Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazer777 View Post
    I can't get passed step 9 can somebody please help me?
    Sorry, would like to help but I canīt seem to find the post where Step 9 is detailed. Can you give me the post no. and Iīll see if I can lend you a hand.

Post duplicated because I didnīt include original message text.
    I have been a few days with SmartReflex @ 600Mhz. I fisrt installed SR @ 500Mhz and then edited the /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex script so that the cpu would run at 600Mhz (using vi, insert the following lines. itīs twice because Iīve read on some forums that it needs to be echoīd twice, no idea why)

echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

Whoever has bricked their pre doing this, I trust youīve edited the files on your pre or using a similar linux system. If you retreive the files using WebOS QI and edit them in notepad or wordpad on a Windows system you might screw it up because you will get ^M at the end of each line. Iīm not an expert so I donīt know how WebOS will interpret this. I installed terminal from PreWare and edited them directly on the pre. A bit of a pain, but gets the job done.

Anyway, I just wanted to inform everyone that at 600Mhz I have experienced on a few occassions extreme lag, for 10 secs or more doing varios things, scrolling web pages, opening new apps, scrolling through launcher etc. The pre doesnīt freeze entirely but it was enough to worry me so Iīve reverted back to 500Mhz and will see how things go. As Iīve said on previous posts, IMO the speed gain wasnīt enormous and we should weigh in the risk factor. Iīve read on other forums on precentral (sorry, canīt remember the exact thread) that at 600Mhz it can seriously affect the lifespan of your CPU. As far as battery goes itīs not doing badly at all, streaming Shoutcast radio over Wi-Fi for at least 3 hours today and still got around 50% bat left. I honestly think though, that to get battery life to acceptable levels I will have to invest in a different battery. Tweaking can only do so much. Still absolutely no problems with overheating or anything like that. Pre stayed nice and cool at 600Mhz with numerous apps open, watching YouTube etc.
    In the same vein as NMawer42, here's my experience with CPU Scaling for power saving (no overclocking, max_freq of 500Mhz).

I set up the scaling last wednesday so I could test it over the holidays. My power usage was not normal because of the traveling but it did seem hold up quite well. There was only minimal lag and I had about 10-15% more battery life than I expected at the end of the day.

I think the memory clean-up function was somehow affected. This morning, after almost a full week under the scaling, I was getting the dreaded "too many cards open" message when I tried to open a 2nd card. I gave it a couple of minutes to purge the memory but it didn't get better.

I used the manual patch method I described in post #628, so I did a power cycle to purge the settings and it recovered completely and was back to its smooth, snappy, power-hungry self.

It's possible the problem was related to Preader, which occassionally acts funny on some of my ebooks. I'd read most of a novel sunday and it flaked out a couple of times.

I'm going to give it a day or two without the patch to make sure the memory problems aren't unrelated, and then replace the patch.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derik123derik123 View Post
    ah, i'm currently testing the smartflex 600 with both radios(wfi and evDO) on *gps Off* and screen quite low, turning off the screen when not in use. and its dropping about 16.04 and hour.

going to be testing a real days situation tomorrow(usually have both radios off when not using)

i'd still like a link to the 600 cpu scaling patch though.
    I tried the SR 500 for a couple days. I found it a bit snappier, but not worth the extra battery drain, which I did notice. Then, about an hour ago, the phone finally started freezing up after about 5 minutes following power-up.

So I've removed the patch and installed the CPU Scaling. We'll see how this matches up. I figure whichever one doesn't make my phone stop working will likely have it running better than no patch installed at all.
    Well Iīve been using the cet-cpuspeed script for a couple of days now and am extremely pleased with the results. Have had no lag or freezing at all using the first exec command detailed on page one of this thread with -M 550000. Preferred not to let it go to 600Mhz as my pre has sometimes frozen at that speed with SR and CPU Scaling. Battery life is nominally better, obviously the major savings are when the device screen is off which makes the CPU speed drop. Also the actual command which the script executes hardly uses any resources. Although I still think that to get any major improvements with my normal usage Iīll have to buy a different battery. Any suggestions?
  6.    #666  
    Quote Originally Posted by omi205 View Post
    This thing i have to say is hands down terrible. im sorry but i think im going to have to get a new pre becasue of this thing. I was scared to try the smartflex 500 because of issues to some users, but when i saw this i thought it would be alittle safer as the owner recomends in the first paragraph of the forum. I tried everything to get my pre back to normal, yes even dr. it twice. It seems as though their is a problem with the cpu it self its not working correctly. when the pre first is on it will freez up and then jumble through a bunch of apps and commands and then shut off. this is deffinitly considered to be DANGEROUS dont do it he probably put some virus in the download file. what a guy trying to kill everyones pre
    Really? You're suggesting I put a virus in this software that's been installed on hundreds of thousands or millions of Linux machines over several years (it used to be included in a few major Linux distributions) but that you're the first one that noticed it's a virus? Even though I also distribute the source code?

You, sir, are an *****.
    i scanored the file with windows defender its a virus!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oc80z View Post
    i scanored the file with windows defender its a virus!!!
    Yeah, I always check all my webOS and Linux files with Windows Defender before uploading to my device.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9.    #670  
    It's all part of my plot to take over the world starting with your Palm Pres.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    As soon as I run this command, my Pre freezes and I have to remove the battery.

Code:
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    Does that mean my Pre CPU isn't capable of scaling?

Smartreflex works though.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Really? You're suggesting I put a virus in this software that's been installed on hundreds of thousands or millions of Linux machines over several years (it used to be included in a few major Linux distributions) but that you're the first one that noticed it's a virus? Even though I also distribute the source code?

You, sir, are an *****.
    Correct.

I've been using your cet-cpuspeed scaling method at 550/250mhz for several months now, clipcarl, and it's been great for me. I must say that I initially didn't understand your resistance to making this a patch for wider distribution.

This Preware fiasco -- and the associated comments from a lot of these clowns -- proves you were definitely right, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post

Quite possibly. Remember, this turns something on that the manufacturer never promised would work. You weren't sold a Pre with a 600Mhz CPU with clock scaling and voltage controls. You were sold Pre with a 500Mhz CPU. It just happens that the same production line also produces CPUs that are up to 600Mhz in speed, that may or may not have clock scaling and/or voltage controls.

When you play with these tricks you are essentially spinning the big wheel of fate to see if you got the big jackpot (600Mhz + cpu scaling + smart reflex), a lesser prize of one or more of those features, or if you got exactly what you paid for (500Mhz). If you luck out, hooray. If not, well, sorry, you got exactly what you paid for with your Pre.

Sounds like you have Smart reflex but no scaling. Hey, if it extends your battery life, go team.
    noob question...

i tried following the directions in the original post, have no idea if it worked or not. how do i check? and also, how do i reverse/remove the code? ty
    Last edited by cheburashka; 12/18/2009 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    nood question...

i tried following the directions in the original post, have no idea if it worked or not. how do i check? and also, how do i reverse/remove the code? ty
    Take a look at @cc92260's earlier post, install Terminal through Preware or webOS Quick Install if you haven't already then fire it up and type:

Quote Originally Posted by cc92260 View Post
    root@palm-webos-device:/var/home/root# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    To remove it I will defer to the experts of the forum since I did not follow the OP's instructions and mainly have experimented with those patches only through Preware...
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    Take a look at @cc92260's earlier post, install Terminal through Preware or webOS Quick Install if you haven't already then fire it up and type:

To remove it I will defer to the experts of the forum since I did not follow the OP's instructions and mainly have experimented with those patches only through Preware...
    ah, thanx... :-)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    As soon as I run this command, my Pre freezes and I have to remove the battery.

Code:
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

It means your particular CPU doesn't like scaling, Mine is the same way; it will run at 600MHz happily with SmartReflex, but locks up the minute I try the ondemand governor. My previous Pre did both just fine. There just isn't any guarantee that any particular Pre's cpu will work with either, since they aren't tested for that before leaving the factory.
    I've been running with SmartReflex 600 since the patch was released and have had zero issues. It's a ton faster, and I don't think I could live without it now.
    overclocking shows lots of freezing with 1.3.5 update...anyone have the same effect?
    Smartreflex 600 seems unhappy after 1.3.5 update. Kind of a bummer.