never lock the frequency and let the scaling do it's job. I only tested these two settings since they give decent video playback without crazy flickering. But even if you run "exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75" you're not going to spend ALL your time at 500-600mhz.
    @ exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 10 -M 600000 -r -p 30 60 I stayed in 125 quite a bit more, but the UI was too laggy for me..

so far Id say go the exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 2 -M 600000 -r -p 55 75 route. Im still trying other settings as well.. Wanna stay in 125 as much as the previous flags, however as I said far too laggy. Anyone have any other suggestions to try out?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    I would guess that's why people were having skipping issues with audio over bluetooth... CPU speed was too low to keep up. Another reason I want to look into using SmartFlex with CPUSpeed... running 600mhz with SmartFlex kept the device cooler than just locking 600mhz.
    I've came to terms with my Pre and bluetooth where i Live.. If I want the audio to not cut out, I keep the pre above my wallet in my BACK pocket.. If it's in the front, it cuts out, period.. doesn't matter how fast I'm running 500vs 600)

Good enough workaround for me..

I have my 32gb iTouch that lasts way longer than the iPhone or Pre, even with occasional gaming on it.
    I agree that the battery life on my ipod 2g 32gb is generally awesome, but some games can bring it down to it's knees.. "knights onrush" will drain my ipod touch's battery in about an hour in some of the later levels.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I've came to terms with my Pre and bluetooth where i Live.. If I want the audio to not cut out, I keep the pre above my wallet in my BACK pocket.. If it's in the front, it cuts out, period.. doesn't matter how fast I'm running 500vs 600)

Good enough workaround for me..
    That's because bluetooth bandwidth generally sucks. EVen in the best situations I'm shocked to see it do 1mb. I have yet to test Bluetooth tethering to run more than like.... .5mb on the Pre (where as my USBNet tether tested 2.5mbps... hehe).

I agree that the battery life on my ipod 2g 32gb is generally awesome, but some games can bring it down to it's knees.. "knights onrush" will drain my ipod touch's battery in about an hour in some of the later levels.
    -mark
    Well... gaming is gaming... hehe
    I decided today to remove the screen off parameters (but I'd rather keep it at 500mHz) so I put:

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 1 -M 500000 -r -p 10 55

Unlike the ondemand governor's scaling, this has still been rock solid for me, and while I do still get a skip or two every now and then with Bluetooth audio, it's honestly tolerable enough (no worse than FM radio, that's for sure).

And even the version that only did it when the screen was off saved my battery a bunch, so I think this will help it even more.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I decided today to remove the screen off parameters (but I'd rather keep it at 500mHz) so I put:

exec /opt/sbin/cpuspeed -i 1 -M 500000 -r -p 10 55

Unlike the ondemand governor's scaling, this has still been rock solid for me, and while I do still get a skip or two every now and then with Bluetooth audio, it's honestly tolerable enough (no worse than FM radio, that's for sure).

And even the version that only did it when the screen was off saved my battery a bunch, so I think this will help it even more.
    That one gives a very snappy UI, however watch out, it'll flicker in videos.
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast