Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    nope phone reset at 6% and didnt work
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    thanks a lot guys
    Hi Everybody!!!
    Do you think you can further explain what exactly CPU Scaling is? I'm not sure I understand fully & I installed the patch prom Preware but I don't know what to look for. I'd love to help, God knows how many times I've crashed my phone. One more time won't hurt, I'd just like to know what it does exactly and what I look for. Right now I installed the Power Save CPU Scaling 600MHz. Thanks & I appreciate it! =)
    cpu scaling does just that when then pre does not need 600MHz it scales back the processor to 250MHz to save battery power
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I have installed the 5Mhz cpu scaling patch and still see the feq drop to 125 in the time interval file. The powersave-cpu-scaling does indicate 250 as the min freq...

The phones seem to be working fine....

I did also reboot.

any thoughts why it still hits 125...?
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    I have installed the 5Mhz cpu scaling patch and still see the feq drop to 125 in the time interval file. The powersave-cpu-scaling does indicate 250 as the min freq...

The phones seem to be working fine....

I did also reboot.

any thoughts why it still hits 125...?
    Reboot your phone. Use it for a hour. Then post the cat log here.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I installed the cpu scaling patch in Preware (the 500mhz one) and now my pre won't boot. It gets stuck at the "palm" logo.

What do I need to do to get my phone working again?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csalinardi View Post
    I installed the cpu scaling patch in Preware (the 500mhz one) and now my pre won't boot. It gets stuck at the "palm" logo.

What do I need to do to get my phone working again?
    pull the battery.. I had to do this twice when I installed the SmartReflex patch.
    Thanks, I tried removing the battery numerous times and it's still doing it. I might have to try the webosdoctor thing mentioned a few pages back...
    Like some others I don't have a dangerous category in Preware???

I'm using Preware v0.9.12
    After I launch Preware I go into Available Packages -> then Patch (108) -> and there is NO Dangerous category!

I want to try out the patches...what am I missing?

thanks

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    Has anybody noticed the EVDO is gone once you install the patch? I just uninstalled and it magically came back. Creator, any reason for this? I installed the Powersave CPU Scaling 600. I really like the idea and in the short time I used it notice major spead boost, including on the lock screen which always bugs me with the slow response. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Update:
    I uninstalled the CPU Scaling and installed the Smartreflex 600. The evdo works on this patch. Anybody think of a reason the other patch doesn't work?
    Last edited by fsuphi1490; 11/23/2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Update
    Ok, my phone is alive again after webosdoctor 1.3.1. Going to take a while to get everything back though!!!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i have a very stable (crossing fingers) install of the smartreflex patch. when you reboot, shut down your pre all the way and let it sit for several minutes. then restart.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    why is the patch so dangerous? I installed it and nothing bad happened for 12 hours, I uninstalled it today though bc preware said it was "obsolete"
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGk View Post
    why is the patch so dangerous? I installed it and nothing bad happened for 12 hours, I uninstalled it today though bc preware said it was "obsolete"
    exactly. my pre is faster and more stable than ever. now i'm afraid when i have to update again and remove the patch. do i dare reinstall.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    is there still video flicker when using on demand scaling?
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    I have read almost everything in this thread. I downloaded the Powersave CPU scaling 500 MHZ from Preware and it shows nothing in the launcher after restarting it. How do I know if it is downloaded and working? Also I have seen people writting about having it turned on or off, so how do you do that? I just dont know how to know if its on and working. Anyone got that info?
  18.    #598  
    I haven't been on this thread for a while... Sorry about that. To summarize my experiences and the information collected from users in this thread: none of this is worth it.

First, there is no method that is completely stable on every Pre. Weirdly, Pres vary wildly when it comes to battery life and their ability to to run the various methods described here. It almost seems as if Palm buys its chips from TI's reject bin and they're only guaranteed to work when underclocked to the stock 500MHz. My method (the original post) is probably the most stable on the most Pres, but even it doesn't work on all devices. The other methods (ondemand governor and smartreflex) are a lot less stable but some Pres will run them just fine. Frankly, none of these techniques is stable enough for it to be generally available and whoever put it in Preware didn't do anyone any favors.

Second, even when you can find a method that is stable on your Pre, all of these methods only give marginal improvements in battery life at best. I have tried all of the methods on all of my own Pres (and I've been through a lot of them) and at best I might get an extra 15% increase in battery life. In my opinion that's not worth the stability issues and headache.

So my first recommendation is not to use any of this. But if you must and you want the best battery life with the most stability and fewest glitches I recommend using the method in the original post and have it lock the speed at 500MHz with the screen on and at 250MHz with the screen off.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Im not doing it for an increase in battery life. I want the increase in speed and use smartreflex to mitigate the difference in power consumption.

The Pre at 600mhz is much snappier than it is at 500.
    Weirdly, Pres vary wildly when it comes to battery life and their ability to to run the various methods described here. It almost seems as if Palm buys its chips from TI's reject bin and they're only guaranteed to work when underclocked to the stock 500MHz.
    It's pretty standard for most chip manufacturers to build all the chips on the same line and then "bin" them based on the QA/QC testing. The difference between a 1.8 and 2.0Ghz Intel processor often is that the 1.8 didn't test out at 2.0Ghz. The single core CPUs like Core Solo are often Core Duo chips that have one defective core that's been sealed off. The overclock-friendly CPUs are when the production lines reliably produce CPUs that pass QA at a higher clock-speed than their price "bin."

If palm didn't plan to use the smartreflex and scaling features (possibly because they feared the way it might interfere with video playback and multitasking), their order to TI didn't require smartreflex/scaling certified processors. It cuts down the price and doesn't affect their needs.
    Last edited by kigmatzomat; 11/24/2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: response